The Student Room Group

Trigonometrical Identities

How can sin^2θ+cos^2θ 1 be rewritten in a form that involves only one Trigonometrical function?:s-smilie:
Original post by Mr Pussyfoot
How can sin^2θ+cos^2θ 1 be rewritten in a form that involves only one Trigonometrical function?:s-smilie:

Could you use the relation between sine and cosine? You know the graphs look very similar, so how could you use this?
[I'm trying not to just give you the answer :smile:]
sin2thetha = 2sinthetacostheta

sin^2 2theta =4sin^2theta cos^2theta

1-cos^2theta = sin^2theta

sub 4cos^2(1-cos^2) +cos^2theta=1
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by studentwiz
sin2thetha = 2sinthetacostheta

sin^2 2theta =4sin^2theta cos^2theta

1-cos^2theta = sin^2theta

sub 4cos^2(1-cos^2) +cos^2theta=1

Bear in mind that you may not have learnt these double angle formulae though.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr T Pities You
Could you use the relation between sine and cosine? You know the graphs look very similar, so how could you use this?
[I'm trying not to just give you the answer :smile:]

To be honest I'm a novice with identities, I know what each graph looks like (cosine is translated) but how would this help me??

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest I'm a novice with identities, I know what each graph looks like (cosine is translated) but how would this help me??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, double check your notes as you should have somewhere that sin( pi/2 - theta) = cos theta
You can now just substitute that in to the identity above and it'll only have sines in it.
The method give by studentwiz above will be beyond your current level, so just ignore it (this year :wink:)
Reply 6
Okay, double check your notes as you should have somewhere that sin( pi/2 - theta) = cos theta
You can now just substitute that in to the identity above and it'll only have sines in it.
The method give by studentwiz above will be beyond your current level, so just ignore it (this year :wink:)

I do GCSE Further Maths, I don't think it that you I've learned that at this stage. All I know are the identities and their rearranged forms.

The answer I'm supposed to get is 2sin^2theta - sin theta -1=0

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do GCSE Further Maths, I don't think it that you I've learned that at this stage. All I know are the identities and their rearranged forms.

The answer I'm supposed to get is 2sin^2theta - sin theta -1=0

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure that is right. The original thing is an identity and is true for any value of theta. The equation you have given is only true for certain values of theta like 90 or 210 degrees.
Can you double check or let me know where the question came from.
I don't teach GCSE further maths, but I'd guess the trig identities you know are limited to first year a level.
Reply 8
I'm not sure that is right. The original thing is an identity and is true for any value of theta. The equation you have given is only true for certain values of theta like 90 or 210 degrees.
Can you double check or let me know where the question came from.
I don't teach GCSE further maths, but I'd guess the trig identities you know are limited to first year a level.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432646240.295928.jpg

It's from a further maths workbook

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432646240.295928.jpg

It's from a further maths workbook

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now it makes sense! You've read the question incorrectly. It wants you to use the identity to rewrite each of the equations. I've started the first one for you - I hope it helpsimage.jpg
Now it makes sense! You've read the question incorrectly. It wants you to use the identity to rewrite each of the equations. I've started the first one for you - I hope it helpsimage.jpg[/

How silly of me😂 Thank you for the guidance, I think I'll be okay with the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't be afraid of hitting the thumbs up button :biggrin:
Reply 12
Don't be afraid of hitting the thumbs up button :biggrin:

Original post by Phichi

Haha!
Hey, you got your four gems somehow, right?
Reply 14
Haha!
Hey, you got your four gems somehow, right?

By not asking!
Original post by Phichi
By not asking!

I lack your patience.
And I'm needy.

Quick Reply

Latest