The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2016

I know there is already a paramedic science thread but it was for last year's entries so wanted to create a new one! I am currently finishing year 12 and am hoping to start a paramedic science degree next September! Just wanted to know if anyone else was, where your applying and what volunteer experience you all have?? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoisinFinnx
I know there is already a paramedic science thread but it was for last year's entries so wanted to create a new one! I am currently finishing year 12 and am hoping to start a paramedic science degree next September! Just wanted to know if anyone else was, where your applying and what volunteer experience you all have?? :smile:

I'm also a year 12 student :smile:
I still don't know exactly what I'm going to be doing which is really bad b paramedics realy attracts me.
I currently am doing biology,chemistry, maths and history for a levels and I'm hoping to get AaBb or three A's perhaps :smile:
I will be applying for paramedic science dependent upon my AS grades! Otherwise I'll be applying for medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
I will be applying for paramedic science dependent upon my AS grades! Otherwise I'll be applying for medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh okay :smile:
I'm thinking about the long term in medicine so I'm not sure if I should apply or not, but I'm still going to be doing the UKCAT.
How does the application process work for paramedic science? It's very different and not something that I've come across as it's not the general entry requirements s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Ooh okay :smile:
I'm thinking about the long term in medicine so I'm not sure if I should apply or not, but I'm still going to be doing the UKCAT.
How does the application process work for paramedic science? It's very different and not something that I've come across as it's not the general entry requirements s

Posted from TSR Mobile

To my knowledge it's exactly the same as any other degree... the interview, personal statement route. I don't believe there is a test like the UKCAT
Hi all,
I'm applying for 2016 entry at Surrey, St. Georges, UEA, Sheffield Hallam and i'm undecided on my 5th.
Got ABDE in my AS levels and have been given the target of AAC for A2, where's everyone else planning on applying to?
which uni's offer paramedic science degree? just curious
Reply 7
Hello 😊 I've just finished my a levels and I'm taking a gap year to gain relative experience in the field (something that I would recommend to anyone wanting a career in any healthcare practice). Also planning to obtain a C1 drivers license (also something that would be very advantageous to anyone wanting to apply to paramedic science). I will be applying to St George's, Coventry, Staffordshire, swansea, Worcester and Portsmouth 😊

As for voluntary work, St johns has been amazing for me. I have learned and continue to learn very useful things that are very beneficial to me. St. John's can be very hit or miss depending on where you live, not every division is a well equipped as another or have any health care professionals there to guide you. For example my division has multiple ambulances, health care professionals and students and is generally just managed well. Where as another division could have none of those things and not get their members out on duties to gain experience, it's important to look into divisions before you join.

Any questions feel free to ask 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm hoping to study Paramedic Science too.....Sheffield Hallam is my favourite at the moment but also like the look of Worcester as they do their placement alongside their studies throughout the the whole year as opposed to in blocks which it seems is what every other uni does.

I'm doing an Access to Higher education course this year as I finished my A levels 4 years ago now and lots of places like you to have studied in the last 3 years. Any one else on an access course?!

I've been a community first responder with LIVES for a year now, so it'll be two by time I get to uni, hoping this will put me in good stead!

What are other people doing to get relevant experience? :smile:
Original post by sw0nze
Hello 😊 I've just finished my a levels and I'm taking a gap year to gain relative experience in the field (something that I would recommend to anyone wanting a career in any healthcare practice). Also planning to obtain a C1 drivers license (also something that would be very advantageous to anyone wanting to apply to paramedic science). I will be applying to St George's, Coventry, Staffordshire, swansea, Worcester and Portsmouth 😊

As for voluntary work, St johns has been amazing for me. I have learned and continue to learn very useful things that are very beneficial to me. St. John's can be very hit or miss depending on where you live, not every division is a well equipped as another or have any health care professionals there to guide you. For example my division has multiple ambulances, health care professionals and students and is generally just managed well. Where as another division could have none of those things and not get their members out on duties to gain experience, it's important to look into divisions before you join.

Any questions feel free to ask 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

What work are you doing with St John? Have you gone down the CFR route or the more traditional Event First Aid? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zoelincoln
What work are you doing with St John? Have you gone down the CFR route or the more traditional Event First Aid? :smile:

I have done quite the variety of work with St john, I've done the traditional event first aid which I think is brilliant as it's a great time to master talking to patients, filling out PFR forms and of course enjoy the event. I have also done observer shifts with paramedics which are very interesting as you get to see first hand how a paramedic deals with particular situations etc etc, and I have spent time treating drunk patients when the are out in the town.

Treating drunks is not particularly pleasant however I feel as though you learn a lot of very useful things that will benefit you very strongly if you do go into study PS. For example when talking with them you have to be firm so that they listen to you but not come across too strong so they feel vulnerable/unsafe (possibly may turn violent) or speak too softly which will result in them simply not listen to anything you say. I have learned a lot of very useful little tips that have been passed down to me from more senior members of staff that are very beneficial to me when dealing with drunks and with people in general.

As for CFR, I am not currently a CFR however It is something that I do plan to do in the future :smile:
I am looking into applying for it :smile:
I have my heart set out on doing Paramedic Science at St. Georges. I'm still deciding on a fifth university as others don't appeal to much as St. Georges does.

I'm currently backed up with a bit of voluntary work such as dementia care home, youth work and hospital work.
Reply 13
Hi guys and girls.

I wrote 2 pages in hope of helping people find out more about paramedics and the application process. Best of luck.

http://aaronparamedic.tumblr.com/join

http://aaronparamedic.tumblr.com/profession
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Hello all. I'm currently enrolled on an Access to Higher Education Health Professions Diploma course. I've also applied to St John for Event First Aid whilst I wait to hear back from the South Western Ambulance Service about my application to be a CFR.
Hi
I've just started my paramedic degree this year so I would be happy to answer any questions you guys have about the application process. I'm a mature student, did an Access course.
Original post by Alexmynameis
Hi
I've just started my paramedic degree this year so I would be happy to answer any questions you guys have about the application process. I'm a mature student, did an Access course.

Hi can I find out what uni you're at and what made you decide on that one and also did you have to have your license/C1 before starting the course. I'm currently a mature student (well 29 lol) doing Access to Nursing and hope to do Paramedic Science next year granted I meet all the entry requirements just would like to know what to expect really. Thanks x
Happy to look over PS for Paramedic Science / answers questions. I am an Oxford Brookes FdSc Paramedic Graduate now working frontline in green! Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Elastoplast
Happy to look over PS for Paramedic Science / answers questions. I am an Oxford Brookes FdSc Paramedic Graduate now working frontline in green! Good luck :smile:

How did the application process go? What sort of work experience did you have? Any other advice you can think of? Cheers.
Original post by eclecticfemale
Hi can I find out what uni you're at and what made you decide on that one and also did you have to have your license/C1 before starting the course. I'm currently a mature student (well 29 lol) doing Access to Nursing and hope to do Paramedic Science next year granted I meet all the entry requirements just would like to know what to expect really. Thanks x

At Oxford Brookes, had offers from Unis closer to home, but OBU is a better uni and more importantly the tuition fees are paid for by Health Education Thames Valley. Have a C1 provisional, looking to do the test next summer. I'm a similar age as you, quite a wide age range in my cohort so I wouldn't worry about that.
If you meet all the entry requirements then go for it. Happy to look at any personal statements etc.

Quick Reply