The Student Room Group

Fertilisers help

I don't have an answer book to my chemistry revision book, so can anyone give me the answer to any of these questions so I can correct my work?

1) Why is the Haber process carried out at a moderately high temperature and why is the yield of ammonia not 100%?

2) Why do the pipes used in the Haber process in the catalytic converter have thick walls?

3) Shown below are stages in the manufacture of nitric acid:
A + oxygen --> nitrogen dioxide --> nitric acid

a) Why is nitrogen dioxide not made from nitrogen?
b) Name gas A.

4a) Which reactant for the ammonia plant is produced in the reaction between methane and water?
b) Name the process that converts ammonia into nitrogen dioxide.

My answers

1) If too high, the products change back to reactants. If temp' is too low, the reaction is too slow.
2) So that no gas escapes
3a) oxygen is also needed
b) nitrogen
4a) methanol
b) Ostwald process
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mariabrightside
I don't have an answer book to my chemistry revision book, so can anyone give me the answer to any of these questions so I can correct my work?

1) Why is the Haber process carried out at a moderately high temperature and why is the yield of ammonia not 100%?

2) Why do the pipes used in the Haber process in the catalytic converter have thick walls?

b) Name gas A.

4a) Which reactant for the ammonia plant is produced in the reaction between methane and water?
b) Name the process that converts ammonia into nitrogen dioxide.

Show your work and comments will be made ...
Original post by charco
Show your work and comments will be made ...

I have added my answers to the original post... I should have thought of that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mariabrightside

My answers

1) If too high, the products change back to reactants. If temp' is too low, the reaction is too slow.

You have not addressed the 100%. You should add that the reaction is an equilibrium.

My answers

2) So that no gas escapes

To withstand the high pressure used. (250 atmospheres)

My answers

3a) oxygen is also needed

Nitrogen does not react directly with oxygen except under extreme circumstances such as electric discharge.

b) Name gas A.

My answers
b) nitrogen

Pretty poor answer given that they told you that it wasn't nitrogen in part a) !!!

The gas is ammonia

My answers
4a) methanol

Your choice of reactants for the ammonia plant are nitrogen and hydrogen!

b) Name the process that converts ammonia into nitrogen dioxide

b) Ostwald process

OK
Original post by charco
You have not addressed the 100%. You should add that the reaction is an equilibrium.

To withstand the high pressure used. (250 atmospheres)

Nitrogen does not react directly with oxygen except under extreme circumstances such as electric discharge.

Pretty poor answer given that they told you that it wasn't nitrogen in part a) !!!

The gas is ammonia

Your choice of reactants for the ammonia plant are nitrogen and hydrogen!

OK

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest