The Student Room Group

Scholarships with Access to Higher Education Diploma

Hey guys :smile:

Just wondering if anyone knows whether Universities tend to look at Access to Higher Education results when determining whether or not someone gets a scholarship?

I'm starting Cardiff University in September, and have (so far) managed to get distinctions in near enough all of my modules on the Access course.

I think the Uni requires something like AAA in order to award a scholarship, but it doesn't mention anything about Access diploma's and their equivalent grades.

Has anyone received a scholarship with Access course results, and if so, what grades did you get? :smile:

Cheers,

Martin
Reply 1
Original post by Martin6

Just wondering if anyone knows whether Universities tend to look at Access to Higher Education results when determining whether or not someone gets a scholarship?

I'm starting Cardiff University in September, and have (so far) managed to get distinctions in near enough all of my modules on the Access course.

I think the Uni requires something like AAA in order to award a scholarship, but it doesn't mention anything about Access diploma's and their equivalent grades.

Has anyone received a scholarship with Access course results, and if so, what grades did you get? :smile:

Cheers,

Martin

Good evening

Congratulations on your great progress thoughout the access course and your potential opportunity to study at university.

I have located this website in which could be of some use to you: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grants-education

It would also be worth contacting the univeristy in regards to comfirmation of the scholarship requirements the university offer. Bursaries my also be available to aid with study costs.

Personally I do not know of any access specific scholarships.
I had a scholarship from Royal Holloway. The requirement last year was for 50 distinctions, but they've dropped it to 45 distinctions this year. It's only for certain subjects though (physics, maths and modern languages, I think). They also offer a £1000 bursary to all students coming from an Access course.

A guy from my course got a scholarship to Swansea. Their terms are "Excellence Scholarship: Pass with 33 Distinctions and 9 Merits; Merit Scholarship: Pass with 27 Distinctions and 15 Merits".

I don't know of any other universities that offer excellence scholarships, but I'm sure there must be others.
Lancaster offer an excellence scholarship of £2k in the first year if you have 45 distinctions and £1k for every year of the course if you have 42 distinctions and 3 merits to anyone who firms them.

I'd assume that most universities would consider AAA to be equivalent to 45 distinctions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kathykathykathy
Lancaster offer an excellence scholarship of £2k in the first year if you have 45 distinctions and £1k for every following year of the course if you have 42 distinctions and 3 merits to anyone who firms them.

I'd assume that most universities would consider AAA to be equivalent to 45 distinctions.

Some good advise regarding the excellence scholarship here not one I've come across before. Scholarships can be excellent incentives to push that extra mile in study.
Original post by Martin6

Cheers,

Martin

Good job on getting the good grades. Btw, do you think you worked harder than others on your course to achieve what you have?

I've got no idea about Cardiff's scholarship policy. The only way to find out is to ask them directly; I'm not sure if you can infer much from what other unis do. Nonetheless, in terms of unis I've considered or applied to, there are some that state the Access equivalent to the AAA A-Level requirement to qualify:

Bristol - not a scholarship as such, but a bursary of £3,750 with lots of caveats, such as completing their Access to Bristol course. The gist of it is if you're "Uni of Bristol quality" and you're suitably needy, you get it.

UEA - I think they offer something like £1800 for the first year for 45 distinctions on Access. Can't remember what you need to do for subsequent years.

Kent - £2,000 for first year if you get 45 distinctions. £2K for years 2 and 3 available, based on performance in the preceding year.

Exeter - no merit scholarships applicable to me that I can see.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you for the helpful replies everyone :smile:

I have contacted the Uni directly and have found out that they do not offer scholarships of any kind for Access students.

Thanks again for the replies! :biggrin:
Sorry to hear that. Seems a bit unfair, but there we are. Anyway, I hope you have a good experience at Cardiff :smile:.
Reply 8
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Sorry to hear that. Seems a bit unfair, but there we are. Anyway, I hope you have a good experience at Cardiff :smile:.

I guess it's my fault for not sticking with A-levels the first time around 6/7 years ago and letting my unconfident nature get the better of me! :P

Thanks! I am really looking forwards to it. Cardiff is one of my favourite cities and so having the chance to live there is amazing and will be completely different from living in the countryside!

Will just have to budget more efficiently! :biggrin: Thankyou! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply