The Student Room Group

Normal Distribution

Hi, can anybody help me with this normal distribution?

Plastic bags are manufactured so that the breaking strength of the bag is normally distributed with a mean of 15.6MPa and a standard deviation of 2.3MPa. bags with breaking strength of less than 11.0MPa are rejected

c) Suppose the standard deviation can be reduced without changing the mean. What should the standard deviation be so that only 1% of the bags will be rejected?
Original post by EricT
Hi, can anybody help me with this normal distribution?

Plastic bags are manufactured so that the breaking strength of the bag is normally distributed with a mean of 15.6MPa and a standard deviation of 2.3MPa. bags with breaking strength of less than 11.0MPa are rejected

c) Suppose the standard deviation can be reduced without changing the mean. What should the standard deviation be so that only 1% of the bags will be rejected?

You want 1% to be rejected, so that is 0.5% either side, therefore you will have to find Z(0.995) from your stats tables.
Then think of the formula Z=(X-Mean)/SD and how you could use this to solve the question :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jjsnyder
You want 1% to be rejected, so that is 0.5% either side, therefore you will have to find Z(0.995) from your stats tables.
Then think of the formula Z=(X-Mean)/SD and how you could use this to solve the question :smile:

Sorry I dont get it. So end up my Z(0.995)=(11-15.6)/SD??
Original post by EricT
Sorry I dont get it. So end up my Z(0.995)=(11-15.6)/SD??

Yeah, and then just rearrange to find what SD will be :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah, and then just rearrange to find what SD will be :smile:

OMG! I still dont get it! From my Z-Table i couldnt find 0.995..
Original post by EricT
OMG! I still dont get it! From my Z-Table i couldnt find 0.995..

You use this table from the formula booklet:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432630023.340389.jpg
EDIT: As pointed out below, only the lower bags are rejected so you should take the value for 0.99 instead. To do this, read down to 0.9 and then across to 0.09 to get the value of 2.3263

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
You use this table from the formula booklet:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432630023.340389.jpg
Then you go down to 0.99 and then across to 0.005. This gives you the Z value for 0.995, which is 2.5758 :smile:
Do you see now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shouldn't it be z value for 99% > than population, since only bags < 11Mpa are rejected.
And < 11Mpa is 1% of the population data.
Original post by Zenarthra
Shouldn't it be z value for 99% > than population, since only bags < 11Mpa are rejected.
And < 11Mpa is 1% of the population data.

Thank you, this is correct, I have altered my post :smile:
Shouldn't it be that
P(X<11)= 0.01?

Then you standardise so P(Z<11-15.6/SD)=0.01
And then use your tables and symmetry to find the value of SD by rearranging :smile:
Original post by enaayrah
Shouldn't it be that
P(X<11)= 0.01?

Then you standardise so P(Z<11-15.6/SD)=0.01
And then use your tables and symmetry to find the value of SD by rearranging :smile:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the same thing?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the same thing?

Probably, but hey, simplicity is elegance :wink:
Original post by enaayrah
Probably, but hey, simplicity is elegance :wink:

Of course :wink: FYI I have created a thread for S1 here as there were lots of people asking questions about it :smile:
AQA S1 Thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56225825
Of course :wink: FYI I have created a thread for S1 here as there were lots of people asking questions about it :smile:
AQA S1 Thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56225825

I'll have a look, but I'm on Edexcel :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest