The Student Room Group

Irritable bowel syndrome help & awareness

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Purplemascara
Why can't you use inhalers if you use beta blockers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think one stops the other working. It has been explained to me before.
That explains why my pain relief tablets never worked a day after taking it then, I wish I was warned!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Urgh off work today. Feeling horrendous :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Urgh off work today. Feeling horrendous :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no :frown: Hope you feel better really soon!

Had my doctors appointment today. I'm pleased that I requested to see this particular doctor; she did listen to me. We went through my records together and she didn't know why I hadn't had a coeliac disease test, so I'm being tested for that and she wants to make sure my anaemia hasn't returned. She also said she "added a couple of things if you're okay with that" but didn't tell me what it was- when I was queuing to make the appointment in reception, I had a sneaky look at the forms and she's requested an AMA test (a test which helps to diagnose PBC (which damages your bile ducts). She seems at a loss at what could be causing the tiredness (I don't suffer low moods, I seem to be sleeping well, and have a good diet), and also wants me to come back in a couple of weeks for a blood pressure check (even though she did one there and then before saying that). I've got the blood test on Thursday morning. Looking forward to going on holiday next week and forgetting about it.
Original post by ChemicalBond

Had my doctors appointment today. I'm pleased that I requested to see this particular doctor; she did listen to me. We went through my records together and she didn't know why I hadn't had a coeliac disease test, so I'm being tested for that and she wants to make sure my anaemia hasn't returned. She also said she "added a couple of things if you're okay with that" but didn't tell me what it was- when I was queuing to make the appointment in reception, I had a sneaky look at the forms and she's requested an AMA test (a test which helps to diagnose PBC (which damages your bile ducts). She seems at a loss at what could be causing the tiredness (I don't suffer low moods, I seem to be sleeping well, and have a good diet), and also wants me to come back in a couple of weeks for a blood pressure check (even though she did one there and then before saying that). I've got the blood test on Thursday morning. Looking forward to going on holiday next week and forgetting about it.

Thank you :smile: glad you have found a helpful doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Thank you :smile: glad you have found a helpful doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, hope you're feeling better now! :biggrin:

And thank you. She's been my doctor since I was six, and when all of this started eighteen months ago she was really good. It's just that I didn't see her for over a year because she's such a good doctor that everyone requests her (or the one that suggested getting the colonoscopy and other IBD tests) so it was either wait three weeks to see either of them or wait three days and see one of the other two. I trust her the most. Just really hoping this won't turn into another repeat of last summer where I was permanently at the doctors or hospital for one test or another...
Original post by OU Student
They appear to be kind of experimenting with me. But because I use inhalers, they can't give me beta blockers. Don't think they have many other options now.

I've got issues with the side effects of Topamax; but it's the only thing that's worked for more than 3 months.

How long have you been on Topamax? Amitriptyline only works for about 3 months for me . . . Then they up the dose. I don't know what's next for me since I am at max right now...
Original post by wwwander
How long have you been on Topamax? Amitriptyline only works for about 3 months for me . . . Then they up the dose. I don't know what's next for me since I am at max right now...

Since December

In relation to your tiredness, you may have chronic fatigue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone been on amitriptyline where it has worked for them for more than 3 months?? Just read the comments on this thread and now I'm starting to worry that it will stop working for me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got diagnosed with IBS last year after having a colonoscopy and multiple scans. Mine always flares up when I'm stressed - even if it's just a little thing at work. It had a big effect on my revision and exams because of the pain.

Does anyone think that IBS could be used as a reason to request an ensuite room at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisystones
I got diagnosed with IBS last year after having a colonoscopy and multiple scans. Mine always flares up when I'm stressed - even if it's just a little thing at work. It had a big effect on my revision and exams because of the pain.

Does anyone think that IBS could be used as a reason to request an ensuite room at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth a try, it's a debilitating illness and I can't see why you would be refused considering the circumstances - they can't refuse you a toilet which you may need to access at any point of the day urgently, especially where you would be living!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, my bloods came back normal. I'm very glad that they did come back normal, but on the same token I'm beginning to feel a little bit frustrated as it's now been 18 months and they still haven't found a cause for the tiredness. I also don't want to keep going back to the doctors as I'm worried about being labelled as a hypochondriac, and I get the feeling that some people already think I am.

Hope everyone's feeling okay today! :biggrin:
Does anyone else get when they're fine with a certain food. Then all of a sudden bam, and you can no longer eat that food anymore because it sets off your ibs. Or is that just me?
Original post by Pix2015
Does anyone else get when they're fine with a certain food. Then all of a sudden bam, and you can no longer eat that food anymore because it sets off your ibs. Or is that just me?

Yes! :biggrin: I found at Christmas I can't have apples raw, but I'm fine with them when they're cooked. I never had that before about Christmas.
So, my bloods came back normal. I'm very glad that they did come back normal, but on the same token I'm beginning to feel a little bit frustrated as it's now been 18 months and they still haven't found a cause for the tiredness. I also don't want to keep going back to the doctors as I'm worried about being labelled as a hypochondriac, and I get the feeling that some people already think I am.

Hope everyone's feeling okay today! :biggrin:

You may have chronic fatigue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pix2015

Yes!! Last year I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted and since February this year I can't seem to have anything...I think staying on a basic diet for 8 weeks to clear all toxins out of the gut would be worth a go as removing a build up of whatever is going on in your bowels may help things go back to normal and may increase your tolerance again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Purplemascara3
Yes!! Last year I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted and since February this year I can't seem to have anything...I think staying on a basic diet for 8 weeks to clear all toxins out of the gut would be worth a go as removing a build up of whatever is going on in your bowels may help things go back to normal and may increase your tolerance again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I really don't want to risk it as the pain is so bad when it reacts. I'm happy just not eating a particular food and staying on a particular diet. I think it maybe a certain ingredient in foods and other things. Have you tried this 8 week diet thing did it work for you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done it for 4 so far and this has been the longest amount of time that I haven't suffered an attack... Until I added in chocolate and suddenly had an attack yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel your pain.. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest