The Student Room Group

OCR Computing F451 June 2015

Anybody doing this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Yes how are you revising for it? I haven't learnt much this year :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Yes how are you revising for it? I haven't learnt much this year :frown:

For f451 just making notes/past papers. However for f452 do you have any useful resources?
Original post by Yousf
For f451 just making notes/past papers. However for f452 do you have any useful resources?

Same, there's a lot to go through and make notes on, i might just do the past papers direcrly and learn the mark scheme too. I haven't learnt any theory at all this year.

F452 i have been using this: www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/77638724/device_features
Reply 4
Same, there's a lot to go through and make notes on, i might just do the past papers direcrly and learn the mark scheme too. I haven't learnt any theory at all this year.

F452 i have been using this: www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/77638724/device_features

You still have a solid week, try and get as much done as possible. The questions do tend to repeat, so doing past papers directly shouldn't be too bad.
Original post by Yousf
You still have a solid week, try and get as much done as possible. The questions do tend to repeat, so doing past papers directly shouldn't be too bad.

I will try :smile: how you finding computing at you keeping it for A2?
Reply 6
I will try :smile: how you finding computing at you keeping it for A2?

Might do, depends.
F451 .. seems like a walk in the park ...
Then there's F452 ... which I am literally *** myself over ... Then I've got a maths exam to worry about
Just keep thinking "Short term pain, long term gain"
Are you ready for this exam? :smile:
How are you revising?

Eh, I'm pretty confident for F451, I'm just making notes again and again from the little book and hoping it sticks! F452 is more of a worry, but I've booked in for a one-to-one session with my teacher the day before so hopefully it won't be too bad!
Original post by GreenPlum
Eh, I'm pretty confident for F451, I'm just making notes again and again from the little book and hoping it sticks! F452 is more of a worry, but I've booked in for a one-to-one session with my teacher the day before so hopefully it won't be too bad!

There's so much to learn in F451, I think I can only remember half of it :frown: How do I learn the rest of it quickly?
I reckon I'm okay with F451 given I did OCR GCSE Computing, but F452 is a little more worrying. I tend to make stupid mistakes which cost me a lot of marks.

Here's a tip for revision though. Do lots of past papers and make sure you read the mark scheme afterwards to see what the question was actually looking for. OCR have a habit of asking ambiguous questions wanting a specific response, meaning sometimes you may feel your answer is suitable but in their eyes it doesn't answer the question.
There's so much to learn in F451, I think I can only remember half of it :frown: How do I learn the rest of it quickly?

I'd go through the specification book here : http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/70162-specification.pdf and write down the things you don't know first. Consult your textbook(s) if you have them, or ask on here for anybody to help you with something specific? I'm open to private messages if you need it :smile: Good luck!
If any of you have any spare time, please could you possibly mark my responses to a mock paper? I've marked them myself, but sometimes I feel I'm too biased and I'd prefer a second opinion so I know how to improve. I'd greatly appreciate it, and would be happy to mark anyone else's in return! :smile: Thanks.
Reply 15

Just go through every past paper and mark scheme and make notes from the mark scheme. It's painful since F451 is literally the most boring module ever but if you do that then you'll learn all mark scheme points. This is what I'm doing, and it's.... really boring :tongue:
Original post by 0x2a
Just go through every past paper and mark scheme and make notes from the mark scheme. It's painful since F451 is literally the most boring module ever but if you do that then you'll learn all mark scheme points. This is what I'm doing, and it's.... really boring :tongue:

Okay I am planning to do this, all I need is a B this year anyway :smile:
How do you find F452? And are you going to do past papers/mark schemes for that too? Because F452 has a fair amount of theory in it too.
Reply 17
Okay I am planning to do this, all I need is a B this year anyway :smile:
How do you find F452? And are you going to do past papers/mark schemes for that too? Because F452 has a fair amount of theory in it too.

I'm doing the same thing for the theory parts of F452. It's all about getting the key words and phrases that the examiners want.
Original post by 0x2a
I'm doing the same thing for the theory parts of F452. It's all about getting the key words and phrases that the examiners want.

Yeah, OCR are quite picky with their answers so I will try my best to get familiar with their phrasings. Are you keeping computing next year? :smile:
Reply 19
Yeah, OCR are quite picky with their answers so I will try my best to get familiar with their phrasings. Are you keeping computing next year? :smile:

I'll probably keep it. The project sounds decent but my teachers aren't too great and I don't know if I can continue learning Computing theory in this fashion. What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest