The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by demigawdz
Is a major is math at MIT possible if I get 3A*'s in math, Further math and additional further maths (A2)?
Also 3 A's in the respective AS levels and an A/B in AS physics?

What would get me a scholarship because it is very expensive to study in america?
thank you

I do not know the policies at MIT. But 3 A*s will get you anywhere as long as you perform well at interview. I imagine you will have to sit the SAT tests though, as it is an American uni.
They are good grades but you'd also need a strong SAT score and outstanding references. May be better to vary your subjects a little more though. Remeber the acceptance rate for MIT is 8% (to put into perspective Cambridge is 20%) so even with high grades and a strong application there is a good chance you will be rejected. A scholarship is obviously even harder to get so make sure you think realistically.
Applying to university in the US is very different than applying to UK universities to be accepted by the top universities in the US you need to have a lot of extracurricular you need to do the SAT and the ACT and you need to submit essay's in your application. It is possible to do but as a UK student but applying to universities like Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/Warwick would be much easier since they focus much more on academics which you seem to excel at and would be worth a similar amount compared to a university like MIT.
May I ask why MIT? Cambridge and Oxford have got great math courses with Harvard topping them. :tongue:
Original post by Imperion
May I ask why MIT? Cambridge and Oxford have got great math courses with Harvard topping them. :tongue:

*Cambridge... We'll leave oxford out of this one :wink:
Original post by jjsnyder
*Cambridge... We'll leave oxford out of this one :wink:

What...? They don't have undergrad maths? (**** you league rankings :angry:)
What...? They don't have undergrad maths? (**** you league rankings :angry:)

They do :') It was a joke, Oxford have a good undergrad course, but the majority will agree that Cambridge's is better! There really isn't much in it though
They do :':wink: It was a joke, Oxford have a good undergrad course, but the majority will agree that Cambridge's is better! There really isn't much in it though

Oh well... **** :indiff: I would also agree, Cambridge's course is better.
Oh well... **** :indiff: I would also agree, Cambridge's course is better.

The MAT test just does not challenge candidates enough I think. STEP is ridiculously difficult, but it means everyone that gets in will be very good. So if you think you can do it, go for it!
The MAT test just does not challenge candidates enough I think. STEP is ridiculously difficult, but it means everyone that gets in will be very good. So if you think you can do it, go for it!

I'm not the one who made the thread. My aim is Finance at LSE :tongue:
I'm not the one who made the thread. My aim is Finance at LSE :tongue:

Ahh i see, never mind then! That sounds good, hope your exams go well! :smile:
It's extremely difficult to be accepted by an American university from UK, it's probably 10x easier for domestic applicants.

Also, you need really good references/EC's to be considered at a top ivy/MIT.

Not trying to put you off, even with 4A* you would have a minuscule chance of being accepted. MIT isn't exactly renowned for it's mathematics though, the best uni for maths is right here and easier to get into. Cambridge.
Ahh i see, never mind then! That sounds good, hope your exams go well! :smile:

Reply 14
Wouldn't you prefer to go Cambridge and then transfer? (though they only allow the top candidates to do this)
Screw mit maths. Mit maths students went to cambridge and couldnt handle it. Cambridge is the best for Maths in the world and on average MIT will have similar amount of olaces but more applicants that is why the rate is so low. Also in America Universities take care to the person and all other aspects where cambridge literally only care about how good you are at maths.
Cambridge maths ftw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by demigawdz
Is a major is math at MIT possible if I get 3A*'s in math, Further math and additional further maths (A2)?
Also 3 A's in the respective AS levels and an A/B in AS physics?

What would get me a scholarship because it is very expensive to study in america?
thank you

Bear in mind that the international admissions rate into MIT is ~2%. That pool includes numerous International Olympiad medalists and people with impressive research/EC backgrounds.

I was at MIT last summer for a selective programme and this info is directly from the AdComs I spoke to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I do not truly know which one is better for maths but MIT is a "stronger" brand.

And by the way "better for Maths"?
What does this mean?
Better for the individual that want to read maths...
1. Cambridge
2. Imperial/Oxford/Warwick (Not sure where Durham goes? Oh well.)
3. MIT

/thread
Original post by IFapToEquations
1. Cambridge
2. Imperial/Oxford/Warwick (Not sure where Durham goes? Oh well.)
3. MIT

/thread

Maybe in terms of degree rigour but MIT has the prestige that the UK uni's can't really touch.

Also, dat endowment.

Latest