The Student Room Group

a controversial topic: what's wrong in choosing to become a housewife

apart from the feminist argument which is flawed. Anything wrong in choosing to be a housewife. or a husband choosing/wanting a housewife.

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing wrong with choosing to be a 'housewife', but there's quite a lot wrong if society (or other individuals) expect that you should be a housewife.

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is nothing wrong at all with that. today's housewife has a wide range of gadgets to help with her duties, leaving her plenty of energy for her husband and children.
Nothing wrong with it
I'm not sure what you consider to be the "feminist argument", but in my view of feminism, if the household income means that one partner is able to stay at home to look after children and/or tend to house matters, and both partners are happy with the arrangement, then being a 'housewife' is fine. I think it's wrong to expect it of someone, but for someone to choose it is fine if income allows for it.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Also, it is not wrong if a man wants a housewife, as long as he is not forcing his wife/girlfriend to do that.
Reply 6
There is absolutely nothing wrong about being a housewife as long as you choose to be one. If you do it just because you're pressured to do so though, it's a whole different thing. Same goes for men and women.
Reply 7
I guess it's the idea that it's effectively prostitution - you make your living not through going out to work, but through cooking, cleaning, and laying on your back for a man. There's nothing wrong with wanting to cook and clean for your partner (and obviously I should hope you want to do the sex with them) but it just has a slight 'whoring oneself out' feeling to it. Plus it's pretty dumb, especially in an age when a lot of people will end up getting divorced - why would you want your lifestyle to be completely dependent on your partner? Why choose to have no financial independence?
Reply 8
Uh no the feminist argument is that nothing is wrong with it at all, because women have choice. I'm so sick of people having no idea what feminism actually is.
Reply 9
To answer your question there is nothing wrong with it. We all choose our own paths and so long as it's your choice and you're happy and you don't hurt anyone no one can tell you it's wrong.

Personally I'd rather eat my own eyes than be a housewife but that's me.
I think being a housewife lacks ambition and maybe self respect, since you basically depend on a man.

The whole cooking/kids/cleaning thing... At least in my case, my mom did all that by herself while having a great career and I've seen housewives who still get a maid to help, so personally I look down on housewives. It's personal though.

And what if the man dies/wants to divorce you? What are you going to do then?

A husband wanting a housewife... Idk it's a bit selfish imho.
Original post by SiminaM
I think being a housewife lacks ambition and maybe self respect, since you basically depend on a man.

The whole cooking/kids/cleaning thing... At least in my case, my mom did all that by herself while having a great career and I've seen housewives who still get a maid to help, so personally I look down on housewives. It's personal though.

Being a housewife is a pretty noble thing I think, not at all lacking in ambition or respect. My mother works full time and raises three kids, including myself, but I don't doubt that the situation would be better were my father still in the picture. As for the whole issue of divorce/death of the breadwinner, typically life insurance or divorce settlements mean that money isn't an immediate threat. And why would you get married/have kids if you don't love one another.

People are too flippant with marriage nowadays.
Original post by SiminaM

Lmao, me thinks uve idea on wat a house wife is, it dunt mean she lacks ambition or self resperct, it just means she wants to dedicate her life raisung and concerntrating on her kids and husband with out stressin bout her job n wat not
Like my aunti is a dr and qualified consultant but lwft all that cos she wanted to stay home n loof after her kids (housewife) if anythin God forbid were to happen to ma uncle she can jus lok for a job suited to her qualifications jus like most housewives wud do.
Original post by Implication
There's nothing wrong with choosing to be a 'housewife', but there's quite a lot wrong if society (or other individuals) expect that you should be a housewife.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the best damn summary out there.
Original post by blaspame
Lmao, me thinks uve idea on wat a house wife is, it dunt mean she lacks ambition or self resperct, it just means she wants to dedicate her life raisung and concerntrating on her kids and husband with out stressin bout her job n wat not
Like my aunti is a dr and qualified consultant but lwft all that cos she wanted to stay home n loof after her kids (housewife) if anythin God forbid were to happen to ma uncle she can jus lok for a job suited to her qualifications jus like most housewives wud do.

I can't take anyone who writes like that seriously :redface:
I see nothing wrong with it. But are we talking about the traditional Housewife, who looks after the children and the estate, cleans the house and cooks the Lunch and Dinner for when the husband comes home in his Armani Suit with a £75k annual income and kids from this Private Schools

Or are we talking the one that sits on her ass all day, watching Loose Women, eating crisps getting fat, husband gets home from his £25k a year job and she yells at him on why he has trashed the house she hasn't cleaned since the Council gave them it and the kid is in the back yard eating bugs, having missed school again?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Original post by Shellshocker93
I see nothing wrong with it. But are we talking about the traditional Housewife, who looks after the children and the estate, cleans the house and cooks the Lunch and Dinner for when the husband comes home in his Armani Suit with a £75k annual income and kids from this Private Schools

Or are we talking the one that sits on her ass all day, watching Loose Women, eating crisps getting fat, husband gets home from his £25k a year job and she yells at him on why he has trashed the house she hasn't cleaned since the Council gave them it and the kid is in the back yard eating bugs, having missed school again?

Do you read the Daily Mail?
this isn't controversial at all lol
Original post by Jacky Hearts
Do you read the Daily Mail?

I'm exclusively a Daily Sport reader

Quick Reply