The Student Room Group

Freshfield's (Magic Circle Firm) Target Universities

Hey TSR people, I am borrowing my friend's TSR account because I was wondering why Freshfields doesn't recruit from some universities?

According to their website (http://www.freshfields.com/en/united_kingdom/careers/trainees/Vacation-schemes-and-programmes/campus-ambassadors/), they recruit mainly from:
- Birmingham;
- Bristol;
- Cambridge;
- Cardiff;
- Durham;
- Exeter;
- Glasgow;
- King’s College London;
- Leeds;
- LSE;
- Manchester;
- Nottingham;
- Oxford;
- Queen’s University Belfast;
- Sheffield;
- Southampton;
- St Andrews;
- UCL;
- Warwick; and
- York.

I am confused as to why Edinburgh is not on this list whereas universities like QUB/Cardiff are on it.
Also why is St Andrews on it when it doesn't even offer a law course?? If they recruit from universities which don't offer law, surely Imperial should be on it as well?
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Edinburgh is a difficult university to recruit from for a number of reasons:

those studying law are doing Scottish law and tend to want to stay in Scotland

they haven't got a great student law society

there isn't a law careers fair for non-Scottish firms. You have to go to a generic careers fair with every other sector, which as a recruiter is the worst careers fair because 99% of the attendees aren't interested in law

All the other universities on those lists tend to have a better reliability when it comes to:

1) a decent number of students wanting to pursue a career in commercial law in England

2) an active student law society who are easy to deal with

3) a careers service and/or law faculty that you can work well with

Unfortunately Edinburgh tends to fail on all three of the above and therefore is a much more difficult university to "target".

Imperial have a good careers service but have very few students interested in law, where their courses are so science based. St Andrews has a strong number of people who pursue law where they have a strong reputation for Humanities subjects and languages. For instance Imperial doesn't run a law careers fair, but St Andrews does, despite neither of them having a law course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I thought that maybe the case as well with Scottish law but then I noticed that Glasgow is on the list - I don't think they offer English law?
& Do you know if Cardiff or Belfast teaches English law even though they are in Wales and N Ireland respectively?

Thanks for clarifying the point about Imperial and St Andrews! I noticed Bath also has an active law society but doesn't offer law - do you perhaps maybe know why?

It seems that Freshfields only recruits from the Russell Group (+ St Andrews) with the exception of Edinburgh, Imperial, Liverpool, Newcastle & Queen Mary.
Reply 2
Obviously by no means will every university on that list will be represented in every intake - many on that list will have one maybe two trainees at Freshfields every 3 or 4 years. There are at least two Edinburgh law graduates in my intake at Freshfields. So I don't agree that the list correlates with who the firm actually recruits.

Original post by CompSci16
Hey TSR people, I am borrowing my friend's TSR account because I was wondering why Freshfields doesn't recruit from some universities?

According to their website (http://www.freshfields.com/en/united_kingdom/careers/trainees/Vacation-schemes-and-programmes/campus-ambassadors/), they recruit mainly from:
- Birmingham;
- Bristol;
- Cambridge;
- Cardiff;
- Durham;
- Exeter;
- Glasgow;
- King’s College London;
- Leeds;
- LSE;
- Manchester;
- Nottingham;
- Oxford;
- Sheffield;
- Southampton;
- St Andrews;
- UCL;
- Warwick; and
- York.

I am confused as to why Edinburgh is not on this list whereas universities like QUB/Cardiff are on it.
Also why is St Andrews on it when it doesn't even offer a law course?? If they recruit from universities which don't offer law, surely Imperial should be on it as well?
Original post by CompSci16

- Birmingham;
- Bristol;
- Cambridge;
- Cardiff;
- Durham;
- Exeter;
- Glasgow;
- King’s College London;
- Leeds;
- LSE;
- Manchester;
- Nottingham;
- Oxford;
- Sheffield;
- Southampton;
- St Andrews;
- UCL;
- Warwick; and
- York.

It would seem that you haven't properly read the page that you've referred to - the list simply refers to where Freshfields have campus ambassadors, not an exhaustive list of where they recruit from...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending