The Student Room Group

Midpoint of two complex numbers

Say we had two complex numbers:
reiθre^{i\theta} and seiϕse^{i\phi}, how would we find the midpoint of these two numbers?

I think I am correct in saying that the argument would be θ+ϕ2\dfrac{\theta + \phi}{2}, but is there a straightforward to find the modulus also?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

I actually did read this thread before posting haha, but converting to Cartesian seems so unnecessary, there must be a better method? What about if the moduli of both numbers was the same:

reiθre^{i\theta} and reiϕre^{i\phi}
Original post by lizard54142
Say we had two complex numbers:
reiθre^{i\theta} and seiϕse^{i\phi}, how would we find the midpoint of these two numbers?

I think I am correct in saying that the argument would be θ+ϕ2\dfrac{\theta + \phi}{2}, but is there a straightforward to find the modulus also?

i think this only works if the moduli are equal ?
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
i think this only works if the moduli are equal ?

True, my bad.

What about if the moduli of both numbers was the same:

A minor bit of geometry will give you this special case - have a go.
I actually did read this thread before posting haha, but converting to Cartesian seems so unnecessary, there must be a better method? What about if the moduli of both numbers was the same:

But we define the argument to be between -pi and pi so maybe this won't work?

Sorry I've got my differential equations head on ATM for my exam tomorrow so I might be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by rayquaza17
But we define the argument to be between -pi and pi so maybe this won't work?

Sorry I've got my differential equations head on ATM for my exam tomorrow so I might be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm almost certain if they both have the same modulus, the argument is just the average of both their arguments... we can then just adjust this to fit the required range.
Reply 8
Original post by ghostwalker
A minor bit of geometry will give you this special case - have a go.

The argument would just be the average of their arguments... not sure about the modulus :s-smilie:
The argument would just be the average of their arguments... not sure about the modulus :s-smilie:

you could use the sine rule probably

Draw a diagram, and do a little geometry - I know you can do it.
Draw a diagram, and do a little geometry - I know you can do it.

Okay, I got off my a*se and did a diagram, and came up with:

w=rcos(θϕ2)w=rcos(\frac{\theta - \phi}{2}), where w is the modulus of the midpoint and θ>ϕ\theta > \phi
Okay, I got off my a*se and did a diagram, and came up with:

w=rcos(θϕ2)w=rcos(\frac{\theta - \phi}{2}), where w is the modulus of the midpoint and θ>ϕ\theta > \phi

In general, yes. You will need a slight modification to deal with some angles to avoid getting a negative value for the modulus. Modulus signs will do.

And as rayquaza17 pointed out, you may have an issue with the argument as well.

But you can check the cases.
In general, yes. You will need a slight modification to deal with some angles to avoid getting a negative value for the modulus. Modulus signs will do.

And as rayquaza17 pointed out, you may have an issue with the argument as well.

But you can check the cases.

Okay, cool, and I guess that in the case rsr \neq s converting to Cartesian is the only way to go...
Original post by rayquaza17
x

Original post by the bear
x

x

Thanks for the replies, would rep you all but PRSOM :frown: Good luck tomorrow rayquaza17!
Okay, cool, and I guess that in the case rsr \neq s converting to Cartesian is the only way to go...

You'll certainly make things a lot harder for yourself otherwise.
Thanks for the replies, would rep you all but PRSOM :frown: Good luck tomorrow rayquaza17!

Thank you 😃😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest