The Student Room Group

This school has ZERO native born children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thesabbath
...and why do you believe it is a largely non-white area?

I guess it would be because the city centre is a relatively poor place. Immigrants who are less wealthy than natives will move there as opposed to more rural areas as the cost of living is generally cheaper. And since most of these immigrants are non-white (in Birmingham's case that is) the city centres will become a majority non-white area.

Original post by HigherMinion
You didn't quite get the point I was trying to make, which is about "white flight" coupled with the natives being out-birthed and displaced. Sure, the few Spaniards that remain can continue eating greasy rice and waste public money with their fireworks in celebration of saints from yonder... But eventually the English and Romanian population (the two largest immigrant groups in the non-hypothetical village/town I am thinking of) will surpass those Spanish and no body will turn up to the celebrations. They will lose all significance.

And then, the village will become yet another spiritual desert, simply viewed as a large open-plan housing estate for workers. Great.

And if the Spaniards choose to leave their village then that is their own problem. If they leave their home and do not bring their heritage with them then that is their own fault. Hell, even displaced they can still gather and carry on doing what they want to do.

Besides nobody is forcing them to leave. If their heritage is that important to them then they can stay and live among the English and Romanian.
Original post by SHallowvale
I guess it would be because the city centre is a relatively poor place. Immigrants who are less wealthy than natives will move there as opposed to more rural areas as the cost of living is generally cheaper. And since most of these immigrants are non-white (in Birmingham's case that is) the city centres will become a majority non-white area.

And if the Spaniards choose to leave their village then that is their own problem. If they leave their home and do not bring their heritage with them then that is their own fault. Hell, even displaced they can still gather and carry on doing what they want to do.

Besides nobody is forcing them to leave. If their heritage is that important to them then they can stay and live among the English and Romanian.

I think we are getting to the crux of your thinking on this issue: you don't believe the Spanish have a right to live in any particular place, and you would like dissident Spaniards to simply abandon their homeland.

The problem is, it's not exactly legal to prevent anyone from coming in, but you are free to leave. Do you see the problem with this? The only way to make these quaint Spanish villages stay Spanish is making it rough for everyone (in other words, making it undesirable to settle). An own goal, I'd say.
I don't understand how a school can be 100% diverse if no nationals attend it. Also racism is down to people, not the races that go to a school.
I think we are getting to the crux of your thinking on this issue: you don't believe the Spanish have a right to live in any particular place, and you would like dissident Spaniards to simply abandon their homeland.

Not really no.

I think that the Spaniards have the right to choose where they want to live just like any other person, foreign-born or not. I think that those who wish to leave or stay should be free to do so.

The problem is, it's not exactly legal to prevent anyone from coming in, but you are free to leave. Do you see the problem with this? The only way to make these quaint Spanish villages stay Spanish is making it rough for everyone (in other words, making it undesirable to settle). An own goal, I'd say.

No I do not see the problem with that. If these Spaniards want to preserve their quaint village and lifestyle then that is their problem. If they do not care enough about it in order to preserve it then that too is their own problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending