The Student Room Group
It's fairly unlikely that anyone here will have the personal experience to be able to compare them directly. Also the world league tables (that I can find) don't differentiate by subject. However empirically, Cambridge is highly respected for Computer Science and two things that spring to mind immediately are the Cambridge-MIT Institution, and the William Gates Building.

Personally I'd suggest that instead of going by league tables, the most useful thing to do is to read up on the course and/or visit Cambridge. The reputation of the Cambridge Computer Science course is not something you should be worried about!
Reply 2
I applied to both MIT and Cambridge for computer sci, but will almost definitely be taking the offer from Cambridge (doubt I'd get into MIT's limited international pool anyway). As far as I'm concerned, Cambridge practically invented the computer, so there I go :biggrin:

In any case Cambridge has an exchange program with MIT, so if you get into either, you'll have the chance to experience both.
Reply 3
Hey.
I know of Cambridge-MIT exchange program, but I am not sure that the Computer Science department at Cambridge participates...
Reply 4
abless
Hey.
I know of Cambridge-MIT exchange program, but I am not sure that the Computer Science department at Cambridge participates...

I dont know of any computer scientists on this years exchange, that's for sure. It's mainly for engineers, but there are some natsci's and medics here as well.

If you wanted to experience both, you could end up being a bit sneaky and doing the first year of compsci, then transferring to physics (which is very do-able given that compsci's have to do at least one science: the most common choice is physics). Then manage to get on the exchange for your third year, and then take a load of computer science classes at MIT. You'd end up screwed for your 4th year, but you'd still have done compsci at both places :p:
Unfortunately the Cambridge-MIT exchange isn't open to CompScis. As a Compsci rep I've asked the committee to change this, but it's unlikely to happen for a good few years. Definitely not in time for this year's first years, and probably not next year's either.

That seems a bit risky to me, the chances of getting on the exchange aren't that high...
Reply 6
opps for reviving an old thread but :p: wouldn't it be difficult to compare seeing that the norm comp science course in US is called
Electrical Engineering & Comp Sci :|

Latest

Trending

Trending