The Student Room Group

Gap Year after Uni

I never took a year out after school, I am now thinking about doing a gap year after Uni as I really want to travel !!

What is your opinion on this? Is it a good idea or should I be focused on going to work..

Has anyone got experience or heard about someone doing a post uni gap year??

I'm in the same boat as you I really want to take one but I think I'm going to chicken out haha

If you're doing a course like English/languages/history/art (most of the humanities really) I think it would be an amazing idea to see the world before you commit yourself forever but if you want to do maths/science/engineering it would be a little different because you might get out of the swing of things. However people have done it for the sciences I'm just not so sure about maths/engineering.

But think, if your course is only 3 years you could do a gap year either side of your degree but a gap year after uni is just being unemployed really isn't it?
Reply 2
Yeh, that is what I am thinking. I don't know if I want to go straight to work.
I'm doing a 4 year course, and cant take a year out in between the course. surely, if save up money and go travelling straight away then not really unemployed and can work after a year of travelling.
What year are you in at the moment? you not think it would be a great idea?
Original post by Ross63
I never took a year out after school, I am now thinking about doing a gap year after Uni as I really want to travel !!

What is your opinion on this? Is it a good idea or should I be focused on going to work..

Has anyone got experience or heard about someone doing a post uni gap year??

Hi Ross63,

I think the best scenario would be to take the gap year in during the university times. If you are saying that your course doesn't provide a gap year, well in this case I would think want is more important for you: travel now and have difficulties of finding the job later or starting to work for a year and then go for traveling. If I were you, I would try to apply for the job straightaway, as you can earn something and spend it on you future holiday! :u:
Do you want to go to various places or just one place? You should do a ski season :smile: they're generally quite fun and you get to meet a lot of new people while doing something a little different as well. Best place to go if you're a starter is Morzine chalet Nantegue imo.

Quick Reply

Latest