The Student Room Group

Should Gay people be able to adopt?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
When I look at it from my point of view - I wouldn't want to be raised by gay parents. I can't say why - I just wouldn't. I don't think I have many logical reasons for it - I'd just rather have a dad and a mum.

You say this with the anecdotal experience of having been raised by a mother and father, I assume. Would an orphan have the same point of view as you?
Nothing to do with passing on sexuality. I'd rather have a mum and a dad. Also I wouldn't like it if either of my parents "talked camp".

But like I said, if you were brought up with gay parents, you wouldn't know any different. What can a mum and did give you that a mum and mum, or dad and dad, can't?

Talked camp? Plenty of straight people have 'camp' voices. Plenty of gay people have 'normal' voices. That point is just totally daft.
I really don't understand why people have such big issues with gay adoption. I mean for one it's no one else's business other than the couple adopting, the social workers and the child itself. Are you gay and planning to adopt? If not your opinion doesn't matter. Isn't adoption for the better anyway, I mean you're loving and caring for a child that might have no parents, been abused or neglected in the past, so isn't adoption better? It really does not matter on the gender of the parents surely. Some people just need to grow up.
Yeah they should, so long as they're decent folk who will look after the kid they adopt.
Original post by h3isenberg
You say this with the anecdotal experience of having been raised by a mother and father, I assume. Would an orphan have the same point of view as you?

Who knows? I've had so many arguments and discussions with my friends but none of them could change my mind so there's no point. Make all the rational arguments you want - I'm not going to listen. Probably one of the effects of growing up in a Muslim family. Even though you convert out the old habits are still there :biggrin:
Original post by cokeed
I know more than one example, im just against it.

Maybe they had a reason for not letting the father see the child? Even so, there are obviously more cases of heterosexual parents neglecting and abusing their kids etc. The sexuality of the parents has nothing to do with how they raise their child.
Well, yes.

If two irresponsible heterosexual partners get together and have a baby without realising the consequences and shove it up for adoption, why is it so bad for a loving, homosexual couple to adopt it and raise it?
Yes. If they truly lived the child they would accept it even if it wasn't gay like it's parents. Also they choose to have children and don't accidentally get pregnant and have a child they never wanted. They'll love and care for the child because they went through a lot of trouble with adoptions to get the child

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cokeed
My best freind has two mothers and they havent allowed her to see her father she has a younger brother too and he has no male influence in his life which every child needs in my opinion if they have the oppotunity. Lesbian women in my experience are selfish when it comes to having children and often dont allow the fathers to have any input in the childs life, which is totally unfair. I am going off my own experiences and so far i dont think they should be able to adopt because i believe that a child should have a mother and father.

Have you any understanding of how assisted reproduction laws work? Given the vast majority of same-sex female couples, I believe, use AID as their reproduction method if they're to give birth themselves, they wouldn't even be allowed to know who the father is until the child turns eighteen, and even then, it would be up to the child to find that out, not the parents. They would understand this area of the law even before going to have the treatment. So if this were the case, it's nothing to do with "not letting". It's simply how assisted reproduction works. If it's through a personal arrangement between two women and a known donor, then that's up to them.

Also, I'm curious - what kind of influence does a male figure have that a female figure doesn't? Because I honestly can't think of anything.
Reply 29
He is gay too and lives abroad, all three of them have no interest. I think if you look from a childs perspective it wouldnt be great, considering everyone else will be different to you.
Reply 30
Original post by cokeed
My best freind has two mothers and they havent allowed her to see her father she has a younger brother too and he has no male influence in his life which every child needs in my opinion if they have the oppotunity. Lesbian women in my experience are selfish when it comes to having children and often dont allow the fathers to have any input in the childs life, which is totally unfair. I am going off my own experiences and so far i dont think they should be able to adopt because i believe that a child should have a mother and father.

I was raised by a single mum I had no male influence what so ever in my life and I am thankful and it is much better. So don't say that some dad's are full of rubbish its better ok don't say that. I hate WHEN people who think a family is mother and father many people who have that they end up failing and many single raised and by gay people suceed and having 2 parents mum and dad does not make you a better person or have a better life sometimes its the opposite.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Haha i feel you, im used to be a christian but ive left the faith but old teachings still remain
yes, in my opinion sexuality has no or very little impact on someone's ability to raise a child.
Make all the rational arguments you want - I'm not going to listen.

I don't get this. You won't listen to reasoning, despite accepting that it IS rational? Why? That's just obnoxious.
Reply 34
They have seen the dad before please dont try and patronise me. A dad in my experience helped shaped the person i am (despite him being a complete dick), from daft things like which football team i support to knowing my background which these children wont have a clue about
Original post by blackened_sky
I don't get this. You won't listen to reasoning, despite accepting that it IS rational? Why? That's just obnoxious.

Because as much as I try think about it - I couldn't stand having two dads. And then imagining them kiss and stuff :frown: I know it's silly of me to be disgusted but I just am.
Reply 36
Original post by Maria1812
I was raised by a single mum I had no mael influence what so ever in my life and I am thankful and it is much better. So don't say that some dad's are full of rubbish its better ok don't say that. I hate WHEN people who think a family is mother and father many people who have that they end up failing and many single raised and by gay people suceed and having 2 parents mum and dad does not make you a better person or have a better life sometimes its the opposite.

I just dont think it is best for a child
Because as much as I try think about it - I couldn't stand having two dads. And then imagining them kiss and stuff :frown: I know it's silly of me to be disgusted but I just am.

Yes, it is silly, but I won't attack you for your opinion on this, I'll just hope that some day soon you understand that love is love, and everyone regardless of sexuality deserves equal respect, equal opportunities, and equal rights.

The only people who shouldn't be able to adopt, or have children, are bad parents. Those who neglect, and those who abuse.
When I look at it from my point of view - I wouldn't want to be raised by gay parents. I can't say why - I just wouldn't. I don't think I have many logical reasons for it - I'd just rather have a dad and a mum.

dude being raised by gay parents would be hella cool
Reply 39

.Dads can hug you and they could tuck you in just like a mummy some men have a much better maternal instincts then some women they can be also very good. It does not matter whether you have a maternal or father figure as some women and men can be more feminine or more masculine you still can get the best of both world probably. My dad is never there so I have no father figure and I am so glad I dislike football and not all dads do a good job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending