The Student Room Group

PCET vs ITT

I've been given a conditional offer for both a PGCE PCET at the university of Sunderland to do psychology A-level teacher training, as well as Initial Teacher Training at sacred heart to do Psychology, Sociology and R.E. (as far as I can tell) in a few secondary school classes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas which one would be the better one to choose. Preferably I would just like to do A-Level psychology, but I know that might not be the feasible option, which is why I think Sacred Heart might be the better option in terms of employability, but I think doing a course run by an actual university could look better on a CV maybe?

Thoughts?
No idea about those courses (sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon).

As for whether a 'real uni' course is better. I can imagine people arguing either way. Some might say the 'old-fashioned' Uni PGCE is better as you get more theoretical grounding, others that the new style courses are more 'hands on'. I actually don't think there is as much difference as people make out (I did a SCITT course, so some of our seminars were held in schools rather than Unis...but we still went to Uni lectures with the 'traditional' students, had placements of approx the same length, wrote the same essays they did....all in all, pretty similiar to the 'traditional route'.)

As far as I can make out, there isn't too much of a preference from employers as to whether you did SCITT, or a School Direct, or a Uni PGCE. Or the type of Uni you did the course at even (I know in other professions there is some snobbery factor as to which Uni is better/worse, and yeah MAYBE a few Heads care about this, but on the whole those I have spoken to just care that you have QTS and don't really give a damn where from!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending