The Student Room Group

Guardian University League Tables 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
Expectations of what, though? Do you think it is only students attending Russell Group universities that want, for example, a library with enough books, their work marked on-time and prompt feedback?
Well it is not as simple as that. At an RG university, some of these things may be taken for granted while at other institutions a remarkable improvement in teaching/feedback/facilities etc.
Original post by Broscientist
Well it is not as simple as that. At an RG university, some of these things may be taken for granted while at other institutions a remarkable improvement in teaching/feedback/facilities etc.
which of the NSS statements for teaching, assessment/feedback and overall do you believe is particularly susceptible to this distortion?

I personally don't think there is a single statement (aside from maybe the overall satisfaction) that a university should justify scoring below 80% agreement on. Yet universities trading on their reputation score abysmally against statements that should be their bread and butter.
Well it is not as simple as that. At an RG university, some of these things may be taken for granted...

and also mightn't be delivered on. I studied at three Russell Group universities and have taught at two more. What too many VIth formers fail to recognise is that there's sometimes or often a tension between good research and good teaching. First, the person who is passionate about her research may find the teaching only an irritating distraction from that. Second, the fancypants universities have to privilege research capacity over teaching ability in making appointments. And indeed most appointments are made without a teaching demonstration. But at a less storied institution, there might be more leeway to keep on the guy who is never really going to finish that book he's been writing for a decade but who is conscientious with the undergrads and a good sort about departmental duties.

Choose a university with a stellar research rating and the effect that specifically this is going to have on your undergraduate education is cancelled lectures because Professor Bigshot is giving the keynote in Wisconsin. Never mind, though, we'll have directed reading with a Latvian doctorial student.
Original post by cambio wechsel
and also mightn't be delivered on. I studied at three Russell Group universities and have taught at two more. What too many VIth formers fail to recognise is that there's sometimes or often a tension between good research and good teaching. First, the person who is passionate about her research may find the teaching only an irritating distraction from that. Second, the fancypants universities have to privilege research capacity over teaching ability in making appointments. And indeed most appointments are made without a teaching demonstration. But at a less storied institution, there might be more leeway to keep on the guy who is never really going to finish that book he's been writing for a decade but who is conscientious with the undergrads and a good sort about departmental duties.

Choose a university with a stellar research rating and the effect that specifically this is going to have on your undergraduate education is cancelled lectures because Professor Bigshot is giving the keynote in Wisconsin. Never mind, though, we'll have directed reading with a Latvian doctorial student.
That is a very good point, consistent with what I have been reading about the known UK research powerhouses.

..so i shouldn't have firmed Manchester..? :'(
The Guardian is never good for an accurate judgement, but good for a rough guidance considering you know your ****. LSE being ranked 13th? Unlikely, but Surrey to 4th? That shows good consistentcy considering theyre also high up in the complete university guide.
Surprisingly, Loughborough seems to be one that i can say deserves its rank as its also the exact same in the CUG and has been ranked best student uni. Even more surprising is that theyre just above ucl by one in both rankings.

Special mention to Sussex for leaping back after 2 years of bad rankings in all tables. Its shows theyve actually changed.

All we can do now is wait for more lists to be published, since us brits are known throughout the world as having a weird obbsession with league tables, to the point that im sure im not alone in saying ive been up at 3am looking at a Nigerian forum's 10th page of a thread about uni league tables
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Satisfied with course
Satisfied with teaching
Satisfied with feedback

those are subjective metrics which should not have been incorporated in the criteria. Those skewed the results somehow. Nonetheless, the data were informative.

I'm surprised KCL climbed 4 notches up to make it to #36. Huge jump for KCL!!! With this development, I'm sure our friend on here who's actually from Nigeria, Africa, must be Rolling On the Floor Laughing (ROFL) now... lol...

Yes these are subjective metrics and will not result in an objective table, but that doesn't mean that such a table shouldn't exist, because it is informative in its own right. Honestly, sometimes TSR is too much of a pointless university ****fest.
The subject University tables are a joke. On many of the subjects, a lot of 'good' unis haven't even been included, totally skewing the results!

:unimpressed:
Original post by Mario!360NoScop3
The Guardian is never good for an accurate judgement, but good for a rough guidance considering you know your ****. LSE being ranked 13th? Unlikely, but Surrey to 4th? That shows good consistentcy considering theyre also high up in the complete university guide.

But what are you basing your qualifiers on? The fact that LSE 'sound better'? The fact that LSE is older and has prettier buildings?
Original post by Hatsune Miku
Coventry and kent above Notts and Manchester??! you're joking right

Why not? Because Manchester and Notts are older and have prettier buildings?
x

I hope future applicants read what you're saying and take it on board. As a Sixth former who's going to university this autumn (with any luck) I'm amazed at the obsession held by my school and my fellow students for league tables, rankings and prestige.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Why not? Because Manchester and Notts are older and have prettier buildings?

no because Manchester and Nottingham are more established universities, more reputable, higher student satisfaction and most definitely favoured by employers (higher job prospects)
I'm a Surrey student and one of the ones who contributed to this survey.

Honestly Surrey's strength lies in its placement years and its connections. If you take advantage of the placement year you are pretty much guaranteed a job (and usually one above graduate starting wage if you go back to the same company) and are more employable over students from other unis who leave with little or no work experience. You also get to meet actual people working in the field and work closely with them. Maybe even go on a conference or two with some people at the cutting edge of their field.

Surrey also devotes a huge amount of its funding to its library. It is really modern and has tonnes of space, so that may be benefiting students. But if it is busy you can literally just grab a classroom anywhere across campus for your friends or just yourself. Each room has a timetable on it so you know if its free or not.

I also think the 5GIC on Surrey's campus is a huge plus. When you walk past it and know what its all about it makes you feel really proud to be at Surrey.

Professors tend to be pretty good, but I really doubt they are better than any other university. Yes, they do teach well. Yes, most of my professors came from Cambridge. Yes, you can email them any question at any time of day and they'll promptly send you back a hundred papers on the subject, or book you a one-on-one session in their office. If you're lucky they may even show you around their giant laser facility or nanophotonics lab. Students treat professors as friends and they treat students as fellow academics. It's not unusual to casually hang out with a professor in a lunch break.

And then there is a fast complaint system. Rooms have little signs up allowing you to contact central facilities if you have a complaint. They fix things pretty fast. Same for if you complain about a professor, course, or quality of teaching or life. They'll sort it out.

But all in all I just think I have been lucky with my course at Surrey. I know a friend who does computer science here and he describes it as meh. How you experience university is largely down to your educational experience there, which is down to what course you do. Surrey is a very research-based uni. Of course it is the students who are in these research subjects that will be the most amazed.

Overall I would say Surrey deserves to be high on the rankings, but I'm really doubting it deserves to be 4th.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
But what are you basing your qualifiers on? The fact that LSE 'sound better'? The fact that LSE is older and has prettier buildings?

No, butby the fact it has a high reputation and that most students end up becoming employeed in the best jobs. I mean theres a reason so many atudents are internationals. Put it this way, it may not deserve to be 5th but it doesnt deserve to be beating Coventry by only 2 places. I mean if manchester, notts and Edinburgh type of unis were making the top 25 then fair enough
League tables are not worth the paper they are printed on. The obsession some students have with them is bizarre.

Lets be honest everybody has their own preconceived ideas of what order the universities are ranked in. If they see a newspaper table that roughly agrees with that they will say the league table is good and place high emphasis on it, if they see a newspaper table that doesn't agree with their preconceived ideas then they think the table is rubbish.

Hence the tables have no value whatsoever, because they don't change peoples preconceived ideas.

If the Premier League table had the same level of credibility people would be saying stuff like LOL the table has Swansea, Stoke and Palace ahead of Everton LMAO shows how non credible that table is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mario!360NoScop3
No, butby the fact it has a high reputation and that most students end up becoming employeed in the best jobs. I mean theres a reason so many atudents are internationals. Put it this way, it may not deserve to be 5th but it doesnt deserve to be beating Coventry by only 2 places. I mean if manchester, notts and Edinburgh type of unis were making the top 25 then fair enough

All wholly subjective qualifiers.
Reply 36
There's more to life than league tables. Nobody cares once you stop being an undergraduate.
I hate these league tables and how much parents actually read into them. My dad thinks because I'm not planning on going to one in the top 10 then there is no point really, when in actual fact the course at the uni I plan on going to is brilliant and gives students great opportunities.
Reply 38

You spout utter nonsense...you haven't even started university yet
Original post by MagicNMedicine
League tables are not worth the paper they are printed on. The obsession some students have with them is bizarre.

Lets be honest everybody has their own preconceived ideas of what order the universities are ranked in. If they see a newspaper table that roughly agrees with that they will say the league table is good and place high emphasis on it, if they see a newspaper table that doesn't agree with their preconceived ideas then they think the table is rubbish.

Hence the tables have no value whatsoever, because they don't change peoples preconceived ideas.

If the Premier League table had the same level of credibility people would be saying stuff like LOL the table has Swansea, Stoke and Palace ahead of Everton LMAO shows how non credible that table is.

People do read them, not people on TSR because most of us have preconceived notions but for example international students who often have no idea how well perceived UK unis are beyond Oxbridge use them. Parents sometimes use them, people who aren't familiar with UK unis use them. That can really affect things a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending