The Student Room Group

Do you feel ashamed to not know your mother tongue?

Ok so I'm a 17 year old girl, my descent is from Bangladesh.

My older siblings know the language (Bengali) really well and have a cool relationship with our parents.

On the other hand, as I'm the youngest, i guess my siblings acted as my parents because i spoke to them in English and they have always helped me. I don't really have a normal relationship with my parents, like they feed me, take care of me (I'm so grateful btw!) But i feel like I'm a horrible daughter for not being able to communicate with them and share my life with them?

Just imagine your parents speaking alien or something, and you can't bond you know? I understand the language 100%, I'm just not good at speaking it.

Anyone else in my position? Sorry this is soo long. :frown: <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I feel you. I can't speak my mother tongue either (and I guess my autism has something to do with it)
My mum wasn't taught Wolof for "integration" purposes but she knows it but I didn't learn :frown: One day I will!
Same for Italian and Spanish... I'll all learn them one day.
It's such a shame and being able to speak 2 or more languages is so beneficial.
My siblings and I only speak English (but we understand Somali). My parents speak English, Italian and Somali. My dad speaks English with us whereas my mum usually speaks Somali with us. I don't feel ashamed to not know my mother tongue because I don't need it. Sure it'd be cool to be fully bilingual but honestly I don't really care.

Your relationship with your parents is exactly like my relationship with my grandparents. My grandparents speak Italian and Somali (they stayed here in the UK for a while) and omg communicating with them was so awkward. I could understand what they were saying but I couldn't reply back so I was just awkwardly smiling along.

I'm sure your parents feel the same if not a bit worse. They live in an English speaking country and therefore they can't speak the language of their youngest daughter. I imagine that they feel that they've also lost touch with you and lot of what's going on around them. Imagine you were in their position... You live in Bangladesh and everyone speaks Bengali apart from you.

If it's a big problem then I guess you could ask your siblings to teach you (I'm assuming they speak Bengali) or you could self-teach. Closing the gap between understanding and speaking isn't too hard as long as you put in the effort.
Reply 4
I can still somewhat understand Dutch, but I can barely speak it now, I'm a fraud :cry:
Reply 5
I am a tiny bit German and wish I could speak it fluently. I know enough to get by though. :smile:
Reply 6
Family comes from Ireland but I don't know a word of Irish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope I'm not ashamed, in fact my mum taught me the mother language first since babies can pick up new languages easily 😂😂
Original post by diamondluck

My older siblings know the language (Bengali) really well and have a cool relationship with our parents.

On the other hand, as I'm the youngest, i guess my siblings acted as my parents because i spoke to them in English and they have always helped me. I don't really have a normal relationship with my parents, like they feed me, take care of me (I'm so grateful btw!) But i feel like I'm a horrible daughter for not being able to communicate with them and share my life with them?

Just imagine your parents speaking alien or something, and you can't bond you know? I understand the language 100%, I'm just not good at speaking it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is ridiculous. As someone of Japanese descent, I understand that people lose command of their parents' native language. For a while, I couldn't speak Japanese all to well, but could understand it, so I was in a similar situation too. But if it's that big of a deal to you, then you should be doing your best to learn Bengali, especially the speaking portion of it.The best way to learn speaking skills is to actually speak the language. You should try to communicate with your parents, regardless of your language skills. If you do that, then you WILL get better.
Reply 9
I understand about 70% of my mother dialect in conversation but don't speak it well. Most of the time I tell people I don't understand, so they talked about me in that language, which I can pick up. LOL

Seriously though, if it makes you feel disconnected, then learn it. Family support is a strong factor in learning a language.
Original post by diamondluck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile:, im banladeshi too and im in a similar position. I cant speak bengali, well maybe the very rough kind but not enough to have an actual convo. Im also the youngest of my family :wink: i always needed one of my siblings around to converse with my parents, i always believe my siblings are more closer to my parents aswell as elder relatives.

Imo try to speak as much as u can, hopefully it will get better soon, and lol no its not too long :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to be able to only understand French, made interactions with cousins way harder. I started learning a little french and they learned a little english, so everyone is happy!
Original post by jedanselemyia
My mum wasn't taught Wolof for "integration" purposes but she knows it but I didn't learn :frown: One day I will!
Same for Italian and Spanish... I'll all learn them one day.
It's such a shame and being able to speak 2 or more languages is so beneficial.

ye my parents know 5 languages and only taught me English. So lazy
3 languages are spoken at my home, i can understand all of them but it sucks how i only respond in english
Original post by ChickenMadness

Wow, my parents also know 5 languages, but English is the only language that everyone speaks in. I always wanted my dad to teach me German and for my mother to teach me dutch, but :u:
I would be if I couldn't. But there are many languages in my family and I had to make an effort to learn them since they're barely spoken in the house.
Reply 16
I would be really ashamed if I didn't. My parents wouldn't even let me grow up without speaking a word of our native languages in the first place. Couldn't imagine communicating with my parents in English :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChickenMadness

Now that sucks :\ What languages?
At least I know English and French
Original post by excaliburnus
My siblings and I only speak English (but we understand Somali). My parents speak English, Italian and Somali. My dad speaks English with us whereas my mum usually speaks Somali with us. I don't feel ashamed to not know my mother tongue because I don't need it. Sure it'd be cool to be fully bilingual but honestly I don't really care.

Your relationship with your parents is exactly like my relationship with my grandparents. My grandparents speak Italian and Somali (they stayed here in the UK for a while) and omg communicating with them was so awkward. I could understand what they were saying but I couldn't reply back so I was just awkwardly smiling along.

I'm sure your parents feel the same if not a bit worse. They live in an English speaking country and therefore they can't speak the language of their youngest daughter. I imagine that they feel that they've also lost touch with you and lot of what's going on around them. Imagine you were in their position... You live in Bangladesh and everyone speaks Bengali apart from you.

If it's a big problem then I guess you could ask your siblings to teach you (I'm assuming they speak Bengali) or you could self-teach. Closing the gap between understanding and speaking isn't too hard as long as you put in the effort.

Aw this really helps :')
Yeah I'm definitely going to use this summer to get my Bengali to a good standard (dunno how yet) but i know, they probably feel worse than me about it.

That's what i do as well, i just smile and nod or say like simple things lol. My parents do know simple english but not like how I know it obvs lol.

The weirdest part is that a lot of young Asians like me go through this, and well we all get bad mouthed for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a Moldovan, I am ashamed to say that my English is much more pronounced than my Romanian, which is rather shameful.

I really should read more of my native literature. But it's so boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending