The Student Room Group

AQA AS Mathematics MSB1 Statistics 1 – Wednesday 3rd June [Exam Discussion Thread]

*** This is a discussion thread for the June 2015 Statistics 1 Exam ***

Date: Wednesday 3rd June
Time: 09:00
Duration: 1h 30m

S1 Past Papers: goo.gl/uG6QZw

Summary Notes: goo.gl/1w5YX9

Revision Sheets: goo.gl/esddQw

Checklist: goo.gl/Dkq1SG

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If anyone needs any help with S1 questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, how do you workout the interquartile range?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jakecre8
Hey, how do you workout the interquartile range?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IQR: Q3-Q1.

Where Q3= 3n/4 and Q1= n/4, n= frequency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks a lot jimjamjimmy

Posted from TSR Mobile
When using the binomial distribution tables, how do you know what value of 'x' to use? (depending on whether the question is less than or equal to or something?)
Original post by dolphins321
When using the binomial distribution tables, how do you know what value of 'x' to use? (depending on whether the question is less than or equal to or something?)

If you have P(X<200) or P(X>200) you use 200 as X for the equation in either senarios
Reply 7
When finding the median does it matter if you use,

n+1/2 or n/2
Original post by Dieselblue
If you have P(X<200) or P(X>200) you use 200 as X for the equation in either senarios

Is the number in the table for P(X<200)?

For P(X>200) would you do 1 - P(X<200)?

If it is equal to, don't you look at the row for 199 or something? This is where I get confused.
Reply 9
How would I work out P(A|B)? I read that it was P(A and B) / P(A) or is it P(A or B)/P(A)
Original post by TheKian
How would I work out P(A|B)? I read that it was P(A and B) / P(A) or is it P(A or B)/P(A)

I think the equation is in the formula book, it's P(A and B)/ P(B)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by dolphins321
Is the number in the table for P(X<200)?

For P(X>200) would you do 1 - P(X<200)?

If it is equal to, don't you look at the row for 199 or something? This is where I get confused.

If it's equal to you can work it out P(X=<200) - P(X=<199)
Reply 12
Original post by cilla_e
When finding the median does it matter if you use,

n+1/2 or n/2

You use (n+1)/2 when finding the median :smile:
Reply 13
Do we need to be able to find the exact value of the median from a grouped frequency table? Like I get how to find the class interval it's in but could we be asked to then work out its exact value? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Fudge2
Do we need to be able to find the exact value of the median from a grouped frequency table? Like I get how to find the class interval it's in but could we be asked to then work out its exact value? :smile:

Yes you must be able to find the exact value for the estimation of the mean!
You can calculate it by Sum(fx)/Sum(f)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by jjsnyder
Yes you must be able to find the exact value for the estimation of the mean!
You can calculate it by Sum(fx)/Sum(f)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks but I was asking about the median :tongue:
Can anyone help me on this question, have no idea.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432827114.004669.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Can anyone help me on this question, have no idea.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432827114.004669.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would guess 5 because all data in a normal distribution is contained within 2 SDs either side of the mean, so if all data is within 10g either side that suggests 10g is 2 SDs so 5g is 1 SD. That's the only thing I can think of because there's no data given...xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Fudge2
I would guess 5 because all data in a normal distribution is contained within 2 SDs either side of the mean, so if all data is within 10g either side that suggests 10g is 2 SDs so 5g is 1 SD. That's the only thing I can think of because there's no data given...xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would probably get a better estimate if you did 10/3 as then your using 3 S.Ds on either side of the mean. But your way still gets all of the marks!
Reply 19
Original post by a123a
You would probably get a better estimate if you did 10/3 as then your using 3 S.Ds on either side of the mean. But your way still gets all of the marks!

Ahh yeah cool that would be better. It's kinda a weird question imo cos the question could say that all of the data is within 100g either side which is still right and that would lead you to guess an sd of 50g..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest