The Student Room Group

What months do Master's run from?

Hello,

Simple question, do Masters run until the same time as degrees? Or do they start/finish earlier/later?

Cheers
There's no standard answer. Most are 12 months long (Sept-Sept or Oct-Oct). Some let you start at different times of the year (Jan and May being most common of those that do). Check websites of courses you're interested in.
Reply 2
I can only comment on Humanities courses in general, but my experience was as above.

With a taught Humanities Masters, usually the first two terms will be teaching/lectures/seminars, with assessments based on the course content. Sometime around Easter the teaching will stop and you'll have your last assignepment deadlines. After that, the rest of your academic year will be concentrated on your dissertation.

You get Christmas, Easter and summer university holidays free of teaching, but I found that I worked through them on assignments/dissertation.

These are generalisations and other Masters courses might be different with e.g. lab work, industry placements etc.
In my experience the attendance is the same as undergrad for the first two thirds of the course whereby you're attending uni Sept to May/June with all the usual holidays included. After that you spend the summer up until September working on your dissertation. You don't necessarily need to be on campus at this stage depending on the nature of your project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending