The Student Room Group

addiitional A levels

Say someone had chosen to do their a levels in Spanish, history, biology and chemsitry, but later decided they wanted to do say something like engineering at uni. Those subject combinations would be incompatible due to the lack of maths. If the person took a maths a level during a gap year so they have the correct combination, do unis still consider the a levels taken over three years? Even though the actual maths exams were taken in one sitting?
Original post by Nucleotide
Say someone had chosen to do their a levels in Spanish, history, biology and chemsitry, but later decided they wanted to do say something like engineering at uni. Those subject combinations would be incompatible due to the lack of maths. If the person took a maths a level during a gap year so they have the correct combination, do unis still consider the a levels taken over three years? Even though the actual maths exams were taken in one sitting?

Unis will credit A-levels from 2009-2015. Since that is when the current specs weren't changed. The Maths and Science ones will be changing in 2016. So you will be fine. UCAS or the government haven't revealed what the new AS/A-level system will be like for unis yet.

But you have chemistry - they might ask for physics or maths. So as long as you do either of those subjects at A-level, you should be fine; regardless of how long or quickly you gained that qualification.
Reply 2
[QUOTE=The Empire Odyssey;56235601]Unis will credit A-levels from 2009-2015. Since that is when the current specs weren't changed. The Maths and Science ones will be changing in 2016. So you will be fine. UCAS or the government haven't revealed what the new AS/A-level system will be like for unis yet.

But you have chemistry - they might ask for physics or maths. So as long as you do either of those subjects at A-level, you should be fine; regardless of how long or quickly you gained that qualification.

I'm not asking for myself lol I'm asking for a friend.

He's in yr13 now but wants to do a maths a level. Current AS maths students will need to finish their A2 next year, so the current spec will still be around. He wants to do AS and A2 in one year.

He's just worried because top unis aren't keen on those who take A levels over three years
Original post by Nucleotide
I'm not asking for myself lol I'm asking for a friend.

He's in yr13 now but wants to do a maths a level. Current AS maths students will need to finish their A2 next year, so the current spec will still be around. He wants to do AS and A2 in one year.

He's just worried because top unis aren't keen on those who take A levels over three years

Well he either needs to set his standards a little bit lower or try and get into uni with perhaps ones that do foundation year? That's also a possibility? Does he know about that?

Quick Reply

Latest