The Student Room Group

Why do so many people have a 'superiority' complex?

Mostly on TSR, but I don't doubt there are people elsewhere who have the same.

For example:

Those who are privately educated as superior to those who aren't.
Those who do a STEM degree are superior to those who aren't.
Those who go to Oxbridge/RG unis are superior to those who aren't.

I personally think it's just pathetic and childish. An A is an A no matter what subject or what school it was achieved at. A job is a job, no matter where it is or how much is being earned- people still work hard for their money either way.

I'm just unsure what makes people think they're better than others, and why they can be rude to others who aren't following the same path as them, or aren't following a traditionally respected path etc.

Scroll to see replies

"survival of the fittest" at work :colone:
Because people like to make themselves feel good at the expense of making others feel ****. Humans init.
Real world would disagree with you OP. An A in further maths is really not the same as an A in media studies...
Reply 4
Original post by SuckMeBeautiful
Real world would disagree with you OP. An A in further maths is really not the same as an A in media studies...

I doubt you know much about the real world then. An A in Maths is going to do pretty much nothing for someone who wants to go into Media...
Original post by stemmery
I doubt you know much about the real world then. An A in Maths is going to do pretty much nothing for someone who wants to go into Media...

You missed the point. It's much harder to obtain an A in further maths than in media studies for pretty much everyone, but keep wishing.

For example:

I personally think it's just pathetic and childish. An A is an A no matter what subject or what school it was achieved at. A job is a job, no matter where it is or how much is being earned- people still work hard for their money either way.

I'm just unsure what makes people think they're better than others, and why they can be rude to others who aren't following the same path as them, or aren't following a traditionally respected path etc.

No matter what subject?! How delusional. My maths A level is worth the same as a Media A Level?
Reply 8
You missed the point. It's much harder to obtain an A in further maths than in media studies for pretty much everyone, but keep wishing.

Nope, I didn't miss any kind of point. There are people who would find Maths easy and Media hard, and there are people who find Maths hard and Media easy. It's a two-way street. :')
Original post by suckmebeautiful
you missed the point. It's much harder to obtain an a in further maths than in media studies for pretty much everyone, but keep wishing.

i literally just made the same point wtf

Is it harder? Someone who's really good at maths could easily fail media. And vice versa.

I'm pretty sure in this real world we speak of, most employers don't give a ****e about grades OR subjects.

A lot of people on TSR seem to have been suckered into believing that there's a job waiting for them in 5, 6, 7 years. The majority of you will end up working in any old workplace and wonder why you were so obsessed with education at 14/15/16 years old.
Reply 11
Because this place is full of social rejects who need to let off steam. Hate to say it but it is the truth.

For example:

Well those examples take hard work. have you been to london? You get people who think they are superior all the time but have achieved nothing.
Reply 13
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
No matter what subject?! How delusional. My maths A level is worth the same as a Media A Level?

Maths isn't useful for every career path you know. But obviously you people wouldn't understand that. Silly me :rolleyes: Media A-Level for someone wanting a career within Media is much more useful than Maths, yes.
TSR users think that grades are everything.
Reply 15
Perhaps they are "little emperors", i.e. single children?
Reply 16
Original post by holmes221
Well those examples take hard work. have you been to london? You get people who think they are superior all the time but have achieved nothing.

Have I been to London? I was born and raised and no, I haven't actually met anyone in real life who think they're superior?
I am superior to everybody else. :colone:
Reply 18
Original post by TARS
Because this place is full of social rejects who need to let off steam. Hate to say it but it is the truth.

Original post by Black Cat
TSR users think that grades are everything.

Hahahah. Sometimes I feel like we need another student forum for those of us who aren't A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* students at Oxford doing a STEM something or other degree with a £24950353billion per year job waiting for us. Yanno what I mean?
Maths isn't useful for every career path you know. But obviously you people wouldn't understand that. Silly me :rolleyes: Media A-Level for someone wanting a career within Media is much more useful than Maths, yes.

Well obviously, but how many people with a media A level are going to go into media? The general value of a maths A level is more than that of a media A level for the vast majority of areas and jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest