The Student Room Group

Missing my Oxford offer

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has much experience with this:I have an A*AA offer for E&M at Oxford, I already have an A* in Maths but it was taken 2 years ago and so it can't count towards my offer apparently. My AS's mean that if I get D's this year in exams across the board, I'll end up with AAAB, plus the A* in Maths. I really don't think I'll get the A* I need, it just doesn't feel as it normally does coming up to exams. Given my school have already let Oxford know about circumstances to do with teachers (have had to self teach 2 modules, 5 biology teachers over the course with the current one having a high absence rate, physics teacher left at easter), how LIKELY is it that I'll be accepted without the A*? My TSA score was low 70's. I know nobody can tell me for sure etc, but I'm just looking for opinions from anyone who has had experience with this kind of thing.Thanks
Reply 1
I'm not experienced in this, but aren't most successful applicants at Oxford likely to get several A*s? I wouldn't necessarily count on them letting you in regardless, but there's plenty of other unis. I'm almost certainly going to miss my Cambridge offer, and I've made peace with that. But I am somewhat of a pessimist.
Original post by Bayestheorem
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has much experience with this:I have an A*AA offer for E&M at Oxford, I already have an A* in Maths but it was taken 2 years ago and so it can't count towards my offer apparently. My AS's mean that if I get D's this year in exams across the board, I'll end up with AAAB, plus the A* in Maths. I really don't think I'll get the A* I need, it just doesn't feel as it normally does coming up to exams. Given my school have already let Oxford know about circumstances to do with teachers (have had to self teach 2 modules, 5 biology teachers over the course with the current one having a high absence rate, physics teacher left at easter), how LIKELY is it that I'll be accepted without the A*? My TSA score was low 70's. I know nobody can tell me for sure etc, but I'm just looking for opinions from anyone who has had experience with this kind of thing.Thanks

We write to all schools with conditional offer holders asking them to let us know about special circumstances when they arise and to provide contact details for the 6th Form Coordinator (or equivalent) in August when places are confirmed, Any documented cases where an offer-holder misses an offer are then reviewed by the selectors. We also consult with the Director of Undergraduate Admissions prior to a final decision to help ensure that decisions are consistent - although each case tends to have unique features.

My advice is to concentrate on your next exam/piece of revision - if the school has already contacted Oxford there is nothing else you need do at this stage. To some extent, a degree of anxiety can heighten performance but if you are starting to lose sleep through worry I would suggest seeking support from your school or a doctor.
Original post by Bayestheorem

No real way of knowing. It varies between Colleges and tutors to a degree- some Colleges for certain courses have fair histories of letting in people who have missed offers, others have a more puritan approach.

The best advice I can give you is to listen to what the Brasenose Admissions account has said. Seek out support if you're feeling the stress/worry is affecting you. I'd also look at your exams as tactically as possible and throw the kitchen sink at the 1 or 2 subjects where you think an A* is a realistic possibility and perhaps let one of your subjects slide if you don't need it for your offer. Better to get A*AAC than AAAB.

Quick Reply

Latest