The Student Room Group

CIE French A Level Linear

Hi!

My school recently switched to CIE from Edexcel, and we're following the linear programme (we write all of our As and A2 exams at the end of two years). It's the first time that my teachers are doing it and my french teachers in particular are confused by the teacher guide from Cambridge.

For our lit component, the instructions say to choose at least one text from Section 1 and Section 2, which my teachers understood to mean that we need to study two books overall. But yesterday, one of them was looking at an old past paper and it said that we need to answer three questions for the lit paper, each on a different text. So does that mean we're supposed to be studying three, not two, books?

If anyone's following the linear course for CIE, it would be great if you could answer! We're all really confused about what to do, and none of the emails sent to the exam board are being answered.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Thanks! I'm new here so I don't know how to exactly use this :colondollar:
You need to study 3 books for sure, I took my cie a2 french exam last month. You'll answer 2 questions from section 1 (choose between essay and passage question)and 1 question from section 2(only essays).
Original post by ekania
Hi!

My school recently switched to CIE from Edexcel, and we're following the linear programme (we write all of our As and A2 exams at the end of two years). It's the first time that my teachers are doing it and my french teachers in particular are confused by the teacher guide from Cambridge.

For our lit component, the instructions say to choose at least one text from Section 1 and Section 2, which my teachers understood to mean that we need to study two books overall. But yesterday, one of them was looking at an old past paper and it said that we need to answer three questions for the lit paper, each on a different text. So does that mean we're supposed to be studying three, not two, books?

If anyone's following the linear course for CIE, it would be great if you could answer! We're all really confused about what to do, and none of the emails sent to the exam board are being answered.

I did CIE A levels this year (2 exams left wooh)
I took Spanish though
I can assure you CIE languages are much more challenging but more rewarding than Edexcel.
You're supposed to answer 3 books or 2 books and a poem, I believe. We personally read 6 to have a vast array to choose from
Goodluck :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by MunchkinCat
You need to study 3 books for sure, I took my cie a2 french exam last month. You'll answer 2 questions from section 1 (choose between essay and passage question)and 1 question from section 2(only essays).

Thank you! That clears up a lot :biggrin:
Reply 6
Okay, what about the oral? How many topics do we have to talk about other than the one we do our 3min speaking on? Do they all have to be from the same unit (e.g. family life, religion, media...) or from different ones?
Reply 7
The oral consists of a 3 minute presentation on a topic of your choice, providing it somehow relates to French or Francophone culture.
You then have a topical discussion around the chosen subject (e.g For religion your teacher may ask you whether you believe in secularist school systems).
Lastly, you have a general conversation on a random topic - probably the most challenging as it requires you to be versatile and to think on your feet.

You can do it! CIE french is quite a challenge but definitely worth the effort, not to mention very respected.
Reply 8
Thanks so much to all! You guys are amazing :smile:
Reply 9
Do you mind if ask which textbooks you used for CIE AS Level French? Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Reply 10
We use élan 1, second edition, from Oxford University Press.

Quick Reply

Latest