The Student Room Group

Hot Hatch vs Luxury Coupe?

SO if you had £20k to play with, what would you go for?

Hot Hatchback- Brand New(ish) Ford Fiesta ST

OR

Luxury Coupe- 2014 Audi A5

Scroll to see replies

audi
Reply 2
The A5 isn't a luxury car. For the money the interior is pretty low rent in fact. Lots of plastic and rattles in the dashboard. They aren't particularly comfortable either.
Reply 3
Original post by FXX
The A5 isn't a luxury car. For the money the interior is pretty low rent in fact. Lots of plastic and rattles in the dashboard. They aren't particularly comfortable either.

I've been in them many times, in the front and back and the drive was always very comfortable, whats your views on the Fiesta?
Ferrari Laferrari
I wouldn't spend more than 10k on a hatchback, so would have to go with a saloon or coupe for 20k. I wouldn't go with an A5 though and would personally pick a couple of year old jaguar XF, for proper luxury, or an M3 if I wanted something a little sportier
Audi.

But in all fairness, if I had £20k to play with, I'd go with a Shogun, Grand Cherokee or Q3.
Most luxury coupes are better off as sedans, too heavy and are more of a cruiser rather than something for enthusiastic driving.
I'd go for the hot hatch. Fiesta ST's are always highly rated by the likes of top gear and what car etc. I suppose it depends what you want from the car, hatches are more fun and luxury coupe's are more comfortable. If you got the Audi though, what would you get next? There's not much to 'step up' to in terms of getting your next car after unless you're a millionaire imo.

Personally, I'd get a VW Scirocco
Grand Cherokee?
I thought that was quite cool until I saw a certain 'elk test'.

The grand Cherokee was appalling. Especially when you consider it was done at about 40mph!!

(sorryYouTube link won't work- but search 'grand Cherokee Elk test full story). I'd struggle to trust anything they make after seeing the appalling example.
Although the Audi would tempting, I reckon the hot hatch would be better. They are great fun to drive and are much rarer than your common Audi.
Reply 11
I personally wouldn't buy an audi a5 until the interior has been updated so it's like the a7 and the a3
235i?
Original post by sailorben
Grand Cherokee?
I thought that was quite cool until I saw a certain 'elk test'.

The grand Cherokee was appalling. Especially when you consider it was done at about 40mph!!

(sorryYouTube link won't work- but search 'grand Cherokee Elk test full story). I'd struggle to trust anything they make after seeing the appalling example.

Whats an elk test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Not a hot hatch or an out and out luxury coupe, but more of a middle ground in that it's a hot coupe :wink:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505203629914/sort/pricedesc/price-to/20000/channel/cars/colour/white/make/bmw/usedcars/radius/1500/model/m3/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/postcode/cv62jh/page/1?logcode=p

Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 15.46.08.jpg

Being listed at £19,989 leaves some room for mods too! :wink: :P
Reply 14
For 20 grand it'd have to be something like a '75 Jaguar XJC for me or perhaps a Jensen interceptor.
Original post by JC.
For 20 grand it'd have to be something like a '75 Jaguar XJC for me or perhaps a Jensen interceptor.

This is a true beauty, the Jaguar XK140

Reply 16
Original post by The Jargen
This is a true beauty, the Jaguar XK140

XK150 is a better drive IMHO and has a 1 piece windscreen. Until you've driven something with a split windscreen you don't appreciate just how irritating they are!
Rear spats are a bitch when you want to change a wheel too. For some reason they are really fiddly to fit on Jaguars and it's very easy to chip paint.

Still £100k short for an xk120 on a 20 grand budget, though! :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JC.
XK150 is a better drive IMHO and has a 1 piece windscreen. Until you've driven something with a split windscreen you don't appreciate just how irritating they are!
Rear spats are a bitch when you want to change a wheel too. For some reason they are really fiddly to fit on Jaguars and it's very easy to chip paint.

Still £100k short for an xk120 on a 20 grand budget, though! :wink:

I've never driven a car with a split windscreen but now thinking about it I can see why that might be a problem haha. You might be able to get an E-type on that budget.
Reply 18
I've never driven a car with a split windscreen but now thinking about it I can see why that might be a problem haha. You might be able to get an E-type on that budget.

E type for 20k? Possibly a Left hand drive S2 automatic with plenty of rust and a knacked interior. Nothing you'd actually *want* to own certainly! :wink:

Not a chance unless you want an E-Type that needs another 50k spent on it :biggrin:

Original post by Gladiatorsword
Whats an elk test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A Swedish car testing that requires a sudden steering movement at high speed. It is called that because it simulates what happens when you are driving along your usual Swedish country road and an elk, moose or a human runs across the path of the car and you have to do a quick maneuver to avoid it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending