The Student Room Group

Biology or law?

I should choose A-level biology or law if I want to study a law degree in the future?
I should choose 3 or 4 subjects ? :/

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by trevorwaris
I should choose A-level biology or law if I want to study a law degree in the future?
I should choose 3 or 4 subjects ?

It depneds what else you're doing, but probably Biology.
Start with 4 - most people I know discover that they don'tlike one of their subjects (and it's not normally the one they picked as a 4th). Starting 4 gives you the chance to drop it.
Reply 2
Well to be honest you don't need an A level in law to get into Law.
You might want to keep your doors open with a science A level though. It is also quite useful taking four since if you don't like one of them at the end of the first year you can just drop it :smile:
Well it's your personal choice, depends on what you want to do
Biology is a good option though

Can't you do both?
I suggest you do 4 subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
It depneds what else you're doing, but probably Biology.
Start with 4 - most people I know discover that they don'tlike one of their subjects (and it's not normally the one they picked as a 4th). Starting 4 gives you the chance to drop it.

THANKS! :biggrin:
Is it fine to take this combination?
Law, economics and mathematics if I'm aiming for oxbridge? Although it sounds really hard

thanks😊

Hiya, you should pick biology - there is no need for law as at uni's they prefer you not to have studied it at a-level or at gcse in the past. I also want to do a law degree :smile:
Reply 7
When I looked at LSE for Law, they said they would discourage students from doing it and I'm not sure if that goes across Oxbridge as well?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2016/law/overview_and_features.aspx

It's always god to have an essay subject of some sort, such as English Lit or History, but Economics is also good :smile:

Then again, on Cambridge's entry requirements, they say they really don't mind and people have had offers for Law who have had three sciences and maths. So I guess it really doesn't matter, but it's best to stick to the more core/preferred subjects if you like :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by RonnieRJ
Well to be honest you don't need an A level in law to get into Law.
You might want to keep your doors open with a science A level though. It is also quite useful taking four since if you don't like one of them at the end of the first year you can just drop it :smile:

THANKS ! 😃
I am international student so the more the subjects I do, the more the money I need to pay.
I'm trying to find the best combination of subjects for law degree (aiming for oxbridge although it is hard) hehe. My college only offer three sciences , economics,maths,further maths,business ,accounting,law. And they don't let us mixed up the science and art subjects together 😭
Reply 9
Law, economics and mathematics if I'm aiming for oxbridge?

I'd ditch law in favour of a traditional subject you enjoy - probably History or English literature.
Original post by ThatGurl
Hiya, you should pick biology - there is no need for law as at uni's they prefer you not to have studied it at a-level or at gcse in the past. I also want to do a law degree :smile:

THANKSSS ! 😀
May I know what subjects you're taking right now?👧
THANKSSS ! 😀
May I know what subjects you're taking right now?👧

I'm going into sixth form next year haha so for gcse I'm taking Geography, History, Biology and French.

For sixth form I'm taking Sociology, History, English Lit and Government and Politics
THANKS ! 😃
I am international student so the more the subjects I do, the more the money I need to pay.
I'm trying to find the best combination of subjects for law degree (aiming for oxbridge although it is hard) hehe. My college only offer three sciences , economics,maths,further maths,business ,accounting,law. And they don't let us mixed up the science and art subjects together 😭

For Oxford they only ask for AAA
Therefore I advise you to take the subjects you're most likely to achieve the best grades in, since they have no preference over what subjects to take.
On the other side you do have to do the law admissions test and I'm not sure on what basis it might be, but it may be useful to take more of an essay subject where you get to argue points and etc. Economics might prove useful in that sense.
Original post by emilys7
When I looked at LSE for Law, they said they would discourage students from doing it and I'm not sure if that goes across Oxbridge as well?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2016/law/overview_and_features.aspx

It's always god to have an essay subject of some sort, such as English Lit or History, but Economics is also good :smile:

Then again, on Cambridge's entry requirements, they say they really don't mind and people have had offers for Law who have had three sciences and maths. So I guess it really doesn't matter, but it's best to stick to the more core/preferred subjects if you like :smile:

Why do they discourage it?? Seems a bit weird. it's like saying don't take maths for a maths degree
Reply 14
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Why do they discourage it?? Seems a bit weird. it's like saying don't take maths for a maths degree

On their website, this is what they say:

Accounting and Law:
As with Business Studies, students offering either Accounting or Law as one of their A level subjects should not be put off from applying to LSE, as depending on their overall academic profile, they may be made an offer.Although the School in general prefers traditional academic subjects, it considers not only the subjects themselves but also the subject combination, thus a combination of Economics, Maths and Business Studies or Maths, Further Maths and Physics could represent a narrow field of study. However, the combination of double maths plus one traditional subject will be considered for the following programmes: Actuarial Science (N321); Business, Maths and Statistics (G0N0); Statistics with Finance (G3N3); Management (N200); Maths and/ with Economics (GL11, G1L1). The above combination might also be considered for Philosophy (V503) and Philosophy and Economics (LV15) if all other aspects of the UCAS application were strong. If there is concern about an applicant’s subject combination, an offer might be made, but with higher (than the standard offer) grades required to compensate for the limited breadth or lack of intellectual challenge placed on the applicant.

Also, this is their list of non-preferred subjects:

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies
Music Technology
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure why, but I guess it's just because they prefer the traditional 'core' subjects?

Law A-level confers no benefit. Some admissions tutors don't like it. The safer option is probably biology from that point of view, although additional factors should inform your choice, such as the ease of scoring highly in each subject respectively.

Because universities would rather teach students who know they know nothing than ones who think they know something. I have heard that sometimes there's an element of undoing at university some of what students may have learned on their A-level law course.

It's nothing like not taking A-level maths for a maths degree, because maths degrees assume a high level of existing knowledge in maths. Law degrees assume no prior knowledge.

Universities prefer to teach you Law themselves and build it up as one, interdependent body of knowledge, ie. you spot parallels between the thinking in, say, Tort and Land. You can't do this as easily where someone has learnt piecemeal elements during an A level.

Saying that, LSE is the only uni to openly discourage it and quite a few at Oxbridge have A Level law.
THANKS ! 😃

Accounting, law and BS are all considered to be sub-par A-Levels for law. I'd also say that taking 4 subjects at AS is CRUCIAL, and if you're serious about Oxbridge, you should definitely fork out the extra cash. If I were you, I'd do economics, maths, and two sciences.

If you're interested, I'm going to study English literature, history, maths and economics for AS, with hopes of attending Oxford for law.

Best of luck!

Law, economics and mathematics if I'm aiming for oxbridge? Although it sounds really hard

thanks😊

THANKS ! 😃

Take triple science and maths. My friend has an offer for Cambridge law, he took triple science and maths, you really do not need law and it would not be beneficial at all, as others have said, keep your doors open with biology or something incase you change your mind, I thought I wanted to do physics when I was in Y11, turned out I was wrong haha.
Reply 19
Do the subjects which you are best at! I chose Geography, Economics and Biology and have been teased for taking 'easy' subjects but I managed to get all 5 of my Law offers (all top 10 unis) which is what counts. Furthermore, out of Law and Biology I think you should take Biology as it would be easier to achieve an A* compared to an essay-heavy subject such as law; this opens up the London universities and Cambridge for you.

Quick Reply

Latest