The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Jobs / Social / Life (Edinburgh)

Hello all,

I was just wondering if any of you had information on jobs whilst studying at Edinburgh i.e. the types of jobs available etc.
Also what do you do in your social time also your day to day activities whilst studying there and finally what does your time table look like lecture wise.

Q
Original post by SchoolBoiQ
Hello all,

I was just wondering if any of you had information on jobs whilst studying at Edinburgh i.e. the types of jobs available etc.
Also what do you do in your social time also your day to day activities whilst studying there and finally what does your time table look like lecture wise.

Q

Jobs vary, but you will definitely find one. For example, I had an interview for a job in Edinburgh set up before I even came to uni here.
In my free time I'm either spending it around people, concentrating on some hobbies or surfing the internet (like just now).
And time tables depend on your subject, for example I'd have at least 2 contact hours per week.
Do you have any more specific questions?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by UPSDGoat
Jobs vary, but you will definitely find one. For example, I had an interview for a job in Edinburgh set up before I even came to uni here.
In my free time I'm either spending it around people, concentrating on some hobbies or surfing the internet (like just now).
And time tables depend on your subject, for example I'd have at least 2 contact hours per week.
Do you have any more specific questions?

Do most people get job in Edinburgh or London or in the US?
Original post by Ishh12
Do most people get job in Edinburgh or London or in the US?

I can't comment about London or the US. But in Edinburgh if you want a job, and if you work hard enough, you'll be able to find something that'll suit you. For example there's 4 people in my flat, 3 of us have jobs, the other 1 chooses not to work.
Reply 4
Original post by UPSDGoat
I can't comment about London or the US. But in Edinburgh if you want a job, and if you work hard enough, you'll be able to find something that'll suit you. For example there's 4 people in my flat, 3 of us have jobs, the other 1 chooses not to work.

so its not like people are not getting jobs at all right?
Original post by Ishh12
so its not like people are not getting jobs at all right?

Be aware that tier 4 visa holders can only work 20 hours a week during term time.
Reply 6
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Be aware that tier 4 visa holders can only work 20 hours a week during term time.

no i mean after graduating
Original post by Ishh12
no i mean after graduating

Mmmk. This thread isn't about graduate employment prospects though. Rest assured that if you're here on a tier 4 visa, your chances of getting a job in the UK after graduating are slim to zero.
Reply 8
Mmmk. This thread isn't about graduate employment prospects though. Rest assured that if you're here on a tier 4 visa, your chances of getting a job in the UK after graduating are slim to zero.

really so you are saying there almost no chance
Any medieval reenactment clubs in Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ishh12
really so you are saying there almost no chance

The UK is currently not particularly receptive to letting foreigners stay after they graduate. Given the result of the election earlier this month, I would expect it to get worse.
The UK is currently not particularly receptive to letting foreigners stay after they graduate. Given the result of the election earlier this month, I would expect it to get worse.

Say if I've been in this country for ten years now. If I graduate in 5 years completing my law or banking degree at Cambridge, will employers automatically not accept me for a position because I'm foreign?

If that's the case, then it's good that German is something I'll be studying. Hopefully the people there are less xenophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Say if I've been in this country for ten years now. If I graduate in 5 years completing my law or banking degree at Cambridge, will employers automatically not accept me for a position because I'm foreign?

:/ If you have indefinite leave to remain then clearly you can stay. But if (as in the case of the questioner) you come to Britain on a tier 4 visa, staying on after graduation is very difficult - you have to find an employer who wants to sponsor the new visa (and given current political rhetoric this will probably only get tougher). It's not impossible - it's just very difficult. but only you know what your own immigration status is, I don't.
:/ If you have indefinite leave to remain then clearly you can stay. But if (as in the case of the questioner) you come to Britain on a tier 4 visa, staying on after graduation is very difficult - you have to find an employer who wants to sponsor the new visa (and given current political rhetoric this will probably only get tougher). It's not impossible - it's just very difficult. but only you know what your own immigration status is, I don't.

Well I will be applying for a British citizenship very soon. so I guess I shouldn't be bothered really.

And yes I have permanent residency permission so it really doesn't matter.
I am a German citizen, planning to study in the UK, so since I have the EU Citizenship, will I be able to find a job easily we than say an American Citizen? After Graduation I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest