The Student Room Group

Getting into IB at the age of 28...any hopes?

I am 22 (will turn 23 in August)...I am currently studying Accounting at a University ranked approximately 35 in the league table; and I am considering withdrawing to apply for Oxford/LSE/Imperial in future.

I would redo my A-levels and be studying A-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Accounting, Economics and German; and would aim to obtain A and A* in these subjects.

My question is should I go for this option? And, also what are my chances of getting a job at an investment bank when I graduate from a prestigious University BUT at my 28th birthday?

Alternatively, should I finish my final year and graduate with a first and then apply to LSE for one of their Masters programs? Please also take into consideration that I obtained a THIRD in my first year and repeated my second year due to health related issues.Thanks for all the help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I seriously think you're wasting your time re-doing A-levels. Have you actually approached these universities and asked whether they will consider your application on the basis of what you have already?
Reply 2
Original post by SuicidalGraduate
I am 22 (will turn 23 in August)...I am currently studying Accounting at a University ranked approximately 35 in the league table; and I am considering withdrawing to apply for Oxford/LSE/Imperial in future.

I would redo my A-levels and be studying A-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Accounting, Economics and German; and would aim to obtain A and A* in these subjects.

My question is should I go for this option? And, also what are my chances of getting a job at an investment bank when I graduate from a prestigious University BUT at my 28th birthday?

Alternatively, should I finish my final year and graduate with a first and then apply to LSE for one of their Masters programs? Please also take into consideration that I obtained a THIRD in my first year and repeated my second year due to health related issues.Thanks for all the help.

Go for it!

That banter would be next level, absolutley unreal! :wink:

Get in that that banter bus, bant and dec have a bush-banter trial for you. Next stop, Banterbury. :reel::bandit:
Original post by floury
I seriously think you're wasting your time re-doing A-levels. Have you actually approached these universities and asked whether they will consider your application on the basis of what you have already?

As already stated I performed disgracefully; I don't think they would consider me. Moreover, I would also require these two years of re-doing my A-levels to raise some money.

Should I do it or go for the second option and risk it all?
Original post by futbol
Go for it!

That banter would be next level, absolutley unreal! :wink:

Get in that that banter bus, bant and dec have a bush-banter trial for you. Next stop, Banterbury. :reel::bandit:

So you are saying that it's a waste of time?
Reply 5
Most investment banks ask for your A-Level grades from your first sitting, which I think will be a much bigger issue than your age.
Idk what subject you're planning to do at Imperial with those A-levels but:

You should probably contact the admissions tutors themselves via email, let them know your situation. It may be possible that they'd evaluate you on the merit of your uni transcript so far rather than your A-levels.

But yeah, speak to the admission tutors.
Original post by Noble.
Most investment banks ask for your A-Level grades from your first sitting, which I think will be a much bigger issue than your age.

I already have 3As.
Reply 8
I already have 3As.

Ah ok. You should probably be aware than even among people who want to get into IB at top universities, most don't. Going to a top university is not a magic ticket into IB by any stretch of the imagination, it'll help you get your foot in the door but that's about it. The sensible thing to do in your case, in my opinion, would be to finish your degree with a first and go to a top university for a masters. If you graduate with a first, no university is going to care that you got a 3rd in first year and had to repeat a year for medical reasons.
Original post by Noble.
Ah ok. You should probably be aware than even among people who want to get into IB at top universities, most don't. Going to a top university is not a magic ticket into IB by any stretch of the imagination, it'll help you get your foot in the door but that's about it. The sensible thing to do in your case, in my opinion, would be to finish your degree with a first and go to a top university for a masters. If you graduate with a first, no university is going to care that you got a 3rd in first year and had to repeat a year for medical reasons.

OK, I think this is the best option. Thanks a lot.
Reply 10
OK, I think this is the best option. Thanks a lot.

No problem.
I highly doubt a target university would consider you for a first degree by the age of 23/24. Do your due dilligence and approach admissions prior to posting. As others have mentioned,make sure you graduate with a first and apply for a masters at a target.
At 28 you've lost a huge part of your youthful energy which investment banks are looking for.

They want young people who can work all nighters and 12 hour days and come back ready for more consistently and tirelessly.
They will look at 28, then look at someone who is 21 and prefer the 21 year old.

Can always try though.
Reply 13
Original post by iAmanze
At 28 you've lost a huge part of your youthful energy which investment banks are looking for.

They want young people who can work all nighters and 12 hour days and come back ready for more consistently and tirelessly.
They will look at 28, then look at someone who is 21 and prefer the 21 year old.

Can always try though.

I really don't think a bank will care if you are 21 or 28... the only issue is that it might be slightly awkward working for analysts who are considerably younger than you.
Original post by wajl
I really don't think a bank will care if you are 21 or 28... the only issue is that it might be slightly awkward working for analysts who are considerably younger than you.

You overestimate the role of an analyst. They are there to do the things the seniors cannot be bothered to do.

That's it. There to pick up the crumbs under the banking feast.

You try to gain experience through this and see if you can run with it to a PE/HF/(VC)/ [insert others here] firm.
Original post by Percybanker
I highly doubt a target university would consider you for a first degree by the age of 23/24. Do your due dilligence and approach admissions prior to posting. As others have mentioned,make sure you graduate with a first and apply for a masters at a target.

Why not...?

You can't discriminate due to age.
Reply 16
Original post by QueenAryela
You overestimate the role of an analyst. They are there to do the things the seniors cannot be bothered to do.

That's it. There to pick up the crumbs under the banking feast.

You try to gain experience through this and see if you can run with it to a PE/HF/(VC)/ [insert others here] firm.

I'm not commenting on the role of an analyst, I just don't see how being at the beginning of your 20s or end of your 20s makes a difference to your suitability for the role
Reply 17
I never saw an analyst anywhere near that age when I worked in BB IBD. You'd be the same age as most VPs. Just get a solid first, apply to LSE or something for a masters in accounting with finance and apply from there. Investment banks want young people who don't mind 80 hour work weeks for 2 years, at 28 theyre going to wounder if you can still do that. As Noble said going to a target is not a magic ticket into IBD, I knew a lot of people from LSE with 2.1s and firsts in econ who didn't make it.
Reply 18
Original post by iAmanze

Can always try though.

Pretty much this- they want young blood with energy.
I love how the undergraduate student who hasn't worked a real day's worth in his/her life knows what every individual IB firm out there is looking for. It makes for an excellent read. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending