The Student Room Group

Unveiled: It's now NO burqa or €405 fine in Netherlands

Scroll to see replies

What the hell I can't believe **** like this is still happening
How on earth do you feel threatened by one Muslim woman casually shopping for groceries and etc in her burka? It doesn't affect anyone and if someone tries to moan that it's threatening they can go suck on one cause that's just being ridiculous, what happened to cultural diversity?
Reply 41
Original post by Josb
Tell yourself that.

Islam doesn't command you to cover your face. Dont mix culture with religion two very separate things.
Original post by miser
It's a bit surprising that it's the Netherlands passing this law, but it's a good law in my opinion. At best the niqab is compatible with western culture, and at worst it's a vehicle for oppression.

Did you mean incompatible?
Original post by Spandy
Terrible law tbh, people here chanting about 'equality'. does the burqa create any sort of social problem/ inequality?
What a woman chooses to wear is her personal choice and governments should have no right to enforce their decisions.

At one end of the scale, the main social problem is that those who do not wear burqa's are often suspicious and/or sometimes frightened of those who wear them and at the other end, it creates a group of women who are then viewed as socially detached from normality.
Reply 44
Original post by Lt.Hartigan
At one end of the scale, the main social problem is that those who do not wear burqa's are often suspicious and/or sometimes frightened of those who wear them and at the other end, it creates a group of women who are then viewed as socially detached from normality.

Sorry, reached the limit of posts I can rate today. Anyway, I totally agree with your statement. Rather than viewing from a religious/public platform, the issue needs to be viewed neutrally.
Reply 45
Original post by IWantToBeThere
Did you mean incompatible?

Yes, thanks for the correction.
Reply 46
Original post by RonnieRJ
What the hell I can't believe **** like this is still happening
How on earth do you feel threatened by one Muslim woman casually shopping for groceries and etc in her burka? It doesn't affect anyone and if someone tries to moan that it's threatening they can go suck on one cause that's just being ridiculous, what happened to cultural diversity?

Ditto.
Original post by RonnieRJ

How on earth do you feel threatened by one Muslim woman casually shopping for groceries and etc in her burka? It doesn't affect anyone...

It does, under the surface.

Since it is largely seen as a symbol of oppression, Western women for one are unlikely to accept it.

However, even as a western man, even looking sideways at a woman wearing one brings a certain unease to both parties.
Original post by Lt.Hartigan
It does, under the surface.

Since it is largely seen as a symbol of oppression, Western women for one are unlikely to accept it.

However, even as a western man, even looking sideways at a woman wearing one brings a certain unease to both parties.

I'm a western woman and I see it's a symbol of dedication to their religion and of love for their God.
What if I looked at a Christian, being an atheist, and claimed to feel uneasy after seeing a cross on his necklace?
And I'm sorry but I'm not sure how on earth you feel uneasy because someone has something covering their head. Have you got a phobia of hats or? I'm sorry I just do not see your logic at all
Reply 49
Ninja's don't get this sort of abuse!

Then again, they are ninja's.
Reply 50
It's just another way of taking the rights away from the people. I'd hate to think what they'll do in the future.
Stupid decisions, isn't the netharlands meant to a country with free speach and freedom to express themselves? The security argument is absolutely rubbish, if a man was to rob a store using a cow costume, would all cost costumes get banned? No.

Countries like france and holland will soon go down the drain as they focus on opessing 0.01% of the population whilst the real opessed are the prostitutes that they allow to roam around in their streets. Politicials in those countries have no moral and common sense; banning something that is literally inexistant in their siciety whildt allowing their young daughters to become prostitutes at free will is frankly disgusting.
The law applies to everyone covering their faces in certain places not all places so the OP's title is misleading
Original post by King Boo
In before people bring up nuns.

Nuns don't wear burkas
I doubt many women would choose to wear burqa anyway I imagine it's usually their husband forcing them to.
Everyone should be subject to the same laws. If you can't cover your face with a motorcycle helmet when you go to a bank you can't with a burqa simple as. It's about equality for all citizens not just women. I
Reply 56
It's not really the beliefs or the burqa itself. It's about social security.

What could stop a serial killer from wearing a burqa and going outside?

Though I think the fine is somewhat ridiculous for a first measure, I'd say it's for the general good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Everyone should be subject to the same laws. If you can't cover your face with a motorcycle helmet when you go to a bank you can't with a burqa simple as. It's about equality for all citizens not just women. I

True

It used to be people fighting for Equality before the law

Now it seems we have a group desperately fighting for Inequality
Original post by BaconandSauce
True

It used to be people fighting for Equality before the law

Now it seems we have a group desperately fighting for Inequality

When people say their rights are "stripped" away from them when they aren't allowed to wear a certain item of clothing it is wrong. Every society has its societal norms for example you wouldn't be able to walk topless on the streets of London just like it would not really be acceptable to cover your face with essentially a face mask. Just like you wouldn't be allowed in a mosque or church or any place of religious worship with "revealing" clothes. Simples.
They should do the same here.

If the Burqa existed in a vacuum independnet of history then i would allow it to be worn, as it is there are thousands if not millions of women who are forced into wearing it amongst other things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending