The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at UCL?

Hello there! I made TSR account just to post this because I am very worried and this will be long so I'll put a tl;dr at the bottom.

My first choice university is UCL to study Architecture, one of the most competitive universities for Architecture in the world (well it is #2 in the world behind MIT so I would expect that) and the thing is is that pretty much my future depends on going to UCL.

Okay, before I get ahead of myself I think I need a bit of background. I go to a private school in Oxford and I didn't do too well for my GCSE's. I got 3 A*'s (English language, Art, History), 4 B's (Maths, English Lit and Dual Science but I did get 2 A*'s for the physics modules) ,1 C (Spanish) and 1 D (P.E. but who cares about a PE GCSE?). At the moment I do the IB course taking Art, Physics and Psychology higher level and Italian, Maths Studies and English Standard level. For IB, UCL are looking at around 36 points and so far my predicted grades are a bit above that.

The thing is that Architecture at UCL isn't very academic and I couldn't find a better course if I tried. For example, there are no exams at all which I love (exams was one reason why I hate school because I feel they are not an accurate representation of one's ability) and so it's all studio work and very hands-on. I am a very practical person and quite good with my hands with sculpting drawing and I'm also very good at using computers. Finally, they request creative and unique people who do art outside of class as well. Turns out, I am extremely creative and maybe a bit too unique and do a bit too much art out of class. I guess you get the point.

So I really want to get to UCL so then I could advance for my Master's at UC Berkeley and I know that UCL have quite good connections to Berkeley and then I will move to California and have a grand ol' time but the hugest boulder in my way is getting accepted to UCL. So from what I've said, do you think I have a chance? (Also, I give pretty good interviews)

Thank you!! :biggrin:

tl;dr: 3A*'s, 4B's, 1C and 1D for my GCSE's. IB predicted grades around the area UCL are looking for, the course is absolutely perfect for me and from reading the sorts of people they want going, I could do quite well but the course is extraordinarily competitive - 14 places for 1 spot. So do I have a chance?
Original post by xenopheanis
Hello there! I made TSR account just to post this because I am very worried and this will be long so I'll put a tl;dr at the bottom.

My first choice university is UCL to study Architecture, one of the most competitive universities for Architecture in the world (well it is #2 in the world behind MIT so I would expect that) and the thing is is that pretty much my future depends on going to UCL.

Okay, before I get ahead of myself I think I need a bit of background. I go to a private school in Oxford and I didn't do too well for my GCSE's. I got 3 A*'s (English language, Art, History), 4 B's (Maths, English Lit and Dual Science but I did get 2 A*'s for the physics modules) ,1 C (Spanish) and 1 D (P.E. but who cares about a PE GCSE?). At the moment I do the IB course taking Art, Physics and Psychology higher level and Italian, Maths Studies and English Standard level. For IB, UCL are looking at around 36 points and so far my predicted grades are a bit above that.

The thing is that Architecture at UCL isn't very academic and I couldn't find a better course if I tried. For example, there are no exams at all which I love (exams was one reason why I hate school because I feel they are not an accurate representation of one's ability) and so it's all studio work and very hands-on. I am a very practical person and quite good with my hands with sculpting drawing and I'm also very good at using computers. Finally, they request creative and unique people who do art outside of class as well. Turns out, I am extremely creative and maybe a bit too unique and do a bit too much art out of class. I guess you get the point.

So I really want to get to UCL so then I could advance for my Master's at UC Berkeley and I know that UCL have quite good connections to Berkeley and then I will move to California and have a grand ol' time but the hugest boulder in my way is getting accepted to UCL. So from what I've said, do you think I have a chance? (Also, I give pretty good interviews)

Thank you!! :biggrin:

tl;dr: 3A*'s, 4B's, 1C and 1D for my GCSE's. IB predicted grades around the area UCL are looking for, the course is absolutely perfect for me and from reading the sorts of people they want going, I could do quite well but the course is extraordinarily competitive - 14 places for 1 spot. So do I have a chance?

Logically, yes. If you are on target to exceed the IB entry requirements and have a good portfolio (which appears to be essential) then your relatively poor GCSEs (which seem to concern you) will be of less importance.
If you meet the stated entry requirements and you have a decent portfolio, then it's definitely worth applying.

However, you have 5 choices on your UCAS form, so it's definitely worth researching more unis that might be suitable, because you do need a back up option - UCL architecture is so competitive that plenty of good candidates get rejected every year.

I can't claim to have a comprehensive knowledge of UK architecture degree options, but I have friends who did architecture at Manchester - they didn't have any exams, and the course was very hands on / vocational too - there were always making models, using photoshop and occasionally making bigger things too. http://www.msa.ac.uk/study/ba/
Original post by xenopheanis

As has been said above, if your A level predictions are okay, then the only thing you need to focus on is your portfolio. You've correctly acknowledged that architecture at UCL (like many other top architecture courses) is fiercely competitive, and thus you need an exceptional portfolio to stand a chance. If you say you do 'too much' art out of class, then theoretically you should be fine. Obviously, just because you do a lot, doesn't necessarily mean you're exactly what they're looking for: different architecture schools look for different things, as they all have such distinctive styles. For instance, I sent the exact same portfolio to all universities when I applied; most of them loved it, but others didn't.

In short, it sounds like you're doing the right things. But just in case UCL doesn't work out, it could be worth looking at some other schools. As has been said above, many courses are more hands on with very few exams. I've just finished my undergrad at Sheffield, and we had one exam in the last three years, which they're currently looking at getting rid of - this is pretty typical in architecture courses (as far as I'm aware, anyway).
UCL is super competitive, like the others have said there is no sure way to get an offer, so look at other Uni's too. I wanted to get into UCL, I got 8A's, 2A* and GCSE, 2A's 2B's at AS and predicted A*, 3A's at A2, but they didn't like my portfolio, despite getting pretty much 100% in art. So basically my point is UCL is a great goal and you do stand a good chance, they're not just looking for good grades, however, consider other options 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending