The Student Room Group

Irritable bowel syndrome help & awareness

Scroll to see replies

A massive :hugs: to everyone on this thread. I really do hope you all feel better soon.

This time last year, I remember nearly passing out with the pain and nausea (and actually threw up as a result). At that point, things were so bad that I was referred to a GI because, after months of going to the GP's every couple of weeks, they suspected UC or Crohn's. I had a colonoscopy which was one of the worst hours of my life (I kid you not- I still have nightmares about it now nine months later :frown: ), and a small bowel MRI (which is how I found out I cannot tolerate sorbitol as it was in the prep drink... I'll say no more... :teehee:), which thankfully came back clear so I was given "it's IBS, bye!" and was discharged. For the last month or so, I've been unable to finish my meals (whereas I used to have a whale-sized appetite), am exhausted all the time (and lots of people have said I'm pale- think I'm anaemic again), and all the usual IBS stuff (bloating, cramps, odd bowel movements, y'know...), so I'm heading back to the doctor's next week. While it was good that they got me to see someone to get IBD's ruled out, they've never tested me for coeliac disease, so I'll be asking if I can have the test as I think I've sussed it as gluten.

Because I get nauseous so often, at uni my cupboards were full of ginger and peppermint teas, and my goodness the hot water bottle has been a life saver. :biggrin:

Again, lots of love to you guys! :biggrin:
Original post by Purplemascara
No problem, I've found it so helpful to read other people's experiences with it to be honest!! I was only diagnosed around February time, before I had a few bouts every few months but very rare, and I was able to eat a lot more. Suddenly, the last 3 months have been hell and I've had to restrict my diet so much as I've been having these upsets nearly every 2 weeks or more often. I think that part of the problem with ibs is stress, and when you get the pain you continue to stress about getting it, which then makes a vicious continual cycle and hard to recover.

What probiotics do you use, and do they help?? Also, I don't know if you will know, but does the sun help you feel better?? It's just a theory, as I know that in the summer and holiday I seem to feel better in myself in general, so whether this will be the same with me in regards to my ibs I don't know.

I hope you feel better soon, I always feel such a great amount of relief after it has passed!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi - Hope you (and everyone here) are feeling much better.

The sun helps, but I think that it's because when I have time to enjoy the sun/out of doors, I am less stressed. I'll try to make a point of setting aside some "relax" time.

As for the probiotics, I found this article to be great. It identifies the strains that you should take depending on which type of IBS you have. (I didn't even know that there were different categories of IBS!)
http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/faq/which-probiotics-are-for-ibs

And this article shows the results of some testing done on a few different brands:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11091887/Probiotics-how-each-fared-and-what-they-contain.html

Hope this helps!
Original post by wwwander
Hi - Hope you (and everyone here) are feeling much better.

The sun helps, but I think that it's because when I have time to enjoy the sun/out of doors, I am less stressed. I'll try to make a point of setting aside some "relax" time.

As for the probiotics, I found this article to be great. It identifies the strains that you should take depending on which type of IBS you have. (I didn't even know that there were different categories of IBS!)
http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/faq/which-probiotics-are-for-ibs

And this article shows the results of some testing done on a few different brands:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11091887/Probiotics-how-each-fared-and-what-they-contain.html

Hope this helps!

Thank you!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OH MY GOD GUYS IT MIGHT JUST BE ME BUT IVE HAD A MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH IN REALISING HOW WE COULD ALL CONQUER IBS FOR GOOD...

Please please please, I urge you to take a look at this, I've written it all down on a blog post of mine, purely so I didn't forget what I had just realised, and so I knew that it was in writing and in a safe place for me to revisit. I promise that it's not a long read at all, although it takes me a few paragraphs to get to the solution, but you really need to read all of it to understand. Will take you 2 minutes at most!!

http://giantblueeyes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/hope.html

A brief note after reading; when you go to the doctors talk about addressing each issue (e.g. diet intolerance test) individually, so that it is treated as its own thing, rather than saying you think/know that you have ibs which is 'probably caused by a range of symptoms'. It is so likely that the doctor will just prescribe you something to deal with the ending result that is irritable bowel syndrome, like painkillers, and you won't get the routes of the cause sorted, meaning that the ibs will probably never fully go away. The doctor will have felt like they have treated the issue that you came in with (IBS) but won't really have fixed what is actually causing it to happen in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OH MY GOD GUYS IT MIGHT JUST BE ME BUT IVE HAD A MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH IN REALISING HOW WE COULD ALL CONQUER IBS FOR GOOD...

Please please please, I urge you to take a look at this, I've written it all down on a blog post of mine, purely so I didn't forget what I had just realised, and so I knew that it was in writing and in a safe place for me to revisit. I promise that it's not a long read at all, although it takes me a few paragraphs to get to the solution, but you really need to read all of it to understand. Will take you 2 minutes at most!!

http://giantblueeyes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/hope.html

A brief note after reading; when you go to the doctors talk about addressing each issue (e.g. diet intolerance test) individually, so that it is treated as its own thing, rather than saying you think/know that you have ibs which is 'probably caused by a range of symptoms'. It is so likely that the doctor will just prescribe you something to deal with the ending result that is irritable bowel syndrome, like painkillers, and you won't get the routes of the cause sorted, meaning that the ibs will probably never fully go away. The doctor will have felt like they have treated the issue that you came in with (IBS) but won't really have fixed what is actually causing it to happen in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that! I will use this when I go to the doctors on Tuesday. It's all too easy for GPs to treat the symptoms, rather than get to the root cause of it with the patient. While I'm relieved that the consultant couldn't find any signs of Crohn's or UC when I had the tests done, it's frustrating to then not receive any kind of help for IBS. As genuinely lovely as my consultant was, he tended to think I was a stress head (I'm the complete opposite- "sloth like" is how many describe me!), and said that all I needed to do was to calm down (when actually all that was stressing me out was him telling me that Iwas stressed, when the truth was if I was any more chilled, I'd be a flipping ice block!). I'm hoping my GP can help. I trust her- she's a very good doctor who actually listens to what you have to say and puts me at ease (since the colonoscopy, I have- everyone says understandably- developed a bit of a phobia of doctors, but I totally trust her).

Hope you're feeling okay today! :biggrin: And again, thanks for posting this.
Reply 65
I am well aware of irritable bowel syndrome as I have recently been diagnosed and am living with it; it can flare up at times and other times it can be okay. I have identified certain foods which can trigger diarrhea, which is I kid you not, THE WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE. Stress can also be a major contributing factor to flare ups, and bloating is inevitable. I want to help people to raise awareness so nobody feels alone in this - I find it very helpfully being able to relate to others whilst going through something incredibly difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOVE that you started this thread, honestly as a hopeful medic myself im ashamed at the lack of support and research into IBS its so debilitating and can at times * with a really bad flare up * completely dominate your life. Add that to the stress of life exams work etc it makes it really hard to stay positive.
Original post by ChemicalBond
Thanks for that! I will use this when I go to the doctors on Tuesday. It's all too easy for GPs to treat the symptoms, rather than get to the root cause of it with the patient. While I'm relieved that the consultant couldn't find any signs of Crohn's or UC when I had the tests done, it's frustrating to then not receive any kind of help for IBS. As genuinely lovely as my consultant was, he tended to think I was a stress head (I'm the complete opposite- "sloth like" is how many describe me!), and said that all I needed to do was to calm down (when actually all that was stressing me out was him telling me that Iwas stressed, when the truth was if I was any more chilled, I'd be a flipping ice block!). I'm hoping my GP can help. I trust her- she's a very good doctor who actually listens to what you have to say and puts me at ease (since the colonoscopy, I have- everyone says understandably- developed a bit of a phobia of doctors, but I totally trust her).

Hope you're feeling okay today! :biggrin: And again, thanks for posting this.

You're welcome, I just think that everyone seems to have their own symptoms which cause IBS and I think that they can be helped individually which will prevent the last resort that is cramping etc. I hope you find a solution, I went to the doctors the other day and she said that because my bloods didn't show any intolerances, it was likely that the problem was the movement of the bowel. So she has prescribed me amitriptyline which is supposed to regulate this and take the pain away. After telling her that I don't think it is all stress that is causing this I think she chose the best option for me; if she couldn't identify what was changing the movement of my bowels at least she gave me something which would help to try and regulate. She also said that I could take mebeverine and peppermint oil capsules alongside each other which are both anti spasmodics just in case. So with all these things I can't see how I'd be able to be in so much pain again?! Let's hope I'm not proved wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OG-J3nn
LOVE that you started this thread, honestly as a hopeful medic myself im ashamed at the lack of support and research into IBS its so debilitating and can at times * with a really bad flare up * completely dominate your life. Add that to the stress of life exams work etc it makes it really hard to stay positive.

I understand, it can be so hard sometimes. I feel like there should be more support, but because there is a lack of knowledge surrounding ibs it largely goes ignored!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome, I just think that everyone seems to have their own symptoms which cause IBS and I think that they can be helped individually which will prevent the last resort that is cramping etc. I hope you find a solution, I went to the doctors the other day and she said that because my bloods didn't show any intolerances, it was likely that the problem was the movement of the bowel. So she has prescribed me amitriptyline which is supposed to regulate this and take the pain away. After telling her that I don't think it is all stress that is causing this I think she chose the best option for me; if she couldn't identify what was changing the movement of my bowels at least she gave me something which would help to try and regulate. She also said that I could take mebeverine and peppermint oil capsules alongside each other which are both anti spasmodics just in case. So with all these things I can't see how I'd be able to be in so much pain again?! Let's hope I'm not proved wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a lot of what you've said makes perfect sense. :smile: I hope that this sorts things out for you. I'm hoping for a solution at last, too. I think it's odd that I've never had a coeliac screening, despite seeing the doctors for three years complaining of tiredness and have recently had unexplained anaemia- both possible signs of coeliac disease- and think I'm low again (at one point my ferritin levels sunk to less than a third of the lower bound of "healthy" levels- even though I'm a vegetarian, my diet is very rich in iron and vitamin C, so it was certainly not through diet!). Hopefully because I've requested to see this particular doctor, she'll put agree with me (or at the very least listen). To be fair, the other GP's at the surgery are good, and it was a different GP who suggested getting IBD ruled out when my symptoms were particularly severe, but she's the best one at the surgery.

Again, I really hope your new prescription helps. Hope you feel better! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait - Is there a chance you could change your GP? I've been through all the blood tests and nothing came up. Yet, when I did a trial by elimination/reintroduction (under the guidance of a different GP), I tested positive to a handful of foods. Now I can feel the difference immediately and it takes awhile (7 days at least) to get rid of the reaction. Blood tests have been proven to be faulty at best!! https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/By the way, I am also on amitriptyline - 75mg at night. It makes me crave food intensely about an hour after taking and I've gained almost 10k. UGH!Anyhow, I highly recommend creating your own test by eliminating foods and reintroducing them one by one. It seems to be the only thing that has helped me.

Hope everyone is feeling good today! :u:
Wait - Is there a chance you could change your GP? I've been through all the blood tests and nothing came up. Yet, when I did a trial by elimination/reintroduction (under the guidance of a different GP), I tested positive to a handful of foods. Now I can feel the difference immediately and it takes awhile (7 days at least) to get rid of the reaction. Blood tests have been proven to be faulty at best!! https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/By the way, I am also on amitriptyline - 75mg at night. It makes me crave food intensely about an hour after taking and I've gained almost 10k. UGH!Anyhow, I highly recommend creating your own test by eliminating foods and reintroducing them one by one. It seems to be the only thing that has helped me.

Wow, I couldn't imagine taking 75mg - 25 and I was completely knocked out for a good 2 days!! So now I've halved the dosage to 12.5 although I'm still sleeping for a good 12 hours. Does this get easier and does your body get used to it and stop feeling so dreary? Also, do you find that it helps to take amitriptyline? I'm guessing your ibs was a lot more severe than mine if you're taking so much of the amitriptyline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't imagine the side effects at 75mg. I'm only on 10mg, although I most probably need to take a higher dose (my doctor said I can take 20mg), but side effects put me off upping dosage.
Original post by The Epicurean
I couldn't imagine the side effects at 75mg. I'm only on 10mg, although I most probably need to take a higher dose (my doctor said I can take 20mg), but side effects put me off upping dosage.

I upped the dose up to 20mg for a different condition. All I wanted to do was sleep. I would even struggle to stay awake during music practise... (and when people were talking to me - and no, he doesn't bore me that much!) I had no other side effects; but it didn't help with my condition at all.
Wow, I couldn't imagine taking 75mg - 25 and I was completely knocked out for a good 2 days!! So now I've halved the dosage to 12.5 although I'm still sleeping for a good 12 hours. Does this get easier and does your body get used to it and stop feeling so dreary? Also, do you find that it helps to take amitriptyline? I'm guessing your ibs was a lot more severe than mine if you're taking so much of the amitriptyline.
Posted from TSR Mobile

It does get easier and less dreary! I started at 10mg and increased (per my doctor) by 5 or 10 every 2 months. The amitriptyline was actually prescribed as a preventative for migraines. I get them nearly every day :frown: so something dramatic had to be done. I'm still sleeping about 9.5 hours, though.

I totally get it - the side effects are hateful at first! This last increase (from 60 to 75mg) was a solid month ago and I am still having problems adjusting to it (tired/lethargic, can't get up in the morning, can't stop eating at night). I know it'll level out and I'll drop the spare tire I've picked up.
It does get easier and less dreary! I started at 10mg and increased (per my doctor) by 5 or 10 every 2 months. The amitriptyline was actually prescribed as a preventative for migraines. I get them nearly every day :frown: so something dramatic had to be done. I'm still sleeping about 9.5 hours, though.

You have my sympathy. I have a slightly different condition. In the end, they took me off Amitriptyline because of the tiredness, tried a few more drugs and I currently take Topamax. It works; but it's horrible. (and it's why I'm having issues with my stomach again)
Original post by OU Student
I upped the dose up to 20mg for a different condition. All I wanted to do was sleep. I would even struggle to stay awake during music practise... (and when people were talking to me - and no, he doesn't bore me that much!) I had no other side effects; but it didn't help with my condition at all.

10mg has helped me quite a lot and has improved my QOL, so it would make sense for me to up my dose. At the moment I tend not to suffer too badly from drowsiness except when I get on the train :tongue: Or I sometimes get drowsiness in mornings if I take too late the night before (so I tend to take it a lot earlier in the day and it seems to help me avoid too much drowsiness). Although I imagine at 20mg drowsiness would be a lot worse. At the moment the main side effect I get is dryness of mouth which I struggle with at times at work as I work in retail and am not allowed to bring a drink on to shop floor and am often not allowed to leave shop floor (and it doesn't help that my manager likes to have heating on as high as possible).

I totally get it - the side effects are hateful at first! This last increase (from 60 to 75mg) was a solid month ago and I am still having problems adjusting to it (tired/lethargic, can't get up in the morning, can't stop eating at night). I know it'll level out and I'll drop the spare tire I've picked up.

:console:

Do you feel the improvement far outweighs the negatives (the side effects)?
10mg has helped me quite a lot and has improved my QOL, so it would make sense for me to up my dose. At the moment I tend not to suffer too badly from drowsiness except when I get on the train :tongue: Or I sometimes get drowsiness in mornings if I take too late the night before (so I tend to take it a lot earlier in the day and it seems to help me avoid too much drowsiness). Although I imagine at 20mg drowsiness would be a lot worse. At the moment the main side effect I get is dryness of mouth which I struggle with at times at work as I work in retail and am not allowed to bring a drink on to shop floor and am often not allowed to leave shop floor (and it doesn't help that my manager likes to have heating on as high as possible).

:console:

Do you feel the improvement far outweighs the negatives (the side effects)?

Oh, yes - I forgot about taking it earlier! You are absolutely correct - I have to take it early enough or I'll sleep away the entire morning!

Yes, for me, the benefits far outweigh the side effects. I am down to about 6 migraines per month these days.
You have my sympathy. I have a slightly different condition. In the end, they took me off Amitriptyline because of the tiredness, tried a few more drugs and I currently take Topamax. It works; but it's horrible. (and it's why I'm having issues with my stomach again)

Ah yes, Topamax. Ugh, I feel for you!! I had issues with that (side effects) so I'm in "experimental mode" where the doc tries a combination of things and then waits to see how I'll react. Sigh.

:dontknow:
Ah yes, Topamax. Ugh, I feel for you!! I had issues with that (side effects) so I'm in "experimental mode" where the doc tries a combination of things and then waits to see how I'll react. Sigh.

:dontknow:

They appear to be kind of experimenting with me. But because I use inhalers, they can't give me beta blockers. Don't think they have many other options now.

I've got issues with the side effects of Topamax; but it's the only thing that's worked for more than 3 months.
They appear to be kind of experimenting with me. But because I use inhalers, they can't give me beta blockers. Don't think they have many other options now.

I've got issues with the side effects of Topamax; but it's the only thing that's worked for more than 3 months.

Why can't you use inhalers if you use beta blockers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest