The Student Room Group

Mental health?

I really like a guy who has depression/anxiety/mental health issues, however everyone keeps telling me its a bad idea. He's such a lovely person and I do want to be with him but I'm worried that a relationship would come with a lot of extra baggage. Has anyone been in a relationship like this and did it work? Should I listen to everyone else or go with what my heart thinks is best?
Reply 1
Has he sought help for his issues?? And being in a steady relationship with you could make him feel better and help his mental state. Ignore your friends it's your life to do as you wish with it if you want to be with him do it!!
Reply 2
I think he's getting help now and that's exactly how I feel, surely a loving partner would help him? Thanks for your reply :smile:
I have been in relationships like that, where I have been the one with depression and issues, and having someone to comfort you is a massive help, it has really helped me pass my depression and I feel so much better for it.
Reply 4
It does make sense to me, and I'm willing to be there for him but I just feel so hurt that people don't support the idea. If its what makes me happy then surely that is the most important thing? Thanks
Ignore them and just do it if you want. However, it's important that you know that you CANNOT single handedly fix his problems and you can't expect him too much of him. Make sure you support him all the time and just do anything a decent girlfriend would do. Remember that his illness doesn't define him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you, I'm very aware of that and considering how long we've been friends I think I would always support him as much as I could.
I have an anxiety disorder and was in a relationship when it was quite severe. The relationship was perfectly functional and we had an amazing time together! There are a few things to remember though:

1) It will be a huge learning process to figure out what triggers his issues and how you can help. You will have to do a lot of listening.
2) You will not be able to 'fix' his mental health, no matter how much you love each other. You can only encourage him to help himself and show your support. He will still have depression/anxiety when you two are together and you should not feel like a failure for that.
3) There is so much more to him than his mental health!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending