The Student Room Group

Should Gay people be able to adopt?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94
No, they shouldn't be able to get married either.

Why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.
Reply 62
Neil Patrick Harris, that's all I'm going to say. He loves his kids (arguably more than some other straight parents I know) and they're happy and safe. I'm certain the same applies to other gay couples and their children, so I'm not really sure why anyone could deny someone the chance to care and provide for a child solely based on their sexuality.
Reply 63
Original post by BioStudentx
Who knows? I've had so many arguments and discussions with my friends but none of them could change my mind so there's no point. Make all the rational arguments you want - I'm not going to listen. Probably one of the effects of growing up in a Muslim family. Even though you convert out the old habits are still there :biggrin:

Did you convert at a later age? I denounced Islam pretty early and none of my opinions are based on Islam or my culture.
Gay people should be treated exactly the same as any other couple. At the end of the day, they are just people. The disgusting thing is that there are some parents who can have children as they please and end up neglecting them, whilst gay couples and couples who are sadly unable to have their own children have to go through checks and regulations which take YEARS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why did you denounce Islam FahzB? :angry:
When I look at it from my point of view - I wouldn't want to be raised by gay parents. I can't say why - I just wouldn't. I don't think I have many logical reasons for it - I'd just rather have a dad and a mum.

We're talking about whether or not they should be able to adopt in addition to the heterosexual couples already adopting. In that there are more children in public care than there are prospective adoptive parents, the children in question have a choice between being raised by gay parents and remaining in public care, with no real parent figures at all. What would you choose in that scenario?
Original post by Audiology-Med
Therefore having gay parents is not the family environment a child should be in.

The alternative is probably remaining in public care, with no real parent figures at all. That doesn't sound like a particularly healthy family environment either.
The only reason people might say no, is because of the lack of a genders influence, but even that would be a stupid reason, as if we go by that Logic, single parents shouldn't be able to have children.

So yes they should be allowed to.
Make all the rational arguments you want - I'm not going to listen.

Are you prepared to admit that that sheer bloody-minded stubbornness and unwillingness to listen to sense prevents you from improving as a person?
One kid does not need a mother and a father.
One kid need love!!
Does not matter if there is one mother and one father/ two mothers/ two fathers, a kid only need love.
I grew up only with my mother, she is my idol, she gave me all the love in the world and to me she is the super-mom.
So if the kid will grow up with two fathers and recieve love he will be a happy kid!!
So like Simon Cowell say 100 percent yes!!
Who knows? I've had so many arguments and discussions with my friends but none of them could change my mind so there's no point. Make all the rational arguments you want - I'm not going to listen. Probably one of the effects of growing up in a Muslim family. Even though you convert out the old habits are still there :biggrin:

Faith in humanity: -100

On topic:
Yes, assuming they are held to the same standards that straight couples are when they adopt a child, obviously. Why not? And if you're going to give a reason as to why they shouldn't be allowed to, then please back it up with some evidence - and no, anecdotal evidence about how 'lesbians are selfish' does not count.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's straight people who should not be able to adopt, have you seen the divorce rates? The poor children will grow up without father figures, being brought up by their single mothers on the dole... or they will get sexually abused by their fathers. Straight people are perverts as we all know. Have you read the news lately? All these straight people raping their daughters etc.

Gays can teach kids how to dress fashionably, teach them about musical theater, teach them not to succumb to stupid gender norms etc.Gays dont get accidentally pregnant so gays are more dedicated parents, not just popping out babies they dont want and cant afford. Gays make better parents, end of. We're fabulous.:u:

:nyan:
Let us adopt or I'm stealing a baby.
Reply 74
Original post by raspberr1es
Yeah they should, so long as they're decent folk who will look after the kid they adopt.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by driftawaay
It's straight people who should not be able to adopt, have you seen the divorce rates? The poor children will grow up without father figures, being brought up by their single mothers on the dole... or they will get sexually abused by their fathers. Straight people are perverts as we all know. Have you read the news lately? All these straight people raping their daughters etc.

Gays can teach kids how to dress fashionably, teach them about musical theater, teach them not to succumb to stupid gender norms etc.Gays dont get accidentally pregnant so gays are more dedicated parents, not just popping out babies they dont want and cant afford. Gays make better parents, end of. We're fabulous.:u:

:nyan:

:troll:
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
:troll:

Not as trollie as the homophobes following the exact same logic.
Original post by driftawaay
Not as trollie as the homophobes following the exact same logic.

Very true :smile:
Every gay couple that adopts will have to undergo a vetting and selection procedure. That instantly qualifies them above the majority of straight parents.
Reply 79
Original post by Audiology-Med
no they should not be allowed to adopt, imagine the emotional damage it can cause a child, they more likely to be teased at school which can affect their well being and future decisions, along side other problems which can arise, adopting should be in favour for the Childs benefits and in my opinion straight parents are going to give a child more of a stable and nicer life than any gay parents can. Just because a man can't get another man pregnant and vice versa with women instead, does not mean we have to feel sorry and give them children, they knew what they were getting themselves into with this type of life style and children are one of the costs of such relationships, theres a fine line between equal rights and just trying to please people just to be liked, children should be only adopted from straight parents,not by couples who cant have children due to the natural laws of nature e.g. Man + Man = No baby --- Man + Female = Baby (fertile offspring, therefore its natural)

Well straight couples prefer IVF because its their own blood and fertility treatment which is so expensive why because children from orphanages do not have their "own blood" according to some people so if there are no gay people to adopt them then no one will. What emotional damage please "nicer and stable life" many who have straight parents don't because the dad or mum could neglect them and if so one tries so hard to adopt you they will want to take care of you. I would prefer to have 2 mums rather then no parents at all a child once someone to care for them and it should not matter whether its 2 mums or 2 dads or a single person if they want to provide and care for you why not. And having any sort of parent can make you have no emotional damages

BEING IN AN ORGPHANAGE WHERE NO ONE WANTS YOU BECAUSE THEY WANT THEIR OWN BLOOD AND PREFER FERTILITY TREATMENT IS WHAT CAUSES EMOTIONAL DAMAGE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending