The Student Room Group

HMRC O/HO New recruits 2015 (after TSP applications)

Scroll to see replies

When does flexi time start for all new teainees? Ive been told to expect 10-6 yntil my training is finished so just wondered if thats the same for all new trainees and how long is the training for?
I am slightly gutted as i was expecting to be on flexi prety much from tthe begining
Original post by Lance2015
When does flexi time start for all new teainees? Ive been told to expect 10-6 yntil my training is finished so just wondered if thats the same for all new trainees and how long is the training for?
I am slightly gutted as i was expecting to be on flexi prety much from tthe begining

I started at the beginning of November and I've been on flexi time since day one.

I suspect they mean you shouldn't make plans during those times until you have your tutorial timetable?
Reply 1302
I am meant to start in Jan 2015 and had my formal offer in early October. However so far I have not heard from my new manager. I am not sure how early you get can contacted before the joining date. Any ideas any one?
Original post by hq1
I am meant to start in Jan 2015 and had my formal offer in early October. However so far I have not heard from my new manager. I am not sure how early you get can contacted before the joining date. Any ideas any one?

Mine was the week before.
Hi guys,

Quick question, I am due to interview for HMRC next week at Custom House, Lower Thames Street. Stupid question, but where is the reception located? I don't have time free during work to try and find it myself.

Regards

Alex
Original post by Mzr
I've been in CI for almost a month now. If you want to strictly do tax then you should either not take this role, or join and transfer departments later, because you won't do much tax here. It is focusing on prosecuting the criminals, e.g. investigating for evidence that can be used in court. The cases get passed on to us from Local Compliance, who do the inspection work.

Training is about learning the criminal legal system and investigation techniques. Have not worked late at all so far (since there is a few months of training to do before you are given actual work) and they are very flexible with times worked.

Pretty deceiving and non-transparent way of recruiting these O roles as they were all advertised to us as "Tax Professional" roles, yet barely any tax modules, if any, are undertaken in this department. Unfortunately for me, I was disappointed to find out the hard way, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

It's been a few weeks in CI now and it's been quite dull since my security clearance hasn't come through (so can't shadow anyone) and the training starts in January.

However, they have made it abundantly clear that the role is investigating-oriented (obviously) with a strong focus on apprehending perpetrators, interviewing them, gathering evidence and building-up a case for the CPS to take forward.

In light of that, I raised my concerns to the HR if I could work in a more tax-related role and they have found an opportunity in the Customs and International Trade team, who deal with the compliance of businesses importing goods from non-EU countries and paying the correct duty/VAT on those goods.

So, my job would be to check if goods have been correctly classified and calculate if the right amount of duty has been paid on them. If not, then calculate the loss and refer the case to CI to take it forward. So this role also has a strong focus on evasion/investigation.

I am quite confused about the whole situation and not been able to come to a decision yet.
HEY! I am in the exact same boat as you,not very happy with the CI role as it is not very tax related. Have HR made you the offer to move to a different department? The role you just described sound more tax related i guess then working in CI. Its been so dull since iv been here and as there is nothing for me to do other than elearning for the next 2 months till i go away for training i have just been sittin around in the office everyday, i bet my colleagues are all thinking im a lazy cow! Im hoping after training once i get intot the role it will get a little bettwr
Original post by College rocks
It's been a few weeks in CI now and it's been quite dull since my security clearance hasn't come through (so can't shadow anyone) and the training starts in January.

However, they have made it abundantly clear that the role is investigating-oriented (obviously) with a strong focus on apprehending perpetrators, interviewing them, gathering evidence and building-up a case for the CPS to take forward.

In light of that, I raised my concerns to the HR if I could work in a more tax-related role and they have found an opportunity in the Customs and International Trade team, who deal with the compliance of businesses importing goods from non-EU countries and paying the correct duty/VAT on those goods.

So, my job would be to check if goods have been correctly classified and calculate if the right amount of duty has been paid on them. If not, then calculate the loss and refer the case to CI to take it forward. So this role also has a strong focus on evasion/investigation.

I am quite confused about the whole situation and not been able to come to a decision yet.
Original post by misstj14
HEY! I am in the exact same boat as you,not very happy with the CI role as it is not very tax related. Have HR made you the offer to move to a different department? The role you just described sound more tax related i guess then working in CI. Its been so dull since iv been here and as there is nothing for me to do other than elearning for the next 2 months till i go away for training i have just been sittin around in the office everyday, i bet my colleagues are all thinking im a lazy cow! Im hoping after training once i get intot the role it will get a little bettwr

Yeah - theres space in the dept. so I could move there if I wanted to. Im going over to the new (CITEX, its knows as) team to shadow someone and see for it myself..

but yeah, I completed the tedious e-learning in my first week so now I do absolutely nothing all day and go home early. Can't really complain but in terms of the work, its a police officer role which is not something I want. Senior managers have mentioned that a lot of EO's across regions have been allocated roles that theyre not happy with, so it's happening everywhere.

Training, I've heard is intensive and residential and lasts for a few months. but yeah, I still cant make my mind up on what to do.
Hi everyone,

I've been offered a job in Enforcement and Compliance as an HEG Casework in Euston, London. Does anyone work as an HEG caseworker and can tell me what its like. Whats the day-to-day duties? How many exams are there? And is it flexi hours?
Reply 1309
Original post by hmrc_applicant
I've been working in CI for a few weeks now. You are right it is not like any of the other department. Due the nature of the work we are prohibited from discussing externally what we do here. However, i will say that this work is not for everyone. I for one was very surprised at what was expected of us in terms of working hours and responsibilities. Despite this, so far everyone i have met appears to really love their work and they all believe that CI is the best department to work in within HMRC.

P.S you may find a few pleasant surprises on your first day (Compensation, equipment and benefits)

:wink:

Hi,

Totally appreciate that you cannot discuss much but in terms of working hours expectations can you elaborate?

It was clear in the job spec that out of hours was expected and compensated but what is it like in reality? Can you still bank extra hours for flexi time for example ?
Hey. Has anyone heard anything about the positions in Manchester?
hey guys, i've recently applied for CSR/2066/15 - Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer and Officer Caseworker i was give a pre offer subject to security checks. i had an emails this week saying i failed the checks as i didnt meet the minimum qualification criteria. It asked for 5 GCSE's and i have 13 so i know i met the criteria but could not find my GCSE results when i went to the interview. does anyone have a contact number i can call to chase this up as my school have said they can write out a letter of results and sign it for me as proof of results.

Any help would be appreciated
Original post by bluebird91
hey guys, i've recently applied for CSR/2066/15 - Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer and Officer Caseworker i was give a pre offer subject to security checks. i had an emails this week saying i failed the checks as i didnt meet the minimum qualification criteria. It asked for 5 GCSE's and i have 13 so i know i met the criteria but could not find my GCSE results when i went to the interview. does anyone have a contact number i can call to chase this up as my school have said they can write out a letter of results and sign it for me as proof of results.

Any help would be appreciated

Send message to this thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3625877&page=43&p=61994783#post61994783
Hi is anyone else based in Castle house, Leeds? And how are you finding it?
Reply 1314
Hello! I know many of you have already started your roles. How are you guys finding working at HMRC? I've just received a formal offer for a complaints handler post in London. Does anyone have any further information about this role? Thank you :smile:
Hi i beleive that u have to request duplicate exam results from the exam board. I also have an interviee for this role? Can i ask what was asked at the interview?
Thanks
Hi. First time on TSR and i need to ask a question. Does anyone know if you can apply for other roles whilst in the probation period? I failed my MCQ on appeals today and feel pretty disappointed with myself. And does anyone know what "level entry" means? I'm disappointed and clearly quite thick today.
Original post by Jobgirl240572
Hi. First time on TSR and i need to ask a question. Does anyone know if you can apply for other roles whilst in the probation period? I failed my MCQ on appeals today and feel pretty disappointed with myself. And does anyone know what "level entry" means? I'm disappointed and clearly quite thick today.

No you have to pass probation first. Level entry means you are already the same grade as the job you're applying for.
Original post by Mega0448
No you have to pass probation first. Level entry means you are already the same grade as the job you're applying for.

Thanks for the reply. What about applying for external civil service roles that aren't HO as I am HO?
Original post by Jobgirl240572
Thanks for the reply. What about applying for external civil service roles that aren't HO as I am HO?

Yeah I think you can apply for anything externally advertised but not internal jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending