The Student Room Group

mathematics gcse

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to fail maths... Like I've done all the past papers and I'm still getting C's and stuff. I can't seem to get my head out of this 'bubble' of hating maths but now I actually enjoy maths after all those past papers... But even now I'm getting low grades. I need help.
Original post by ryanrobinson
I'm taking English lit, English lang, Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, RE, History, IT and French... gosh, why did I take French :frown:

What about you? And yeah, the option day seems like a long time ago. Sometimes I still can't believe I'm actually doing the exams right now

haha I am bsically the opposite. I have almost forgot what subjects i do and just see a subject as revision. I am literally blind from exams now if that makes any sense. Btw I took all the same subjects as u apart from french i did german which i also regret. How do u find your other subjects?

I use to love them all except French, before they got difficult. Right now, my favourite subject is actually Maths. :/

And wow, that's such a coincidence, why did u take German btw?
Original post by aamirac
I'm going to fail maths... Like I've done all the past papers and I'm still getting C's and stuff. I can't seem to get my head out of this 'bubble' of hating maths but now I actually enjoy maths after all those past papers... But even now I'm getting low grades. I need help.

Do you know the specific topics you're having trouble with? Maybe you could focus on them more.
Original post by Firenze26
haha I am bsically the opposite. I have almost forgot what subjects i do and just see a subject as revision. I am literally blind from exams now if that makes any sense. Btw I took all the same subjects as u apart from french i did german which i also regret. How do u find your other subjects?

I use to love them all except French, before they got difficult. Right now, my favourite subject is actually Maths. :/

I used to really like German but for GCSEs I got the strictest teacher in my school and she makes the subject like a chore as if I am her slave.............
Reply 64
Mathswatch
Hegarty maths
Past papers

Revise what you don't know.
Original post by bluesandgreens
I'm taking English lit, English lang, Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, RE, History, IT and French... gosh, why did I take French :frown:

What about you? And yeah, the option day seems like a long time ago. Sometimes I still can't believe I'm actually doing the exams right now

French is the best! English lit, English lang, Maths, Bio, Chemistry, Physics, RE, Health and Social, Spanish, Italian and French
I dont even want to think about these exams:afraid:

Oh my gosh,a linguist 😱.

😂, gosh my teacher would have loved you cause everyone in my class were basically forced to do it. :/

I find language interesting though but it's too difficult for me, maybe if I did spanish though but yeah...

Exams? Kind of hard not to think about it cause we have the main ones coming up next week, geez, 50% maths & RE, 25% History and 60% of english lang 😣😥. I'm sure you're gonna do well though :smile:

I used to really like German but for GCSEs I got the strictest teacher in my school and she makes the subject like a chore as if I am her slave.............

Well, if it helps, I've heard of a french class who were forced to do their speaking CAs under 2-3 weeks when usually, they give you 1 or more months to work on it.

How's it going btw?
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you know the specific topics you're having trouble with? Maybe you could focus on them more.

It's a long list that's for sure. I think it's because there are just so many topics to learn and only a fraction of them actually come into the exams. Plus I think it's because I was never really taught all the top grade stuff, so I never really know what to do at the end (I just learnt it myself with a tutor to help me instead) so also the fact that I've only ever got a B once and everything below it.(never below D though) so I do feel a little discouraged atm unfortunately...

**It would be nice to see my teachers face though if I magically get an 'unrealistic' A though**

Well, if it helps, I know a french class who were forced to do their speaking CAs under 2-3 weeks when usually, they give you 1 or more months to work on it.

How's it going btw?
Ok... I got ALL B grades and one A in the cw and am hoping for a B overall. Im just glad the controlled assessments are over. God the speaking exams were complete hell........
Original post by aamirac
It's a long list that's for sure. I think it's because there are just so many topics to learn and only a fraction of them actually come into the exams. Plus I think it's because I was never really taught all the top grade stuff, so I never really know what to do at the end (I just learnt it myself with a tutor to help me instead) so also the fact that I've only ever got a B once and everything below it.(never below D though) so I do feel a little discouraged atm unfortunately...

**It would be nice to see my teachers face though if I magically get an 'unrealistic' A though**

Try and revise the 'basics' first like algebra, area, volume, perimeter,indices and trigonometry and a bunch of formulas like interior and all that. Once you know that, you can basically get a C or higher, I think.

Maybe do a couple of past papers, rip the pages you don't know or got horribly wrong and learn the topic it connects to or asks people online. Remember to Always write down your solution cos if you look at the mark schemes, some questions give you a mark for giving a certain equation even though they're still unsolved.

You can do it, btw, there is still a bit more time. Who knows, maybe you can even get an A, you never know.

Don't get discouraged. If it helps, I used to flop history so bad, my teacher actually thought he marked the wrong paper cause my grades in maths were so much better like the equivalent of comparing a B or A grade to a U or F grade and that was in my native language but now, I'm actually passing it in a foreign language, with a relatively good grade and I'm even considering it for A-levels. Yes, you got those grades but you can still improve.
Well, if it helps, I know a french class who were forced to do their speaking CAs under 2-3 weeks when usually, they give you 1 or more months to work on it.

How's it going btw?

Ok... I got ALL B grades and one A in the cw and am hoping for a B overall. Im just glad the controlled assessments are over. God the speaking exams were complete hell........

... wow, those are amazing grades.

I'm actually barely passing French with a C, a really low one at that.

Gosh, the speaking exams... well, at least they were better than the writing. Heck, I still don't know where you use the accents and the weird ç and û

I hope you get the grade you wanted :smile:

Gosh, the speaking exams... well, at least they were better than the writing. Heck, I still don't know where you use the accents and the weird ç and û

haha thanks same for u. I really preferred the writing though coz u could make it up a bit on the spot but on speaking i spent ages trying to learn the 200 -300 words or whatever it was. No more languages. YAY!
Try and revise the 'basics' first like algebra, area, volume, perimeter,indices and trigonometry and a bunch of formulas like interior and all that. Once you know that, you can basically get a C or higher, I think.

Maybe do a couple of past papers, rip the pages you don't know or got horribly wrong and learn the topic it connects to or asks people online. Remember to Always write down your solution cos if you look at the mark schemes, some questions give you a mark for giving a certain equation even though they're still unsolved.

You can do it, btw, there is still a bit more time. Who knows, maybe you can even get an A, you never know.

Don't get discouraged. If it helps, I used to flop history so bad, my teacher actually thought he marked the wrong paper cause my grades in maths were so much better like the equivalent of comparing a B or A grade to a U or F grade and that was in my native language but now, I'm actually passing it in a foreign language, with a relatively good grade and I'm even considering it for A-levels. Yes, you got those grades but you can still improve.

Aww thank you! Yeah I guess I still do have time to put everything that I have learnt in the past 3 years together... We'll see about that maths grade. Thank you for the encouragement :colondollar:

haha thanks same for u. I really preferred the writing though coz u could make it up a bit on the spot but on speaking i spent ages trying to learn the 200 -300 words or whatever it was. No more languages. YAY!

Thanks :smile:. I actually finished my last language exam two weeks ago I think and it was so... wow. I'm actually done with french forever! unless my mom forces me to speak French but I'll probably accidentally ask for rat poison instead of fish or something. Have you finished yours yet?
Original post by aamirac
Aww thank you! Yeah I guess I still do have time to put everything that I have learnt in the past 3 years together... We'll see about that maths grade. Thank you for the encouragement :colondollar:

I hope you do well :smile: and good luck.

If you do ever need some tips or like help with stuff, you have loads of people who can help you, your tutor, your friends, your teacher, the internet or through someone in TSR. So yeah... just do your best

Thanks :smile:. I actually finished my last language exam two weeks ago I think and it was so... wow. I'm actually done with french forever! unless my mom forces me to speak French but I'll probably accidentally ask for rat poison instead of fish or something. Have you finished yours yet?
no my exams are on wednesday. i'll probably only revise the day before though coz i really dont care about german in comparison to the other exams next week. how much did u revise for french???
Original post by aamirac

You will be able to get higher than a C, if you've done a lot of past papers, it will pay off.
Try to get the first 9-10 questions right on each paper, that will probably guarantee you a C
They usually go up in terms of grade, so the first bunch are easier than the last, which means you should concentrate on them in your revision and when you can answer them, move onto the harder ones. Just remember to always read the question carefully, I've lost countless marks by not doing this previously.

Good luck
Reply 77
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Omg yes i've noticed this. Since we do two exam papers though, it is possible to still get an A* if you get 75 on the first one and 87 on the second one. I always do better on the second paper so i'm hoping this is the case. Last year you only needed 164 overall out of 200 to get an A*. Hopefully the grade boundaries won't be made higher this year

Yeah, but hopefully its more difficult than normal. I hate easy maths papers. My school went with edexcel, and I hate it. AQA offers a challenge, and has a great deal more problem solving, which is what maths should be about.

no my exams are on wednesday. i'll probably only revise the day before though coz i really dont care about german in comparison to the other exams next week. how much did u revise for french???

Really? What exam board are you in?

Revise? Well, I didn't revise much outside of after school sessions that my teacher holds once a week or every other week since february which I don't totally advise. Pls don't do what I did 😅

Did you do german before taking it for GCSE?
My situation in maths is weird. A week ago i was averaging out on 60-70/100 each paper. Then this week i have gone on mathswatch and learnt everything i didnt know in the D-B categorys. Now today im gonna finish A/A* category.

Then I plan on getting 90/100 on the next past paper i attempt :biggrin:

Kinda stressed about Maths now because i was told that i needed an A to do A-level maths and I need A level maths to do A level chemistry :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest