The Student Room Group

How to stand out from other potential candidates in a interview.

Hey guys,

I've recently been applying for a lot of jobs recently now that I have a bit of experience in the field I want to go in.

1) Research on the company. Know the ins and outs of the interview panel (if names are given beforehand and how the department you're interviewing for operates). If the company has been in the news lately, and if they have, what for? For example, "X, already a well established private equity firm has shown no sign of slowing down and this is seen through their rapid growth and expansion internationally..." - Pretty vague, but you get the idea.
2) Communication and body language. This is a massive factor! Speak clearly and slowly, and always make eye contact. It not only shows the interviewer you're interested, but it makes them feel like you know what you're talking about, even if you don't! Confidence goes a long way!
3) Punctuality. Leave a first good impression, don't show up too early, but do not show up just on time! I would say be there at least 10-15 minutes beforehand.
4) Know the job you're applying for! What skills and qualities do you have that can relate to the job role and past experiences where you have demonstrated the use of your own skillset to accomplish or overcome a problem. "Why you want the job or what makes you suitable for this vacancy" will definitely come up, as well as "Past experiences or a time" when you have done so and so to achieve something.
5) When applying for loads of jobs, make sure you read the job descriptions carefully. You are more likely to send duplicate applications being advertised on different job boards otherwise! If you fit the bill in the job description then apply. It is highly likely you will be disregarded if you don't have the experience of skills, but no harm in trying I suppose.
6) If you struggle to get a job, find somewhere to volunteer or if you have contacts try and find out if you can overshadow someone in order to get some experience - in the field you want to do obviously, don't take any random job that won't help you in the future.
7) Tests. Practice some numerical reasoning or judgement tests online in case they throw something at you.
8) Dress the part and smell good!

I know most of you are students, but for the graduates that are unemployed on here, what are your views? I just wanted to know what are the factors that makes you more employable than someone else?
(edited 8 years ago)
Moved to Careers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending