The Student Room Group

how to integrate x^3 multiplied with e^(x^2)?

Heres my working20150527_072931.jpg what did I do wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I might be wrong.... But the intergral of e^(x^2) is e^x2 divided by 2 not 2x :s-smilie:
Split the x^3 so that you have u=x^2 and v'=xe(x^2).
Are you sure it's not e^2x? I think it's impossible to integrate e^(x^2).
Reply 4
Original post by Student20
Are you sure it's not e^2x? I think it's impossible to integrate e^(x^2).

20150527_100747.jpg Book doesnt lie.
Reply 5
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Split the x^3 so that you have u=x^2 and v'=xe(x^2).

Does it mean what I did is wrong? Can you highlight which part is wrong?
Hmm I think you need to do u = and dv/dx = the other way around, d(e^(x^2))/dx will give you 2x * e^(x^2) then I guess you got to somehow work your way back with the integral part...

I'll have a go at it tomorrow my mind isn't functioning properly at this severely messed up time
Reply 7
Original post by spfl
I think the book probably mean't differentiate rather than integrate.

Edit: Unless it wants you to use integration by parts only once, integrating the x^3 term and differentiating the e^(x^2) term. Which ultimately wouldn't arrive at a final answer, you'd have to just keep doing the same thing over and over just with and increase power on the (first) x term.

That will not result in a completed integral. It will go on forever!
Reply 8
Original post by Student20
Hmm I think you need to do u = and dv/dx = the other way around, d(e^(x^2))/dx will give you 2x * e^(x^2) then I guess you got to somehow work your way back with the integral part...

I'll have a go at it tomorrow my mind isn't functioning properly at this severely messed up time

Ok, thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by spfl
Yeah, that's why I think it mean't differentiate rather than integrate. Is there by any chance an answer at the back or something?

Here is the answer.20150527_104344.jpg
Original post by chhhhelsie
20150527_100747.jpg Book doesnt lie.

Clearly they want you to use your result from when you differentiated e^x^2 in some way.

So think about it: you know the integral of 2xe^x^2 now, from the above. Can you split the product x^3e^x^2 in some way that lets you use that result when you do IBP?

Nice questions btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chhhhelsie
Heres my working20150527_072931.jpg what did I do wrong?

You have good hints from HOPEL3SS and ClickItBack.

Your mistakes were splitting the product in an unhelpful way and trying to integrate ex2e^{x^2}.

You can rewrite the integral as x3ex2dx=(x2)(xex2)dx\displaystyle \int x^3 e^{x^2} dx = \int (x^2)\left(x e^{x^2}\right) dx.
Let t=ex2 t=e^{x^{2}} then dt=2xex2dx. dt=2xe^{x^{2}}dx. Now taking the natural log of t=ex2 t=e^{x^{2}} we get lnt=x2. \ln{t}=x^{2}. Now integrate 12tlnt \frac{1}{2} t \cdot \ln{t} by parts and you're set.
(edited 8 years ago)
please tell me this isn't a C4 question?
Reply 14
Original post by the1akshay
please tell me this isn't a C4 question?

All the methods involved are C4. And given the hint in part a), this becomes a question that should be doable by many C4 students aiming for a top grade.
Reply 15
Easier with a decent substitution.
Let I = integral of x^3 e^(2^x) dx

let u =x^2, du = 2 x dx

then I = 1/2 integral of u e^u du

now let v= e^u, dv = e^u du

now I = 1/2 integral of u dv

= 1/2 ( uv - integral of v du )
=1/2 (u e^u - integral of e^u du)
=1/2 ( u e^u - e^u)
=1/2 (x^2 e^(x^2) - e^(x^2))
=e^(x/2)/2 (x^2 -1) [+C]
I think your answers right. The other answer is right aswell but the method seems correct.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sirelis
I might be wrong.... But the intergral of e^(x^2) is e^x2 divided by 2 not 2x :s-smilie:

no it is e^x^2 divided by 2x

Quick Reply

Latest