The Student Room Group

Need help with selecting which Uni

Hey I am not sure If I am posting this in the right place, but I would appreciate if you could help me decide which uni to go to...

Personal Clues that might help ,
I will study engineering.
I need a prestigious school for a good career in Turkey.
I am an IB student in Turkey.
I will be charged overseas.
I want some place where I can really learn and have fun.
Night life is somewhat important.
I would prefer to know my professors personally (ie smaller classes), if possible, after 2nd year.

My UCAS 2007 App;
Cambridge Kings College Electrical Engineering REJECTED W/O Interview :mad:
Imperial College London; Electrical & Electronic Engineering with Management (Conditional38)
University of Southampton; Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology(Conditional34)
The University of Warwick ;Engineering (Conditional36)
Durham University General Engineering (Conditional36)
University of Bristol Electronic Engineering (Conditional34)
Reply 1
They're all excellent universities, a degree from any of them would stand you in good stead. If night life is important, don't choose Warwick! My choice would be

1) Imperial College

2) Bristol

3) Durham

4) Warwick

5) Southampton
Reply 2
I agiree ^^ but i would swap southamton and bristol, just personal preference, nothing against your choice tetedupet!!!
Reply 3
Agree with fusiankane....

Swap Bristol and southampton!
Reply 4
i deffinatly wouldnt swap southhampton for bristol.
on league tables southhampton probably is better for engineering. but deffinatly not miles apart, lol. like 1/2 places difference.
and i deffinatly wouldnt put bristol on the bottom of the list, its probably more prestigious then all the others apart from imperial and its better then durham and warrick for engineering.
Reply 5
SuBB
i deffinatly wouldnt swap southhampton for bristol.
on league tables southhampton probably is better for engineering. but deffinatly not miles apart, lol. like 1/2 places difference.
and i deffinatly wouldnt put bristol on the bottom of the list, its probably more prestigious then all the others apart from imperial and its better then durham and warrick for engineering.

yeh, i would agree with that.

Depends quite alot on the discipline, bristol is better known for its new engineering design course and civil. The others are good but not so far up the tables.

Both durham and warwick are not know for their engineering, allthough they are very good unis. But then bristol is aswell. If you exclude unis that don't offer engineering then they are all in the top 5 except southampton, which isn't far behind.

Durham and warwick are not know for their night life, for that i would suggest bristol, soton and imperial.

Imperial would be regarded as the best but you have to decide whether you want to live in london and pay london prices. Also imperial has a somewhat geekier rep..
Reply 6
Hello there,

I got offers from Exeter University and Glasgow University for Mechanical Engineering. They are both my top choices and I'm glad to get offers from them. However i can't make up my mind between Exeter and Glasgow. Which university has a better reputation for engineering? I be thankful for all the replies.
Reply 7
laineyl
Hello there,

I got offers from Exeter University and Glasgow University for Mechanical Engineering. They are both my top choices and I'm glad to get offers from them. However i can't make up my mind between Exeter and Glasgow. Which university has a better reputation for engineering? I be thankful for all the replies.

I don't know about Glasgow to be honest but Exeter's engineering dept is suplemented heavily by the reputation of the uni with the employees. The dept also seems to be going up in the world with loads of money spent and are rated pretty well.
Reply 8
thanks for ur help
Reply 9
1) Durham

2) Southampton

3) Bristol

4) Imperial College

5) Warwick

But only cause I don't want to study in London.
How's the nightlife in Southampton? Is it a nicer place than those on OP's list to study and live for a couple of years?

Latest