The Student Room Group

Aren't resits = A level in one year?

The title may not be clear itself but if someone gets an C/D in a subject and decides to resit both the units next year along with the A2 units, aren't they basically just doing the whole A Level in one year? Because they would have to learn the AS content again aswell as the A2 content?

Need this as a point for an argument :tongue:
Reply 1
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
The title may not be clear itself but if someone gets an C/D in a subject and decides to resit both the units next year along with the A2 units, aren't they basically just doing the whole A Level in one year? Because they would have to learn the AS content again aswell as the A2 content?

I'm resitting 3 AS units for Chemistry along with doing A2. I class it as "doing A2 but resitting all of the AS modules" so I'm not classed as a retake, moreover someone with loads of resit modules. Essentially I am doing the whole A-Level in one year in terms of exams but content wise I'm already familiar with the AS stuff so it's much less work.
Original post by TajwarC
I'm resitting 3 AS units for Chemistry along with doing A2. I class it as "doing A2 but resitting all of the AS modules" so I'm not classed as a retake, moreover someone with loads of resit modules. Essentially I am doing the whole A-Level in one year in terms of exams but content wise I'm already familiar with the AS stuff so it's much less work.

Yeah that's the only difference I guess, someone who retakes the units already has the content covered from year before.

How are you finding doing all the exams in one year? How did you revise for AS and A2?
Reply 3
Yeah that's the only difference I guess, someone who retakes the units already has the content covered from year before.

How are you finding doing all the exams in one year? How did you revise for AS and A2?

With chemistry a lot of it is synoptic meaning you need a decent understanding of AS to do well at A2 so in that sense just doing A2 alone made AS seem much easier. My main issue last year was exam technique and not necessarily not understanding the content which meant that I only really needed to work on writing out decent answers in papers rather than re-learning the content which made things manageable
Original post by TajwarC
With chemistry a lot of it is synoptic meaning you need a decent understanding of AS to do well at A2 so in that sense just doing A2 alone made AS seem much easier. My main issue last year was exam technique and not necessarily not understanding the content which meant that I only really needed to work on writing out decent answers in papers rather than re-learning the content which made things manageable

Yeah lots of people in my school are resitting Chem Unit 2 (F322) and they say its easier after doing A2 :tongue:

Do you do any humanities subject like Economics and are you resitting any units for them? (Thats if you do a humanities subject :tongue:)

this is kinda off topic from what this thread's about but do you know if the current yr 12's can do resits next year? considering that a levels are changing in september
Original post by bubblegumcat
this is kinda off topic from what this thread's about but do you know if the current yr 12's can do resits next year? considering that a levels are changing in september

Yes we can, one final set of papers is produced for retakes for those currently I. Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bitofageek
Yes we can, one final set of papers is produced for retakes for those currently I. Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cool, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can new students of that subjects be entered for these 'retake' papers? I don't do Economics atm but may pick it up next year. Can i be entered for the retake paper?
Reply 9
Yeah lots of people in my school are resitting Chem Unit 2 (F322) and they say its easier after doing A2 :tongue:

Do you do any humanities subject like Economics and are you resitting any units for them? (Thats if you do a humanities subject :tongue:)

Nah I do A2 maths, biology and chemistry along with AS physics (resit no surprise lol) and AS further maths

I hear for economics the A2 makes the AS seem a bit easier, my friends who are doing AS and A2 in the same year said the AS exams went much better this time round for them
Original post by TajwarC
Nah I do A2 maths, biology and chemistry along with AS physics (resit no surprise lol) and AS further maths

I hear for economics the A2 makes the AS seem a bit easier, my friends who are doing AS and A2 in the same year said the AS exams went much better this time round for them

Physics is pretty hard man, I'm trying my best but not really confident in what grade im going to get.

For your friends doing economics, did they find it easier because of learning A2 content or simply because they had a second go at the exam therefore they could learn from their mistakes?
Can new students of that subjects be entered for these 'retake' papers? I don't do Economics atm but may pick it up next year. Can i be entered for the retake paper?

No, you would need to be entered for the New Stand Alone AS Economics
No, you would need to be entered for the New Stand Alone AS Economics

Where have you read that? I want to do AS + A2 next year on the old spec so can I not be entered for both the papers?
[QUOTE=SheLikeTheMango;56354543]Where have you read that? I want to do AS + A2 next year on the old spec so can I not be entered for both the papers?

You can. Some colleges run what they call intensive courses in which they teach AS for the first half of the year and then A2 for the second.

Next year is the last year it will exist though Because of reforms
Original post by Brownclown
You can. Some colleges run what they call intensive courses in which they teach AS for the first half of the year and then A2 for the second.

Next year is the last year it will exist though Because of reforms

Yeah that's what I thought, maybe bitofageek just misunderstood my actual plan.
I want to learn the AS in the summer and then carry on A2 with school and sit the old spec exams in 2016. :smile:

I have emailed AQA (dont know if they will reply lol) just to confirm. :tongue:
Yeah that's what I thought, maybe bitofageek just misunderstood my actual plan.
I want to learn the AS in the summer and then carry on A2 with school and sit the old spec exams in 2016. :smile:

I have emailed AQA (dont know if they will reply lol) just to confirm. :tongue:

Oh yeah I guess you could do that, I don't see why not, I thought you just wanted to do the AS. Sorry for any confusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess so. I need to learn the content again because I forgot it all

Quick Reply

Latest