The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Law applicants 2015-Accommodation

I firmed my choice for Bangor and recently had an email that soon we have to apply for halls. I want to make sure I have someone doing the same course as me at my halls and was wondering where other Law students are thinking of going???
Reply 1
Hey I'm doing law too!
Thinking about gwynant on the ffriddoed site.
Where you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Original post by megana11
Hey I'm doing law too!
Thinking about gwynant on the ffriddoed site.
Where you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of going to the ffriddoed site or St Marys (although that seems to be aimed at 2nd and 3rd year students.)
Reply 3
Yeah I was originally thinking of the St Mary's site but I'm definitely going with ffriddoed site now.
There's so much to choose from though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EdgarAllanPoe
I was thinking of going to the ffriddoed site or St Marys (although that seems to be aimed at 2nd and 3rd year students.)

As a current student at Bangor University, I wouldn't recommend St Mary's site for first years. From what's being shown it seems like it's going to look incredible, but there are some majors drawbacks. 1) It is far from finished, you can still see plenty of scaffolding there all the way from upper Bangor; and with Bangor's track record with getting Pontio finished, I wouldn't be sure that it'll be ready for September.2) It is really far away from everything else. The city of Bangor is set in a location where you have upper Bangor, lower Bangor and another section where St Mary's will be, which is also in an upper section (on the other side (width wise, not length wise) of the city). Think of a parabola, where Ffridd site and St Mary's site are on opposite ends. This isn't a problem straight off, but it can be when you think of the ramifications: a) It would take much longer to get to your lectures. People on Ffridd site take between 5-10 minutes to get to their lectures, maybe 15 if you're walking slow in a big group. From St Mary's site, it would easily take you twice that time if walking. b) St Mary's site is at the end of a massive fricken hill. Have you heard about Bi*** hill yet in Bangor? In case you haven't, it's a hill (actual name is Glanrafon hill, but everyone knows it as Bi*** hill) with an annoying incline that's a bi*** to walk up, a hill which you will inevitably walk up a lot of the time. The hill to St Mary's site? I've heard it described as Bi*** hill on steroids, no joke; and I've been told that there aren't currently any buses to and from St Mary's. This might be remedied by September, who knows.2nd and 3rd years have fewer lectures and more independent studies, so they'd have much less to worry about in terms of location. I just want you guys to be informed before you apply there, just in case.Also, in terms of Ffridd halls, I wouldn't worry too much. I didn't get any of the halls I applied before, but I wouldn't replace my current flatmates for anything in the world. Sure, your building does make a difference, such as a slightly longer walk to the launderette, having a view of the football field or being right next to the bbq stands, but you won't really mind in the end. Although if you get one of the older buildings, like Borth (I'm in Borth atm), you'll certainly prefer having actual keys as opposed to key cards and you'll bond with your flatmates over complaints of the c**p ovens and the smaller kitchens than the new buildings.
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
As a current student at Bangor University, I wouldn't recommend St Mary's site for first years. From what's being shown it seems like it's going to look incredible, but there are some majors drawbacks. 1) It is far from finished, you can still see plenty of scaffolding there all the way from upper Bangor; and with Bangor's track record with getting Pontio finished, I wouldn't be sure that it'll be ready for September.2) It is really far away from everything else. The city of Bangor is set in a location where you have upper Bangor, lower Bangor and another section where St Mary's will be, which is also in an upper section (on the other side (width wise, not length wise) of the city). Think of a parabola, where Ffridd site and St Mary's site are on opposite ends. This isn't a problem straight off, but it can be when you think of the ramifications: a) It would take much longer to get to your lectures. People on Ffridd site take between 5-10 minutes to get to their lectures, maybe 15 if you're walking slow in a big group. From St Mary's site, it would easily take you twice that time if walking. b) St Mary's site is at the end of a massive fricken hill. Have you heard about Bi*** hill yet in Bangor? In case you haven't, it's a hill (actual name is Glanrafon hill, but everyone knows it as Bi*** hill) with an annoying incline that's a bi*** to walk up, a hill which you will inevitably walk up a lot of the time. The hill to St Mary's site? I've heard it described as Bi*** hill on steroids, no joke; and I've been told that there aren't currently any buses to and from St Mary's. This might be remedied by September, who knows.2nd and 3rd years have fewer lectures and more independent studies, so they'd have much less to worry about in terms of location. I just want you guys to be informed before you apply there, just in case.Also, in terms of Ffridd halls, I wouldn't worry too much. I didn't get any of the halls I applied before, but I wouldn't replace my current flatmates for anything in the world. Sure, your building does make a difference, such as a slightly longer walk to the launderette, having a view of the football field or being right next to the bbq stands, but you won't really mind in the end. Although if you get one of the older buildings, like Borth (I'm in Borth atm), you'll certainly prefer having actual keys as opposed to key cards and you'll bond with your flatmates over complaints of the c**p ovens and the smaller kitchens than the new buildings.

Thanks for the information. I decided to go for the Ffraw building at Ffriddoedd Village after all, but I still have time to change my mind. Is it a good one to go to?(As in how good are the facilities )? Also I am on the 4th floor so I am bit worried as on the pictures of the building it shows that above that floor there seems to be some sort of room with top to bottom glass walls. What is that? - I just want to know if it's going to be noisy! :O :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by EdgarAllanPoe
I firmed my choice for Bangor and recently had an email that soon we have to apply for halls. I want to make sure I have someone doing the same course as me at my halls and was wondering where other Law students are thinking of going???

Hey, I'm also doing Law! Think I might choose Gwynant. Haven't made a decision yet. Although would definitely prefer to stay in a hall with at least one other Law student.
Reply 7
Original post by OlgaLAL
Hey, I'm also doing Law! Think I might choose Gwynant. Haven't made a decision yet. Although would definitely prefer to stay in a hall with at least one other Law student.

Hey I'm in gwynant!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hey I'm in gwynant!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! Where are you from?
Reply 9
Original post by OlgaLAL
Cool! Where are you from?

Haven't found anyone else on my floor though!
I'm from the Wirral (near Liverpool) you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Haven't found anyone else on my floor though!
I'm from the Wirral (near Liverpool) you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an international student. All the way from Seychelles.
Original post by OlgaLAL
I'm an international student. All the way from Seychelles.

Oh that's cool!
Are you nervous about moving?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh that's cool!
Are you nervous about moving?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of. Never been to Wales before, personally I don't know what to expect. But I've heard it's a really beautiful place, and the people are friendly.

Btw what floor are you on?
Original post by OlgaLAL
Sort of. Never been to Wales before, personally I don't know what to expect. But I've heard it's a really beautiful place, and the people are friendly.

Btw what floor are you on?

Oh yeah
I'm on floor 4:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest