The Student Room Group

My friend told me that 6A*s at GCSE will get you auto-rejected for oxford maths

Is this true? I heard stories of people getting 90% on MAT and not even getting an interview because of something stupid like only having 5A*s at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IFapToEquations
Is this true? I heard stories of people getting 90% on MAT and not even getting an interview because of something stupid like only having 5A*s at GCSE

State school or private? If the former I doubt it, I'm not sure on the latter.
Why don't you ask Oxford or better yet look at their site instead of believing your dumb friend
Original post by Bushido Brown
State school or private? If the former I doubt it, I'm not sure on the latter.

well my friend comes from a school where the average for gcse is like 8-9A*s or something so I'm guessing it's private
Original post by bittr n swt
Why don't you ask Oxford or better yet look at their site instead of believing your dumb friend

I've already looked on their site, and their requirements for the course are very fuzzy. I think I was originally going to apply there but I feel like oxford is a very half-assed university if you like. Cambridge is probably better, but just incase I flop one of my modules for AS and get like 90% on it I'd like to know I have a plan B
lol oxford maths all about cambridge maths m9.

step + ums >.gcses and MAT

Although igcse 10 a stars so :d
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
lol oxford maths all about cambridge maths m9.

step + ums >.gcses and MAT

Although igcse 10 a stars so :d

yeah cambridge > oxford by far ik im just afraid I get ****ed by mechanics
No one cares about your GCSE's, your friends an idiot.
Reply 8

No, that's not true by any stretch.
Reply 9

There's an awful odour that I can smell coming from your friend

(for those that didn't get it, it's bull****)
Your friend is talking out his arse, Maths is about the only subject at Oxbridge where you only 1A* at GCSE (in Maths...). They don't care how good you are at French or History so long as you are a god at Maths. If you get 90 percent on the MAT, you're almost guaranteed an offer so long as you aren't a vegetable at interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
You have to have 5A*/A to apply (combination, it could be e.g. 1A* 4 As, not just 5A*).
Reply 12
Original post by urkadee
You have to have 5A*/A to apply (combination, it could be e.g. 1A* 4 As, not just 5A*).

No, there is no minimum A* or A (or sum thereof) requirement to apply to Oxford.
Reply 13
well my friend comes from a school where the average for gcse is like 8-9A*s or something so I'm guessing it's private

I'd say the teachers say that to them then to kick themselves into gear to try get above 6A*s. Thats probably why most of them get 8/9 A*s.
Reply 14

I got 6A*'s at gcse and got an offer :smile: Btw nice name
Reply 15
Original post by Brubeckian
No one cares about your GCSE's, your friends an idiot.

They do, especially at top universities. They're one of the factors that distinguish you from someone else. I got rejected from LSE because of my GCSEs, although my predicted grades are above what they require and I emailed Oxford beforehand to make sure I didn't waste an option.

Although OP, Cambridge are more lenient with GCSEs and will request your UMS marks instead.
Reply 16
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
They do, especially at top universities.

The OP was discussing maths at Oxford, and whilst GCSEs are in the mix they're not particularly important nor is there any minimum requirement. I agree that some other subjects and some other universities might take a different line on this.
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
They do, especially at top universities. They're one of the factors that distinguish you from someone else. I got rejected from LSE because of my GCSEs, although my predicted grades are above what they require and I emailed Oxford beforehand to make sure I didn't waste an option.

Although OP, Cambridge are more lenient with GCSEs and will request your UMS marks instead.

LSE admissions is a joke, everyone apart from them (excluding medicine courses) don't care.
Just to reiterate what RichE has already said - there are no minimum GCSE requirements for Maths at Oxford. You can take a look at our general feedback to applicants on our website - you'll see that for 2014 and 2013 everyone who scored over 70 in the MAT was short-listed for interview (this holds true for earlier years as well, but we don't have the graphs on the feedback).
Original post by Wahrheit
Your friend is talking out his arse, Maths is about the only subject at Oxbridge where you only 1A* at GCSE (in Maths...). They don't care how good you are at French or History so long as you are a god at Maths. If you get 90 percent on the MAT, you're almost guaranteed an offer so long as you aren't a vegetable at interview.

no youre not. About 15 people last year got over 90% in MAT and were rejected. Thats a pretty big number

Source: Go to 2014 feedback

www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test

Quick Reply

Latest