The Student Room Group

How to use Hess' Law?

I am confused by the whole triangle system and I've never used it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could someone explain how I would use it to find the enthalpy of combustion of ethene?

The question has given me the following information:
H2O(l) -285.5
CO2(g) -393
Ethene C2H4(g) +52.0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I have done, and I'm not sure if it is correct (I didn't use the triangle/re-arranging method):

C2H4(g) + 3O2(g) -> 2CO2(g) + 2H2O(g)
ΔHc = sum(ΔHf of products) - sum(ΔHf of reactants)
ΔHc = [2(-393) + 2(-285.5)] - (52.0)
ΔHc = -1409 kJ mol-1

The answer is apparently -1009 kJ mol-1
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TARS
I am confused by the whole triangle system and I've never used it.

Could someone explain how I would use it to find the enthalpy of combustion of ethene?

The question has given me the following information:
H2O(l) -285.5
CO2(g) -393
Ethene C2H4(g) +52.0

This is what I have done, and I'm not sure if it is correct (I didn't use the triangle/re-arranging method):

ΔHc = sum(ΔHf of products) - sum(ΔHf of reactants)
ΔHc = [2(-393) + 2(-285.5)] - (52.0)
ΔHc = -1409 kJ mol-1

The answer is apparently -1009 kJ mol-1

Hi TARS,

Hess' law is fundamental in your understanding of thermodynamics as it is the basis of all energetics data.

I have prepared an interactive on Hess that you can see here

or if you would like to see the concept explained on video it can be accessed here

[video]https://youtu.be/c66cfA7eq_g[/video]
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Hi TARS,

Hess' law is fundamental in your understanding of thermodynamics as it is the basis of all energetics data.

I have prepared an interactive on Hess that you can see here

or if you would like to see the concept explained on video it can be accessed here

[video]https://youtu.be/c66cfA7eq_g[/video]

Thanks for your reply that looks very helpful and impressive! I'll check them out now
Original post by TARS
Thanks for your reply that looks very helpful and impressive! I'll check them out now

Just to let you know that there is a typo in the video (corrected in the animation) on about page 6

Quick Reply

Latest