The Student Room Group

Resistivity Q (AS)

Can someone explain why you multiply by 6?

Reply 1
Original post by Patrick2810

You would have to multiply the length by 6 as the iron wire has been looped around the piece of paper. This means that if you were to stretch it all out It would be 6 times as long as the gauge length .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mo2351
You would have to multiply the length by 6 as the iron wire has been looped around the piece of paper. This means that if you were to stretch it all out It would be 6 times as long as the gauge length .

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know it is looped ?
Reply 3
How do you know it is looped ?

You just have to use the diagram. On the thin sheet of paper follow the the lines and you'll see that there are six lengths of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mo2351
You just have to use the diagram. On the thin sheet of paper follow the the lines and you'll see that there are six lengths of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 5

No worries mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my God. I did this exact past paper yesterday. Its January 2010 Edexcel right?

You use the equation R=P.L/A to get the resistance but times it by 6 because you have to count the wires in there which are 6 lengths.

Shocked I did this past paper yesterday and you asked a question on it today :tongue:
The spreadsheet questions at the end of the paper are a bit annoying but the paper does have low grade boundaries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest