The Student Room Group

Transferring to Maths at King's

I'm trying to transfer to Mathematics with Management and Finance at King's College London.

Currently study Computing at Imperial and hate the course and the university. I achieved A*A* in Maths and Further Maths and an A in Economics. Do you guys think it's worth creating a new application on UCAS and applying for their course? I'm worried it's too late.

Also, does anyone know if there were any vacancies there last year through Clearing? Just in case the above option doesn't work out.

Thanks.
Reply 1
This isn't helpful advice but I just wanted to say: f*** those guys at Imperial CS. Hope you can do what you need to.
Original post by r3l3ntl3ss
I'm trying to transfer to Mathematics with Management and Finance at King's College London.

Currently study Computing at Imperial and hate the course and the university. I achieved A*A* in Maths and Further Maths and an A in Economics. Do you guys think it's worth creating a new application on UCAS and applying for their course? I'm worried it's too late.

Also, does anyone know if there were any vacancies there last year through Clearing? Just in case the above option doesn't work out.

Thanks.

Phone King's up and ask them if they are still taking applications and, if so, whether they would consider you.

FWIW King's were in clearing for that course last year, as well as straight Maths. However, this was not the case in 2013. This year, who knows???
Original post by TVIO
This isn't helpful advice but I just wanted to say: f*** those guys at Imperial CS. Hope you can do what you need to.

ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............. *starts crying*

OP, sorry I can't be of much help to you :/ I was just wondering, what do you not like about Imperial/CS?

Hope all goes well for you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Phone King's up and ask them if they are still taking applications and, if so, whether they would consider you.

FWIW King's were in clearing for that course last year, as well as straight Maths. However, this was not the case in 2013. This year, who knows???

Ah I see, thanks. I just visited the UCAS Course Search website and they're not taking any more applications for it so that's got me a bit down. I guess it's all down to pure luck now whether they have it available in clearing... really hoping they do.

P.S. How do you know that the course was available last year, do you have a website by any chance that has collected all the data or do you remember seeing it available at the time?

Original post by Brubeckian

OP, sorry I can't be of much help to you :/ I was just wondering, what do you not like about Imperial/CS?

I hadn't done any programming before coming and thought they'd at least take teaching it at a fair pace and not breeze through it. We started in October and a month later we had our first exam which I horribly failed because I still hadn't got used to it. The main exam that was in January I worked really hard for but it just went awfully, haven't bothered since.

That as well as most of the other modules I found shockingly dull; just wish I'd gotten out earlier.

Imperial itself there's not much to do at all, people are alright but there's literally no social life since students don't ever have time to do anything but work.
(edited 8 years ago)

Thanks.

Hi. I really want to go to Imperial to do computing. Did you have to do an interview to get a place or was it purely on your grades?
Reply 6
Original post by AminaOfAsgard
Hi. I really want to go to Imperial to do computing. Did you have to do an interview to get a place or was it purely on your grades?

interview
interview

also, are the lecturers there any good? and is the work load too much?
Reply 8
Original post by AminaOfAsgard
also, are the lecturers there any good? and is the work load too much?

It's Imperial, of course the workload is too much - it's renowned for that.

There were only ever two lecturers that I found were good and kept our attention for long lengths of time. Most of the others either had a really strong accent that I found hard to follow (I'm a Home student in case you're wondering) or just seemed like they didn't want to be doing the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah I see, thanks. I just visited the UCAS Course Search website and they're not taking any more applications for it so that's got me a bit down. I guess it's all down to pure luck now whether they have it available in clearing... really hoping they do.

P.S. How do you know that the course was available last year, do you have a website by any chance that has collected all the data or do you remember seeing it available at the time?

There are no websites listing all the courses in clearing last year. I have a print copy of The Daily Telegraph's special clearing supplement for the past two years.

Even though King's say they they aren't taking any more applications, you could email the department with brief details of your qualifications and desire to apply through clearing, just to test the water.
Reply 10

Really loved the look of their course. Their offer: A*A*AA (understandable, it's a competitive course) and a 1 in STEP II. Nope. Not justifiable at all, they can go to hell for that.
Original post by TVIO
Really loved the look of their course. Their offer: A*A*AA (understandable, it's a competitive course) and a 1 in STEP II. Nope. Not justifiable at all, they can go to hell for that.

Not gonna lie, the STEP offers I've been hearing about this year are a joke. The maths that we had this year is shockingly easy, there's no need for STEP whatsoever.
Original post by TVIO

Maybe it's some weird experiment. Or maybe it's so that people make Imperial their first choice over Cambridge? idk.
Reply 13
Maybe it's some weird experiment. Or maybe it's so that people make Imperial their first choice over Cambridge? idk.

Didn't work in that case, and successfully angered me a lot as well to the point where I'll avoid them for any education or opportunities after my undergraduate.

Quick Reply