The Student Room Group

I need advice! URGENTLY

I know I'm utterly stupid for leaving revision this late but I'm just a really bad procrastinator and just didn't realize what an idiot I was being. I'm going to cut to the chase, I have 6 days till my exams kick in fully and at the moment I'm expecting myself to get mostly Bs and As which simply isn't good enough as I aspire to be a dentist. I need your advice on how to get a ton of revision done quickly and efficiently, I don't care if it means I'll be stuck to my revision book all day but I just need to be as efficient as possible. Please give me advice on what to do as i want at least mostly all A grades and a few A* but I'm really panicking and I'm unsure about whether I'll be able to fill this life long aspiration. Please help, I need it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PAST PAPERS ARE LIFE !
DO THEM!
and then anything you don't understand revise that topic and eventually over the week you will learn both content and exam technique.
Also try not to stress out too much, if you doubt yourself then you are restricting the amount of knowledge that you take in and remember. On the exam day don't do any revision, just read through notes you might have made and relax.
Just do loads of past papers then work on areas that you found tricky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooo find your main A* worthy subjects and focus on them. Say for dentistry probably sciences and maths but maths doesn't need much revision. Just read a revision guide that is specifically for your course. For english watch Mr Bruff vids on YouTube. At least that's what I would do! Good luck
Stop wasting time on TSR and go do it.
Reply 5
Original post by aamirac
PAST PAPERS ARE LIFE !
DO THEM!
and then anything you don't understand revise that topic and eventually over the week you will learn both content and exam technique.
Also try not to stress out too much, if you doubt yourself then you are restricting the amount of knowledge that you take in and remember. On the exam day don't do any revision, just read through notes you might have made and relax.

I'll attempt that, I have printed many past papers but my only issue with that is the unexpected questions that are becoming more common, like I don't know how i can prepare for those
I FEEL YOU, I AM IN THIS POSITION RIGHT NOW!

Sciences & Maths: crash course the content (literally quickly go over it) then do Past Papers

English: learn the format of the exam and how you're going to approach it (in what order of questions) as well as your timings
Reply 7
Original post by wannabedoc123
Oooo find your main A* worthy subjects and focus on them. Say for dentistry probably sciences and maths but maths doesn't need much revision. Just read a revision guide that is specifically for your course. For english watch Mr Bruff vids on YouTube. At least that's what I would do! Good luck

Yeah I think the sciences are what I'm fine on, I highly doubt that I'll get lower than an A on those but I understand that dental universities demand stupidly high grades in every subject that I doubt I'll get
Reply 8
Original post by mareyak
I FEEL YOU, I AM IN THIS POSITION RIGHT NOW!

Sciences & Maths: crash course the content (literally quickly go over it) then do Past Papers

English: learn the format of the exam and how you're going to approach it (in what order of questions) as well as your timings

At least I'm not the only one! Alright I'll try that, thanks
Dw I started revision 2 days before my first exam and got mostly A*s, you just have to be methodical. First of all, don't look at your phone from when you wake up til about 8pm. Don't turn on your computer/tablet either, that counts. No games. Nothing. Break up your time into slots of a few hours each and then do the following:

Read each topic (just stick to cgp revision guides or something) until you understand it (don't take any notes it takes too much time and is inefficient) then answer questions/write an essay immediately after the end of the topic (perhaps from past papers or text book) to solidify each one, then move onto the next topic. And by topic I mean big topic, will be equivalent to maybe a chapter in a cgp guide. When you're done, do some past papers. The night before an exam, do a couple of hours of last papers, when you're in pre-exam mode you'll find it very hard to take in new information by reading it, past papers are the best. First thing you need to do is timetavle your revision, you should be able to manage one slot 9-12, one slot 1:30-4:30 then idk when you have dinner but you can easily get another 3-4 hours in there every day.

If you want specific subject advice just ask.
Original post by Wahrheit
Dw I started revision 2 days before my first exam and got mostly A*s, you just have to be methodical. First of all, don't look at your phone from when you wake up til about 8pm. Don't turn on your computer/tablet either, that counts. No games. Nothing. Break up your time into slots of a few hours each and then do the following:

Read each topic (just stick to cgp revision guides or something) until you understand it (don't take any notes it takes too much time and is inefficient) then answer questions/write an essay immediately after the end of the topic (perhaps from past papers or text book) to solidify each one, then move onto the next topic. And by topic I mean big topic, will be equivalent to maybe a chapter in a cgp guide. When you're done, do some past papers. The night before an exam, do a couple of hours of last papers, when you're in pre-exam mode you'll find it very hard to take in new information by reading it, past papers are the best. First thing you need to do is timetavle your revision, you should be able to manage one slot 9-12, one slot 1:30-4:30 then idk when you have dinner but you can easily get another 3-4 hours in there every day.

If you want specific subject advice just ask.

That's very reassuring! there is still hope of getting an A*

Can I get specific subject advice for the sciences. What is from your experience the best (and quickest) way to properly revise them?

Thank you!
Original post by mareyak
That's very reassuring! there is still hope of getting an A*

Can I get specific subject advice for the sciences. What is from your experience the best (and quickest) way to properly revise them?

Thank you!

For sciences I would just ignore all the other materials you have and just read the cgp revision guides then do past papers and really, really pay attention to the mark schemes and similarities in past papers. You don't have to learn how to do the subject so much as learning how to do the exams. That's the trick. So revise the mark schemes. Really important point. Eg in biology a level (can't remember any specific examples from GCSE sorry) any question about osmosis you always get a mark for saying 'down the water potential gradient' even if the rest of your answer is complete bull. You just have to think like an examiner; what do they WANT you to put that makes it really easy for them to mark?
Original post by Wahrheit
For sciences I would just ignore all the other materials you have and just read the cgp revision guides then do past papers and really, really pay attention to the mark schemes and similarities in past papers. You don't have to learn how to do the subject so much as learning how to do the exams. That's the trick. So revise the mark schemes. Really important point. Eg in biology a level (can't remember any specific examples from GCSE sorry) any question about osmosis you always get a mark for saying 'down the water potential gradient' even if the rest of your answer is complete bull. You just have to think like an examiner; what do they WANT you to put that makes it really easy for them to mark?

Thank you so much :redface:
I tend to rely on multiple sources (eg; the aqa textbook and the cgp guide) and that is what slows me down. I think ill just stick to cgp and memorising mark schemes etc..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JSDhaliwal
I know I'm utterly stupid for leaving revision this late but I'm just a really bad procrastinator and just didn't realize what an idiot I was being. I'm going to cut to the chase, I have 6 days till my exams kick in fully and at the moment I'm expecting myself to get mostly Bs and As which simply isn't good enough as I aspire to be a dentist. I need your advice on how to get a ton of revision done quickly and efficiently, I don't care if it means I'll be stuck to my revision book all day but I just need to be as efficient as possible. Please give me advice on what to do as i want at least mostly all A grades and a few A* but I'm really panicking and I'm unsure about whether I'll be able to fill this life long aspiration. Please help, I need it.

Hey. I'm in year 11 too, and always revise the day before - I seem to be doing fine so far. What I recommend is, use the CGP guides (apart from if you are doing history - then it's not detailed enough) and test yourself at the end of each chapter. Try and memorise as much as you can. Also, turn off / put your phone on silent. Give yourself small breaks after you've done a chunk of work; e.g. I have a 10 minute break after I do 35 minutes of work.Just focus on the techniques on how to answer a question. It's also really good to look at the specification for each subject so you can check off what you know and what you don't. How many exams do you have left?
Reply 14
I have about 11 exams left still, Geography is the real hurdle in my way

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have about 11 exams left still, Geography is the real hurdle in my way

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll be fine.... I have 17....:frown:
Original post by AminaOfAsgard
I'm sure you'll be fine.... I have 17....:frown:

How! :biggrin:
I only have 7 left hehehe! :ahhhhh::ahee:
Im in the exact same position as you!!!! Since my last exam (friday) i haven't done any revision and at most have done 2 maths papers....im a serious procrastinator.

I have 9 exams left and i guess just focus on the exams you have next week then on the weekend focus on the exams you have for the following week. (e.g. I've got history, maths, classical civilisation and b1 next week so I'm putting my main focus on them).

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aamirac
How! :biggrin:
I only have 7 left hehehe! :ahhhhh::ahee:

I have... wait for it....not in any particular order... History unit 1, english lang, computer science exam, b4-6, business case study exam, c4-6, p4-6, philosophy and ethics exam x2, b7, c7, p7, maths (c), maths (nc), further maths (c), further maths (nc) and history unit 2....... sooo many exams :frown:

I hate to be 'that guy' but you are kinda royally f*cked...you can still pull something out of the bag but it's quite unlikely...

Quick Reply