The Student Room Group

Give me 5 reasons FOR and 5 reasons AGAINST going to University

Reply 1
For:

- Employability. Grad jobs help skip parts of the corporate ladder. Grads also make more on average over their life time.
- Social experience. Helps you develops as a person both academically and socially. Meeting new people builds soft skills like communication and adaptability and forms networks.
- Independence. A stepping stone to moving out.
- Extra curriculars - During university, you'll have the option of doing many things from just academic work, such as societies, volunteering, travelling etc. This boosts employability.
- The opportunity to study your chosen field in depth and be rewarded with a degree for it.

Against:

- Fees. Enough said I guess.
- A degree doesn't entitle you to a job. Although it helps of course, the value of some degrees aren't worth as much anymore.
- Opportunity cost of earning working full time.
- Irrelevance to your career. Depending on what degree you choose to do, this may not be relevant to your chosen career path.
- Apprenticeships are more appealing for some, as you can earn qualifications whilst working.

University isn't for everyone, but as a finalist who has just finished his degree, I found it a sound investment and an amazing experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending