The Student Room Group

Higher Apprenticeships - Key Messages!

Key Messages regarding Apprenticeships:

Not all A’ level entrants will go straight onto a higher apprenticeship, some job roles will require people to undertake an intermediate or an advanced, eg. Engineering normally due to PMO being a requirement, all engineering entrants undertake an intermediate before progressing. The route to a career might have a different path to simply starting on a higher

Entry requirements for apprenticeships will depend on the employer, and therefore may vary vacancy to vacancy. The employer will also be looking not just for academic qualifications but also the other skills that you are able to demonstrate

Make sure you spend a lot of time completing your application, remember they are job applications and as important as your UCAS application.

Remember for a higher or degree apprenticeship,you as a learner will not have to undertake a loan, the cost of the programme is paid for by your employer and the government.

You will be earning a salary as well as getting on the job experience

Some of the high profile employers that have advertised and recruited higher apprentices so far include: Cap Gemini,Unilever, CGI, BAE Systems, William Hill, BBC, Sky, BT Group, Experian, Airbus,Jaguar Landrover, Lafarge, Ford, Visa, Atkins, Atos Origin, Glaxo SmithKline,AXA, Neilson and Siemens to name a few

Many companies are now operating apprenticeship intakes alongside their traditional graduate intakes, and they are providing very positive feedback. Many companies are moving away from their traditional graduate routes, to increase their apprenticeship uptake.

Apprentices are frequently turning down full time offers at “Top 20 Universities” - to accept a Higher Apprenticeship

The expansion of Higher Apprenticeships is improving diversity in many companies - encouraging females into engineering the apprenticeship routes are increasing the number of female apprentices

Apprenticeships frequently enable learners the chance to see other areas of the business through our placements enabling people to see different opportunities there are in the wider business. Some Companies enable their higher apprentices to travel to other places around the world as part of their programme, for example India and USA. These are things which many university students do not get the chance to do

Many apprentices are based with top brand companies,and hold a permanent contract giving job security, the learning provider frequently delivers the learning on site and all apprentices are provided with paid time off to attend their study.

A main benefit is that as a higher apprentice even before graduating from the programme they will fully understand how the business works. This allows apprentices to be better equipped to do the work,rather than a graduate who is unfamiliar with the business processes and procedures.

Economy:

National Audit Office Report estimates that adult Apprenticeships deliver £18 of economic benefits for each £1 of Government investment

Learners:

Advanced Level apprentices earn between £77,000 and £117,000 more over their lifetime than those with lower level qualifications; this rises to £150,000 for those doing Higher Apprenticeships.

Employers:

70%report higher productivity and improved quality of product/service.

· Higher Apprenticeships cover 4 levels: L4 Certificate of Higher Education, L5 –Foundation Degree, HND L6 Degree, L7 Masters Degree (no Higher Apprenticeships currently but are under development via Trailblazers).

Scroll to see replies

If you have any questions about Higher Apprenticeships, feel free to ask us anything...
What are some good higher apprenticeships in engineeing (i.e. mechanical/aerospace) that are still open for this year
This has been a very useful post. Thanks.
Original post by gohmasses
is there vacancies for any aerospace engineering ones?

Hi ,
Unfortunately there is nothing live at the moment in Aerospace Engineering. Bae Systems Plc closed their vacancies in February, they have other similar roles available on their website http://www.baesystems.com/careers-rzz/careers-in-the-uk/apprenticeships/current-opportunities?_afrLoop=5216356681095000&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=apyhvokzb_82#!%40%40%3F_afrWindowId%3Dapyhvokzb_82%26_afrLoop%3D5216356681095000%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Dapyhvokzb_162

You can save a search on Find an apprenticeship so when a new vacancy goes live in your selected area it will send you a message.

Hope this helps
Thanks
Liz
Reply 7
are all apprenticeships all year round where you can apply anytime? and also since im more effective at the business industry, how much would i earn over my life time career in annual wages?
Original post by TanMan
are all apprenticeships all year round where you can apply anytime? and also since im more effective at the business industry, how much would i earn over my life time career in annual wages?

Hi

Yes, most Apprenticeships can start anytime throughout the year, although some employers do recruit at the same time every year. As for wages, it varies with job role and employers - I have attached a picture of some research which was done based on Apprenticeship wages to give you an idea -

Here is the full document.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/387319/bis-14-1281-apprenticeship-pay-survey-2014.pdf

Hope this helps
thanks
Liz
I also suggest checking out Capgemini which is an IT consultancy and offers one of the top IT apprenticesThe pay for Capgemini is very competitive for the Higher Apprenticeship route and it has one of the top paysPlease noteWith Capgemini you dont go straight into the degree, you first do a 2 years level 4 apprenticeship qualification then after those 2 years you get into the 2nd year of university. (but I assume its pretty similar for other HA's? Capgemini full HA course is 5 years)http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3462397
Original post by Apprenticeships-Liz
Key Messages regarding Apprenticeships:

Not all A’ level entrants will go straight onto a higher apprenticeship, some job roles will require people to undertake an intermediate or an advanced, eg. Engineering normally due to PMO being a requirement, all engineering entrants undertake an intermediate before progressing. The route to a career might have a different path to simply starting on a higher

Entry requirements for apprenticeships will depend on the employer, and therefore may vary vacancy to vacancy. The employer will also be looking not just for academic qualifications but also the other skills that you are able to demonstrate

Make sure you spend a lot of time completing your application, remember they are job applications and as important as your UCAS application.

Remember for a higher or degree apprenticeship,you as a learner will not have to undertake a loan, the cost of the programme is paid for by your employer and the government.

You will be earning a salary as well as getting on the job experience

Some of the high profile employers that have advertised and recruited higher apprentices so far include: Cap Gemini,Unilever, CGI, BAE Systems, William Hill, BBC, Sky, BT Group, Experian, Airbus,Jaguar Landrover, Lafarge, Ford, Visa, Atkins, Atos Origin, Glaxo SmithKline,AXA, Neilson and Siemens to name a few

Many companies are now operating apprenticeship intakes alongside their traditional graduate intakes, and they are providing very positive feedback. Many companies are moving away from their traditional graduate routes, to increase their apprenticeship uptake.

Apprentices are frequently turning down full time offers at “Top 20 Universities” - to accept a Higher Apprenticeship

The expansion of Higher Apprenticeships is improving diversity in many companies - encouraging females into engineering the apprenticeship routes are increasing the number of female apprentices

Apprenticeships frequently enable learners the chance to see other areas of the business through our placements enabling people to see different opportunities there are in the wider business. Some Companies enable their higher apprentices to travel to other places around the world as part of their programme, for example India and USA. These are things which many university students do not get the chance to do

Many apprentices are based with top brand companies,and hold a permanent contract giving job security, the learning provider frequently delivers the learning on site and all apprentices are provided with paid time off to attend their study.

A main benefit is that as a higher apprentice even before graduating from the programme they will fully understand how the business works. This allows apprentices to be better equipped to do the work,rather than a graduate who is unfamiliar with the business processes and procedures.

Economy:

National Audit Office Report estimates that adult Apprenticeships deliver £18 of economic benefits for each £1 of Government investment

Learners:

Advanced Level apprentices earn between £77,000 and £117,000 more over their lifetime than those with lower level qualifications; this rises to £150,000 for those doing Higher Apprenticeships.

Employers:

70%report higher productivity and improved quality of product/service.

· Higher Apprenticeships cover 4 levels: L4 Certificate of Higher Education, L5 –Foundation Degree, HND L6 Degree, L7 Masters Degree (no Higher Apprenticeships currently but are under development via Trailblazers).

Check out the key messages around apprenticeships. Very useful :smile: Any questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
Do you know about Higher Apprenticeships?
Do you know about Higher Apprenticeships?

I do now
Which companies are offering degree apprenticeships - and are there any sponsored degree apprenticeships for Computer Science / Software Engineering?
Original post by TrojanH
Which companies are offering degree apprenticeships - and are there any sponsored degree apprenticeships for Computer Science / Software Engineering?

Hi,

There are various employers offering Degree Apprenticeships - If you search on Find an Apprenticeship you will see those that are live to apply for at the minute:

https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeships?ApprenticeshipLevel=Higher&Hash=1558324120&Keywords=degree&Latitude=52.48535&Longitude=-1.86152&Location=Birmingham%20%28West%20Midlands%29&LocationType=NonNational&PageNumber=1&ResultsPerPage=5&SearchAction=Search&SearchField=All&SearchMode=Keyword&SortType=Relevancy&WithinDistance=0

They are updated daily so if there is nothing you like on today keep checking.

thanks
Liz
Original post by TrojanH

Capgemini is!

Check them out here
https://www.uk.capgemini.com/careers/your-career-path/apprentices

Thanks mate, I've found them and it looks very interesting. I'm just a bit suspicious - there must be some sort of catch, you're getting paid, a free degree, work experience, etc...

When you do the degree do you live at the Uni or do you do work + degree? Is it a poor degree from whats seen as a "worse" uni?

Why are only a select few Unis participating in the degree scheme and how come the degree at Aston is for Digital Tech Media solutions or something... are there any schemes that allow you to undertake a full Software Engineering/CompSci degree on the apprenticeship as thats really what I'm looking for?

I have ABB predictions in STEM subjects, 11 A*-C GCSEs, I believe I fit all the entry for most schemes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
Thanks mate, I've found them and it looks very interesting. I'm just a bit suspicious - there must be some sort of catch, you're getting paid, a free degree, work experience, etc...

When you do the degree do you live at the Uni or do you do work + degree? Is it a poor degree from whats seen as a "worse" uni?

Why are only a select few Unis participating in the degree scheme and how come the degree at Aston is for Digital Tech Media solutions or something... are there any schemes that allow you to undertake a full Software Engineering/CompSci degree on the apprenticeship as thats really what I'm looking for?

I have ABB predictions in STEM subjects, 11 A*-C GCSEs, I believe I fit all the entry for most schemes.

Hi,

What I would recommend is for you to speak to the Uni that is offering this as an Apprenticeship to talk about specific schemes they are offering.

For these opportunities you would work and do the degree whilst getting paid. The employer would support you with the learning and studying.

However, all vacancies are different and employers may offer different support and opportunities for you.

With each vacancy there are contact details which you can call or email to speak to them about the vacancy.

thanks
Liz
Hi,

What I would recommend is for you to speak to the Uni that is offering this as an Apprenticeship to talk about specific schemes they are offering.

For these opportunities you would work and do the degree whilst getting paid. The employer would support you with the learning and studying.

However, all vacancies are different and employers may offer different support and opportunities for you.

With each vacancy there are contact details which you can call or email to speak to them about the vacancy.

thanks
Liz

Hi Liz,

Thanks for this - I've just finished applying for several schemes. Can you give me a link to any companies that offer the sponsored degree at Manchester Met / Nottingham Trent / Nothumbria, as the only unis I can find are south and I live in the North. It seems to me that capgemini is the only company that offer the software engineering degree apprenticeship, would you happen to know when GCHQ/CIG/ anybody else open their apprenticeship programme?

Thanks.
Original post by TrojanH
Hi Liz,

Thanks for this - I've just finished applying for several schemes. Can you give me a link to any companies that offer the sponsored degree at Manchester Met / Nottingham Trent / Nothumbria, as the only unis I can find are south and I live in the North. It seems to me that capgemini is the only company that offer the software engineering degree apprenticeship, would you happen to know when GCHQ/CIG/ anybody else open their apprenticeship programme?

Thanks.

Hi,

I don't know about any upcoming apprenticeship programmes, we can only promote when they are posted onto Find an Apprenticeship.

You are best to contact each Uni you are near to see if they have employers lined up to offer the Apprenticeship Scheme that your interested in.

Sorry that I cannot help you with this one.

thanks
Liz

Quick Reply