The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hello everyone ☺️

Why is this process so scary?

I was wondering if anyone has had any interviews through yet? Got my Brooke's interview through today and Hertfordshire which is very short notice! And also have a Portsmouth interview.
Good luck to everyone applying!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Im applying for Sep 2016 entry. Ive applied to Bedfordshire, Anglia Ruskin, Birmingham City, Coventry and Staffordshire. Ive been in SJA since April 2015...its been so slow getting me sorted onto an FA course -_-. Also Im a CFR for EEAST which is amazing. You should defo do it in your area. Such good experience. Also Ive got C1 on my license (and obviously got a B license)
Reply 62
Do you need to have obtained a driving license before you apply ?
Original post by lopliop
Do you need to have obtained a driving license before you apply ?

Some say a full car (B) license is needed (although VERY few say this) most say it is helpful. None talk about having provisional or full C1 but I personally see it as an advantage to have both as it shows commitment and hence I have both
So I was just wondering what sort of work experience people have in relation to me. I will list what Ive done

1. In St.John since April 2015
2. A Community First Responder for East of England Ambulance Service since June 2015
3. Lifeguard for 2 years
4. Full car (B) and C1 license
5. Worked in customer service from September 2011 till September 2013 (then I became a lifeguard)

Thats all I can think of
Original post by spencer_param
anyone looking to apply to East Anglia or Anglia Ruskin?

Ive applied to ARU cambs
Original post by Duffin01
I'm applying for 2016 entry too! I have actually already sent off my personal statement so now have the agonizing wait to get called up for interview of rejected... I have applied to Birmingham City, Northampton, UEA, Portsmouth and Brighton. I have different experience which mainly consists of the international trauma care conference, NHS Hospital placements, SJA and the Emergency services show.

Happy to talk :-)

Yeah Ive applied to BCU too. You heard anything back from them yet ?
Original post by Nickko99
Some say a full car (B) license is needed (although VERY few say this) most say it is helpful. None talk about having provisional or full C1 but I personally see it as an advantage to have both as it shows commitment and hence I have both

They all say C1. Look at the entry requirements:smile:
Original post by gsxrcaleb
They all say C1. Look at the entry requirements:smile:

Whilst not essential it would be beneficial for applicants to possess a full clean UK manual driver's licence and where possible have provisional C1 entitlement added to their licence. Prospective students should be aware that whilst a driving license and category C1 are not requirements for acceptance onto the programme you should be aware that to improve your employability prospects following completion of the programme these should be considered as essential. - BCU

You are encouraged to possess a clean full UK driving license with a C1 category provisional entitlement. - Anglia Ruskin

None of these say you must have either B or C1
Hi, just wanted to ask what ALevel grades current paramedics achieved? And what are the predicted grades of people applying for paramedics next year.
Thanks
Hello everyone, so I thought this might be a good place to post this. I started a petition to include paramedic science in the NHS Bursary Scheme. I started it about 2 weeks ago. So put your signature down.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/110693
Whilst not essential it would be beneficial for applicants to possess a full clean UK manual driver's licence and where possible have provisional C1 entitlement added to their licence. Prospective students should be aware that whilst a driving license and category C1 are not requirements for acceptance onto the programme you should be aware that to improve your employability prospects following completion of the programme these should be considered as essential. - BCU

You are encouraged to possess a clean full UK driving license with a C1 category provisional entitlement. - Anglia Ruskin

None of these say you must have either B or C1

All of the places I applied had it as requirement. And before I even had interviews they phoned me to see if I had a car license
Anyone that's on the course, what A Level grades did you get?
And if you remember what offers did unis give? i.e. Was it just certain grades or things like hours work experience, driving license? etc.
Reply 73
Does anyone know if all the universities hold interviews? Or do some make offers without interviewing?
Reply 74
If anyone wants any advice I went through it all last year and can help if needed.
I have started at teesside this year but had interviews at Uclan, Sheffield and Liverpool.
Good luck everyone!! 😄😄.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
What is the interview process like, I'm choosing my unis to apply for paramedic practice including Teesside. Just need to know how to prepare
Reply 76
Original post by gsxrcaleb
All of the places I applied had it as requirement. And before I even had interviews they phoned me to see if I had a car license

It's hit or miss, some want it some don't, either way if you have just a full manual driving licence (B) then I would just get the provisional C1 as (I believe) most universities actually fund your C1 full licence for you.
Reply 77
So I was just wondering what sort of work experience people have in relation to me. I will list what Ive done

1. In St.John since April 2015
2. A Community First Responder for East of England Ambulance Service since June 2015
3. Lifeguard for 2 years
4. Full car (B) and C1 license
5. Worked in customer service from September 2011 till September 2013 (then I became a lifeguard)

Thats all I can think of

Hey nick! I believe that I have seen you on the paramedic page on facebook quite a few times!

I am taking a gap year to gain experience in pre-hospital care. I have been very lucky with my division in St John as they are extremely well equipped with everything that I needed for my particular interest (paramedic science). I have been able to go on observer shifts with a St John paramedic quite a few times, had the opportunity to teach both in St John and in my local university. Done the traditional event first aid which is always fun! and my division are currently setting up a CFR scheme in the local area which I will be taking part in. We have also had CPD talks (they don't apply to me as I am not a HCP but the information taught is very interesting!)

I have been very interested in life guarding recently... how did you go about becoming one?

I am getting my application sent off very soon, I was stupid enough to leave the reference last so I have to wait for my referee to write it before I can get it sent off!! I am applying to Swansea, LJM, Anglia Ruskin, Staffordshire, Worcester and Edge Hill.
Reply 78
Original post by Parish1
What is the interview process like, I'm choosing my unis to apply for paramedic practice including Teesside. Just need to know how to prepare

It's very relaxed at teesside. Just relax and remember why you want to be a paramedic. Show you know common core values and the 6 cs and that you can work with the public.
Good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sw0nze
Hey nick! I believe that I have seen you on the paramedic page on facebook quite a few times!

I am taking a gap year to gain experience in pre-hospital care. I have been very lucky with my division in St John as they are extremely well equipped with everything that I needed for my particular interest (paramedic science). I have been able to go on observer shifts with a St John paramedic quite a few times, had the opportunity to teach both in St John and in my local university. Done the traditional event first aid which is always fun! and my division are currently setting up a CFR scheme in the local area which I will be taking part in. We have also had CPD talks (they don't apply to me as I am not a HCP but the information taught is very interesting!)

I have been very interested in life guarding recently... how did you go about becoming one?

I am getting my application sent off very soon, I was stupid enough to leave the reference last so I have to wait for my referee to write it before I can get it sent off!! I am applying to Swansea, LJM, Anglia Ruskin, Staffordshire, Worcester and Edge Hill.

Yeah SJA can be good but in general in SJA Ive only ever dealt with minor things whilst as a CFR I have dealt with only serious things (cardiac arrest and a paediatric arrest as the most serious things Ive had) which has been great experience. To be a lifeguard you have to do the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) then you can gain employment as a pool lifeguard. To be honest in 2 years of being a lifeguard I have had to deal with zero medical emergencies....bar plasters etc...I wouldn't really recommend it. There are much better methods of getting experience

Quick Reply