The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tallhart
How did the application process go? What sort of work experience did you have? Any other advice you can think of? Cheers.

I did health and social care and IT A levels and then I worked for a year in ED as a HCA and then did a year secondment to clinical management team as a hospital technincan doing bloods, cannulas, ecgs, catheters, small amount of bed management and attending crash calls within the hospital. Previous to this I had been in SJA since the age of six and had numerous roles within youth and countless hours on duty etc.

The application process is hard, you will get rejected; don't take it personally. But you will learn a lot about yourself and others through the process. If you don't get it first time then don't worry, get the experience. People I know who had life experience did better and get a better reception out on the road.

Make sure you have a sound PS and don't bull **** because you will get caught out.
Original post by Alexmynameis
At Oxford Brookes, had offers from Unis closer to home, but OBU is a better uni and more importantly the tuition fees are paid for by Health Education Thames Valley. Have a C1 provisional, looking to do the test next summer. I'm a similar age as you, quite a wide age range in my cohort so I wouldn't worry about that.
If you meet all the entry requirements then go for it. Happy to look at any personal statements etc.

Hi Alex thanks for the response. The thing with going to a uni further that worries me is when it comes to the placements and getting placed somewhere even further out due to family commitments. I am contemplating maybe a uni that has a March start undecided yet as I am rearing to go lol so would prefer the Sept start. The only requirement academically that I don't meet is having GCSE Maths as I currently have a D grade in it. Last minute.com but I'm attempting to find a daytime course as I enrolled for the evening GCSE Maths course which I might not be able to do now. So now I'm in a flap as I've spoken to firstly Surrey uni that has said they would automatically reject any application without GCSE Maths :frown: what to do... what to do... lol Nonetheless I was hoping to apply to Surrey, Kingston/St Georges, Greenwich, Hertfordshire, (others to include Bedfordshire, Canterbury Christ, Oxford Brookes) It's kind of frustrating that there aren't as much options as Nursing. But I'm going to try and get down to some open days in order to make an informed decision. How is your course going? If things don't go my way I will likely have to apply for 2017 which is not a major problem as will give me loads more time to prepare myself to be the best candidate I possibly can be lol :smile:
Original post by eclecticfemale
Hi Alex thanks for the response. The thing with going to a uni further that worries me is when it comes to the placements and getting placed somewhere even further out due to family commitments. I am contemplating maybe a uni that has a March start undecided yet as I am rearing to go lol so would prefer the Sept start. The only requirement academically that I don't meet is having GCSE Maths as I currently have a D grade in it. Last minute.com but I'm attempting to find a daytime course as I enrolled for the evening GCSE Maths course which I might not be able to do now. So now I'm in a flap as I've spoken to firstly Surrey uni that has said they would automatically reject any application without GCSE Maths :frown: what to do... what to do... lol Nonetheless I was hoping to apply to Surrey, Kingston/St Georges, Greenwich, Hertfordshire, (others to include Bedfordshire, Canterbury Christ, Oxford Brookes) It's kind of frustrating that there aren't as much options as Nursing. But I'm going to try and get down to some open days in order to make an informed decision. How is your course going? If things don't go my way I will likely have to apply for 2017 which is not a major problem as will give me loads more time to prepare myself to be the best candidate I possibly can be lol :smile:

I think you'd struggle to get on any course with out GCSE maths, but you'd have to speak to the Unis individually. Course hasn't really got going yet, been a couple of weeks of introductory stuff. Should get going in a week or so. I'm enjoying having a bit of free time now!
Reply 23
Original post by sw0nze
Hello 😊 I've just finished my a levels and I'm taking a gap year to gain relative experience in the field (something that I would recommend to anyone wanting a career in any healthcare practice). Also planning to obtain a C1 drivers license (also something that would be very advantageous to anyone wanting to apply to paramedic science). I will be applying to St George's, Coventry, Staffordshire, swansea, Worcester and Portsmouth 😊

As for voluntary work, St johns has been amazing for me. I have learned and continue to learn very useful things that are very beneficial to me. St. John's can be very hit or miss depending on where you live, not every division is a well equipped as another or have any health care professionals there to guide you. For example my division has multiple ambulances, health care professionals and students and is generally just managed well. Where as another division could have none of those things and not get their members out on duties to gain experience, it's important to look into divisions before you join.

Any questions feel free to ask 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all awesome pic, I saw Architects at the Roundhouse in March and they were insane!Really weird to find someone so similar (on the music front as well as I rarely find any Architects fans). I too just finished my A levels and am on a gap year. I have a place for St Georges for Sept 2016 (depending on stuff like DBS clearance, occupational health and stuff like that). I'm looking for healthcare jobs for my year off but have been unsuccessful as of yet :frown:As for St John, it has been a massive help for me, be it for clinical experience (I've treated at stuff like the London Marathon, BST in Hyde Park and football matches), but also for meeting new people. A lot of people are HCPC's so you can always ask them questions about the role (apart from when they are in the middle of treating a casualty)Also St Georges doesn't require the driving license and C1 aspect until the end of the 3 years which relieves some pressure if you're like me and haven't even started lessons yet!
Reply 24
Original post by benSHTEE
First of all awesome pic, I saw Architects at the Roundhouse in March and they were insane!Really weird to find someone so similar (on the music front as well as I rarely find any Architects fans). I too just finished my A levels and am on a gap year. I have a place for St Georges for Sept 2016 (depending on stuff like DBS clearance, occupational health and stuff like that). I'm looking for healthcare jobs for my year off but have been unsuccessful as of yet :frown:As for St John, it has been a massive help for me, be it for clinical experience (I've treated at stuff like the London Marathon, BST in Hyde Park and football matches), but also for meeting new people. A lot of people are HCPC's so you can always ask them questions about the role (apart from when they are in the middle of treating a casualty)Also St Georges doesn't require the driving license and C1 aspect until the end of the 3 years which relieves some pressure if you're like me and haven't even started lessons yet!

Ahh yes! They were my favourite band of 2014 and I still listen to them regularly! Fair play to you! They must like you if you have already got a place :tongue: your DBS and OPH will go fine! I had to pull out of applying to St Georges as It turns out that I did not meet the requirements which is pretty disappointing but I have plenty of other places to apply. It's defiantly worth doing the driving before you start even if it is a normal license because it will help you a lot, I believe that LAS expect you to have been driving for "X" amount of years to be able to drive the ambulances (I may be wrong there you will have to double check) not to mention that it will make you more employable!

What kind of jobs are you looking for? I have been thinking about applying for some HCA jobs either in A&E or with an agency.
Reply 25
Original post by sw0nze
Ahh yes! They were my favourite band of 2014 and I still listen to them regularly! Fair play to you! They must like you if you have already got a place :tongue: your DBS and OPH will go fine! I had to pull out of applying to St Georges as It turns out that I did not meet the requirements which is pretty disappointing but I have plenty of other places to apply. It's defiantly worth doing the driving before you start even if it is a normal license because it will help you a lot, I believe that LAS expect you to have been driving for "X" amount of years to be able to drive the ambulances (I may be wrong there you will have to double check) not to mention that it will make you more employable!

What kind of jobs are you looking for? I have been thinking about applying for some HCA jobs either in A&E or with an agency.

They're so good :biggrin:

Yh I hope they will go fine, i mean the hard parts out of the way now! I agree with the driving, it would also be safer if I have experience of driving before blue light training haha.

I got to the interview stage of an LAS dispatcher job but they said I can't do uni and the job :frown: Apart from that portering which I'm waiting to hear back from. Most HCA jobs require experience which I don't have which is annoying. Now I'm on to shops and stuff irelevant but just need money. I got rejected from the St John ETA course which I was properly gutted about. Where abouts are you from, I'm from London so it may be different for me!
Reply 26
I would not say that shops are totally useless! They are not very social hours (depending where you work obviously) and you talk to plenty of people! So minus the clinical side of a paramedic they are slightly similar!

I'm from Swansea! St. John has been pretty good for me in terms of experience so I may be able to get a HCA job somewhere! If not I will look into caring jobs as I have heard they will eat you up if you have relavent experience with St. John.
Reply 27
Original post by sw0nze
I would not say that shops are totally useless! They are not very social hours (depending where you work obviously) and you talk to plenty of people! So minus the clinical side of a paramedic they are slightly similar!

I'm from Swansea! St. John has been pretty good for me in terms of experience so I may be able to get a HCA job somewhere! If not I will look into caring jobs as I have heard they will eat you up if you have relavent experience with St. John.

no shops are good, used to work in one and it really helped patient/customer interaction.

Cool thats awesome. What criteria didn't you match for georges?
Reply 28
Original post by benSHTEE
no shops are good, used to work in one and it really helped patient/customer interaction.

Cool thats awesome. What criteria didn't you match for georges?

Unfortunately I did meet the entry requirements, I had the relevant amount of UCAS points but It consisted of a D and Georges will not accept a D under any circumstances. It's disappointing but I have plenty of other places to apply so it's not all doom and gloom!
What sort of questions are asked at interviews?
sounds stupid i know but when they ask you bout a difficult situation you've been in where you've had to use your initiative, what sort of things have people said? I have had jobs in shops before which i could probably say something from but what else is there?

also is it ok to say in a personal statement that I am looking to gain clinical experience in the next few months, as I havent really got anything clinical at the moment?

Thank you:colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by Alexmynameis
I think you'd struggle to get on any course with out GCSE maths, but you'd have to speak to the Unis individually. Course hasn't really got going yet, been a couple of weeks of introductory stuff. Should get going in a week or so. I'm enjoying having a bit of free time now!

Well managed to sort out the maths course woohoo i stay for 1 of the 3 hours and complete worksheets as self study at home so im rather elated at the minute :smile: lol well thats soon to change you must be excited i would be! Can i ask did you undertake a fitness test at all as part of your application?

Thanks
Reply 31
Original post by sw0nze
Unfortunately I did meet the entry requirements, I had the relevant amount of UCAS points but It consisted of a D and Georges will not accept a D under any circumstances. It's disappointing but I have plenty of other places to apply so it's not all doom and gloom!

ah shame, yh apply to plenty and that :biggrin:
The University of Bradford are launching a new Paramedic Science programme for 2016. Find out more here or feel free to get in touch for more info. The programme leader will also be available at our Open Days tomorrow and Saturday to discuss.
Original post by eclecticfemale
Well managed to sort out the maths course woohoo i stay for 1 of the 3 hours and complete worksheets as self study at home so im rather elated at the minute :smile: lol well thats soon to change you must be excited i would be! Can i ask did you undertake a fitness test at all as part of your application?

Thanks

Nope no fitness test for my application.
Original post by spencer_param
What sort of questions are asked at interviews?
sounds stupid i know but when they ask you bout a difficult situation you've been in where you've had to use your initiative, what sort of things have people said? I have had jobs in shops before which i could probably say something from but what else is there?

also is it ok to say in a personal statement that I am looking to gain clinical experience in the next few months, as I havent really got anything clinical at the moment?

Thank you:colondollar::colondollar:

Anyone??!!
Reply 35
I'm applying for 2016 entry too! I have actually already sent off my personal statement so now have the agonizing wait to get called up for interview of rejected... I have applied to Birmingham City, Northampton, UEA, Portsmouth and Brighton. I have different experience which mainly consists of the international trauma care conference, NHS Hospital placements, SJA and the Emergency services show.

Happy to talk :-)
Original post by spencer_param
Anyone??!!

I'm assuming there will be basic questions such as what you know about the role and why you want to do it, thought they may ask them in certain ways. They might ask you on ethical issues or current events, but I'm just going by a general medical/veterinary point of view so I'm guessing those are somewhat common to ask in a health professional interview?
Hi, I'm a first year student paramedic, if you have any questions...let me know!
Hi @gsxrcaleb
how hard did you find the interview process and what sort of questions were asked?
also are you enjoying he course now and what would you say is the most difficult thing about it?

thank you!
The interview process is fine so long as it's actually what you want to do, just make sure you're familiar with the major reviews and reforms.... E.g. Keogh review, Francis report etc... Practice with someone of you can. And the first course in A&P is hard. It's very fast paced aha

Quick Reply

Latest