The Student Room Group

Two taled discrete hypothesis test question (OCR S2).

June 2012.png
Given that this is a two-tailed test, why does it matter if you use > or <? Surely one will just look for 0.975 and the other 0.025?

Scroll to see replies

Because I think they are using the binomial distribution to carry out the test. I don't think n is large enough/p is small enough to carry out the test by approximating with the normal also.
Reply 2
Original post by poorform
Because I think they are using the binomial distribution to carry out the test. I don't think n is large enough/p is small enough to carry out the test by approximating with the normal also.

Not using normal I understand, it's punishing the use of <7 that I don't.
Reply 3
Oh, wow, I misspelled "tailed" in the title, is there anyway to change that?
Original post by BecauseFP
Not using normal I understand, it's punishing the use of <7 that I don't.

But the binomial distribution isn't symmetric, which is what your argument for 0.975 and 0.025 relies on.
Reply 5
Original post by rayquaza17
But the binomial distribution isn't symmetric, which is what your argument for 0.975 and 0.025 relies on.

Now I just feel stupid, but how do we know to use >?
Now I just feel stupid, but how do we know to use >?

We are using greater than or equal to, not >?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
We are using greater than or equal to, not >?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean how do we know to use > as opposed to <?
I mean how do we know to use > as opposed to <?

I'll reply back to this tomorrow night if that's okay? Haven't got the time to check through my notes to write you a proper answer right now. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'll reply back to this tomorrow night if that's okay? Haven't got the time to check through my notes to write you a proper answer right now. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, my attempt to explain this to myself is little more than this MSPaint confusion.
I am totally sane.jpg
No problem, my attempt to explain this to myself is little more than this MSPaint confusion.
I am totally sane.jpg

It should look more like this I think.
Reply 11
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
It should look more like this I think.

Fair enough, but why is it that when we have a value of 7, we use >7? Why is <7 wrong?

I understand that once we start talking about rejection regions, it's quickly obvious that you must be >8 or <0, but in terms of working with p values, why is this the case?
...why is it that when we have a value of 7, we use >7? Why is <7 wrong?

Could you try to make this question clearer?
Reply 13
Could you try to make this question clearer?

I was referring back to the original post. The question gives us a value of 7 to work with "Seven of the 12 people said that they preferred blue", and our hypotheses are H0: P=1/3 and H1 P is not equal to 1/3. So how do we know that the right thing to do is consider P(>7), rather than anything to do with P(<7)?
I was referring back to the original post. The question gives us a value of 7 to work with "Seven of the 12 people said that they preferred blue", and our hypotheses are H0: P=1/3 and H1 P is not equal to 1/3. So how do we know that the right thing to do is consider P(>7), rather than anything to do with P(<7)?

You should be asking yourself, is 7 or more that unlikely, given H0?

In precise terms, is P(X7)<0.025P(X \ge 7) < 0.025 ? And of course the answer to that question is no.

Alternatively you can find the critical region and check to see whether or not 7 is in the critical region.
Reply 15
You should be asking yourself, is 7 or more that unlikely, given H0?

In precise terms, is P(X7)<0.025P(X \ge 7) < 0.025 ? And of course the answer to that question is no.

Alternatively you can find the critical region and check to see whether or not 7 is in the critical region.

As I've said, once you consider critical regions it's not an issue, but what about
P(X7)<0.975P(X \le 7) < 0.975 ?

While I completely understand that P(X7)1P(X7)P(X \le 7) \neq 1 - P(X \ge 7) I fail to see why the < case is wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
As I've said, once you consider critical regions it's not an issue, but what about
P(X7)<0.975P(X \le 7) < 0.975 ?

While I completely understand that P(X7)1P(X7)P(X \le 7) \neq 1 - P(X \ge 7) I fail to see why the < case is wrong.

I see. Whilst showing that P(X7)>0.975P(X \le 7) > 0.975 is equivalent to showing that P(X8)<0.025P(X \ge 8) < 0.025 it doesn't show that P(X7)>0.025P(X \ge 7) > 0.025.
Reply 17
I see. Whilst showing that P(X7)>0.975P(X \le 7) > 0.975 is equivalent to showing that P(X8)<0.025P(X \ge 8) < 0.025 it doesn't show that P(X7)>0.025P(X \ge 7) > 0.025.

But why is it that what we need to show is P(X7)>0.025P(X \ge 7) > 0.025?

Again, I must stress that I can easily see this when we're talking about critical regions and that 7 plain and simply isn't in the critical region, but how do we know to use 7\ge 7?
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you find anything?
Did you find anything?

Nah. I haven't done examples where it was worded this way, and I don't really understand statistics well enough to make an educated guess as to why they do this.

Sorry. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest